main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Essential Guides or why bother?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, May 25, 2015.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    This is similar to my last thread. I loved the New Essential Guides from the old EU. What I wonder is, will the Lucasfilm Story Group release canon ones, and if it's even worth it.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If you like visuals and stats, sure why not? You don't have to limit yourself it's completely a choice and it doesn't invalidate the work put in or the gorgeous art work.

Barriss_Coffee and ArtSchmo like this.
  3. ArtSchmo

ArtSchmo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2015
    I own all Essential Guides. The information contained in them is just as valid now as it has been for the past 20 years or so. The art has always been gorgeous and I could spend countless hours devouring all the information within. I see very little point in getting any future essential guides, as they would only contain "canon" information and would therefore be spectacularly devoid of content.

Darth_Henning and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Of course they will. Why?

[​IMG]

Agent M, BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  5. ArtSchmo

ArtSchmo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 2, 2015
    Yes, the artwork. As an artist, these guides and sourcebooks have always been a huge inspiration. I especially adore the work of Mr. Chris Trevas, and I can only hope to reach his level of expertise some day.

[​IMG]

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Right now the guides coming out seem geared more towards a younger audience. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd like to see more advanced fare later on, once the NEU universe gets some more meat on it.

But yes, Chris Trevas is amazing.

ArtSchmo likes this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd actually say that the Essential Guide to Warfare is still worth buying, not only because it has a good narrative on its own, but big chunks of Tarkin are based directly off of stuff from it.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...for the Queen?

Agent M, Jedi Ben, ArtSchmo and 3 others like this.
  9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    She asked nicely.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A galaxy map would be good. And pictures of who everyone is.

11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    It won't be worth it for at least another 6 years till after the new trilogy is done and some EU content actually exists to write about.

It will happen (though likely under another name - Ultimate Guides?) but no time soon.

Dr. Steve Brule and ArtSchmo like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't doubt that we will see new Essential Guides at some point, though like Darth_Henning said, we might not see them until the canon continuity has expanded to the point where there's actually enough to write books like those about, and they may or may not still be called "Essential Guides." Will they be worth it? Sure, especially if they match the high quality of Essential Guide to Warfare or some of the later releases. (And if Del Rey and DK ever combined their forces on some sort of "Essential Guide"-type series? It probably can't or won't happen, but oh, the possibilities...)

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I find New Essential Guide to Characters nostalgic. No Great Schism retcon, no Caedus, no Grevious, no Revan, Sidious and Palpatine have separate entries, Darth Bane has a purple lightsaber

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The Queen does not need to know.

CooperTFN and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I never buy essential guides for the very reason that they will never be comprehensive. Star Wars is always growing.

Also do the guides actually tell you anything you don't already know?:confused:

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Do you have every single book, Adult, YA, comic issue, game, etc?
    I don't and have learned a lot.

17. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    No, but I use wookiepedia and it don't cost me a dime:p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Touche. What did you do before wookieepedia?
    Also gave me things to look up that I probably wouldn't have found without the guides giving me a starting point.

Cushing's Admirer and Iron_lord like this.
  19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I used to lay in bed att night going through every star wars fact I knew and try to make sense of it all.....seriously

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The best guides have never been simple summaries but actually have contributed new material.

I'm not certain they do, but I think this is the case for both the Essential Atlas and Guide to Warfare.

Well, that's a recipe for insomnia.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Force, Atlas and Warfare guides really helped expand the lore of the galaxy for me. All of the different Force groups, different planets and an updated map since the one in the NJO books, the different wars that I wanted to know about etc.
    The Tech, Aliens, Characters, Ships and whatever other guides I've missed gave me an idea of what everything looks like.
    And so much more.

22. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I remember once reading a basic guide on just the films and the characters when I was Eleven and reading about Boba Fett surviving the Sarlaac Pit and I was just mindblown, I actually thought there was an Episode VII I hadn't seen

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, you weren't wrong..... Just years early.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really enjoyed the alien species Guides and the vessel and vehicles because it gave me detailed visuals and names. :)

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Vehicles guide let me see what the Vong ships looked like so points for that.