main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJimmer

DarthJimmer Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see a Sidious book taking place post ANH.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Official cover!

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I like the cover from a philosophical standpoint, but man, am I tired of seeing those same publicity photo heads over and over. That said, it would be cool of the Luke and Han photos were close-ups of their own respective cover photos, and the design just sort of rotates through all three people while keeping the same layout

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Cover isn't really doing much for me...

I don't mind the idea, but it lacks the actual definition that, say, Han and Lando on the Scoundrels cover have. In contrast, this comes across way more like a Photoshop job, as something about Leia just looks... off.

I do, however, like Luke being on the Empire side of the page. :p

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hardback? :rolleyes: Say goodbye to my purchase then, ever since this Lucas Books imprint arose the average online discount price has become £15-18 for a SW hardback. SF/Fantasy hardbacks can go to £9-12 from an RRP of £18-20, but not SW ones now. It's short-term stupidity as I refuse to buy at that price.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  9. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    Leia's not wearing sleeves. Poodoo is about to get real!

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 23, 2003
    I love it. Can't wait to give it a read.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm tired of boring covers and I'm tired of halfassed Photoshop jobs. This cover is not helping on either point. If all they want is the movie faces of the big three, bring back Struzan and have it actually look like something. Man, I miss the days of actual cover art.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But if it's not taken straight from the movie, how will people recognize the characters as the Big Three?!?

13. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Bring back the real "art"!

That said, I'm looking forward to this book...if only to see if it meshes with Brian Woods' Star Wars comic from Dark Horse...set in about the same time as this book...supposedly.

14. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I love the cover. Leia looks badass. It's about freaking time.

agentkrycek and krtmd like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Is it wrong that my first thought was that this strongly resembles the Abyss cover? Besides the color scheme at least.

16. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    LucasBooks has been around since Vector Prime in 1999. Inflation happens.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You know, I distinctly remember being the only person who absolutely loved Jon Foster's Force Heretic covers--everyone thought they were too abstract and weird-looking. Funny what several years of Photoshop will do about that.

Funny thing is, cover price for VP was only $2 less than it was for Scoundrels. The change is that in VP's day, there'd be 4-5 paperbacks for every hardcover. It's not that HCs are so much more now, it's that there's so much more of them.

18. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Isn't this beating a dead horse already? Why do we want 40 years of 3 year's time span?

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, this book is actually not set in the first of those three years, which is where every single other thing ever is set. Razor's Edge is just sitting there in 2 ABY, being all like, "Hey, you guys all have fun trying to be the first story after ANH! I'll just be over here, hanging out, just me, River of Chaos, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and a few Marvels!"

Starkeiller, Darth_Foo and CooperTFN like this.
  20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    :p
    As on the cover, yeah pretty meh, I am really starting to miss those old X-Wing covers

Reaper63 likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    2 ABY is the cool kids' table?

Reaper63 likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Depends on what Marvels we're talking about here.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not to that extent!

How come then there's been a £2-3 price spike only in the last 5 months? Look at the price of Star Wars X-Wing Mercy Kill and then look at the likes of Scoundrels and DOTJ: Into The Void.

Of course, it could be said the fault lies less with Lucas Books and more with online booksellers not discounting the SW hardbacks to the same degree they were doing, but again, a recent change. Why? What lies behind it?

My copy of X-Wing: Mercy Kill has Century, not Lucas Books, look on Amazon and it comes as the former not the latter. From Scoundrels onwards Lucas Books. Frankly, I suspect the same chicanery being done on books by Lucas Books, as Titan Books do on the TPBs in the UK - they whack the price up in various ways and expect to get away with it.

Why does this matter at all? We're in a time where wages are squeezed greatly, costs of living are high and disposable income low. In this environment a few quid difference does decide a purchase, it's why some comic creators are pricing their issues at $2.99 and not $3.99 for instance. They know the lower price point actually gets them higher overall sales!

Zorrixor likes this.
  24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I rather like the cover. While it's not up to the X-Wing series or Scoundrels covers, it's a nice color mix, slightly more original composition than many other covers, especially the FotJ and LotF covers, and while the faces are stock, at least they put Leia in an outfit that is far out of her normal apparel. It may not be highly artistic or a masterwork, but it is well done and a step in the right direction.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Damned recession. In the old days, Del Rey and Lucasbooks had money to commission actual covers.

Before the dark times. Before the Empire. :p

--Adm. Nick

Reaper63, Grievousdude and Zorrixor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.