main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New EU: What do you want to be Re-canonized?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DreamingGod, Feb 20, 2015.

1. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    The old wiped away, and the new begun. Except, as the Re-canonized EU thread shows us, Disney is smart enough to realize the EU is a veritable goldmine of lore to flesh out a universe, giving it 40 years of deep time. Of course, the Legends universe made many blunders, and some of it needs to be cleared, especially the post-ROTJ stuff, but we can hold on to the hope of our favorites pieces being elevated to full-on canon status.

With that said, what do YOU hope is added back into Canon? What do you think is likely? Now it'd be easy to say "All of Legends" but, as above, the post-ROTJ stuff is a no-go. Most people had things they disliked and wanted excised to begin with (FotJ/LotF).

For me, I want a lot of the old Sith and Old Republic lore tied into what we know. I want the Red Sith to exist, I want Ziost, and the Sith language. I also want Darth Revan to be canon, not as he is or was, but something more.

In many ways, TOR itself could 'kind of' happen, if we moved the dates closer, and presumed that the Sith who took over the galaxy that are mentioned from time to time, then fell to make way for Darth Bane could be the Empire we see in TOR.

Anyways, I want some of the old parts of the KotOR and GAotS to be re-canonized.

What about you?

2. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Please, let's never confuse FotJ/LotF with the post-RotJ EU from TTT to NJO. A soft reboot just before the YVW would've suited me just fine.
    What would be important for me to see recanonized would be the 'minor' characters: Give us Syal and Myri Antilles having their own adventures in the ST era, and the Errant Venture; give us Winter and Tycho as friends of the family that a hero turns to for help at some point. These are the types of characters who's lives and legacies were Star Wars to me for most of my fandom. You don't need to recanonize the grand, sweeping events they were part of, or previous works about them, just bring back the people that made the Galaxy Far Far Away a living, breathing, familiar place.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Jedi vs Sith because, you know, wooden spaceships.

The glory of JvS aside, I'd like a lot of the Old Sith stuff retained. It has essentially no influence on what they're doing in the films anymore than it ever did on the PT or OT, but it's the sort of stuff that "frames" what I think about the Jedi, the Sith, etc, and... yeah, I don't mind new stories, but I'd like the basic ideas they use to stay the same- and if they don't want to do that, I'd like them to not be lazy and actually be creative enough to come up with their own ideas.

That's always the killer for me on reboots. I don't mind new ideas, but I don't like being sold a character called "Darth Revan" who is not Darth Revan. That's just cashing in on the name, and lazy. If they want to create a whole new origin story? Sure thing, but do what the old stories had to do, and come up with an entirely new story if you want to do that.

So... yeah. Re-Canonise KOTOR? Go for it. But don't bastardise it for the sake of bastardising. That's just laziness, and is what TOR did, and I will enjoy it no more if the NEU does that than I did when TOR did it.

In contrast, I'm someone who actually enjoyed the Mortis stuff, so if they want to make more of that, and do more with those characters, and come up with an entirely different idea for the Sith Order based on that? Sure, go ahead, maybe it'll be cool, and maybe I'll actually enjoy it, because I'm totally open to seeing new ideas and reading new concepts- but not bastardisations that just try to cash in by using the name.

DurararaFTW, Gamiel, RafSwi7 and 6 others like this.
  4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I still don't understand why LFL/Disney won't re-canonize everything that will not interfere with what they are planing to do with Star Wars. Everything post-ROTJ? I understand the need for a clean slate for that and I don't object. Stories from the old Clone Wars multi-media project? That ship has sailed already, so I get it. Things set in the very distant past like Dawn of the Jedi? They sure don't interfere with anything we are getting now, but I can understand why Disney may want to keep that as Legends, in case it wants to tell a different version of the origins of the Jedi.

But things like the KOTOR comics as Zorrixor said, the Dark Times comics (ha! bet you didn't see that one coming from me ;) ), the Nomad story with Darca Nyl, some arcs from the Empire comics, Knight Errant and everything else that has no chance to mess with anyone's future plans for Star Wars...why not bring it back? It will only enrich the Star Wars nu-canon universe. In the stories I mentioned (just some that I had on the top of my head; I'm sure there are others) there are only original characters that haven't appeared anywhere else, and movie characters that do appear in them, have relatively small and very flexible roles. Disney wants to make a Vader movie set a few months after ROTS, the same when Dark Times takes place? Great idea, do it! But Vader appears every now and then in the comic series, and nothing in it has such impact that would require that you read the comics to understand the new movie/book/comic/tv show and vice versa. Nomad from Star Wars tales? No way it will contradict anything you may come up with, unless you decide to use Darca Nyl in it and completely change his story. And lets be honest, there is no reason at all to change the story of Nyl in Nomad, other than for the sake of changing it. These are just examples from me, no doubt others can think of many other stories that comply with what I mentioned.
    By bringing those things back you will only enrich the new canon. Most of these stories are pretty open ended, so you can expand on them, or just leave them as they are in case you don't want to. You lose nothing. You will only show respect to the fans and creators of those stories, and I don't think Disney will object from getting some extra cash by re-publishing them as part of the new canon.

Now, if the question was more intended as "what details, elements and/or smaller things from the old eu you'd like to see in the new one", then I have to say I'd like to see a lot of things back. Things like planets, alien species, ships, droids and other technologies...we are already getting them one by one anyway. It's only a matter of time imo.

5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    That's always the killer for me on reboots. I don't mind new ideas, but I don't like being sold a character called "Darth Revan" who is not Darth Revan. That's just cashing in on the name, and lazy. If they want to create a whole new origin story? Sure thing, but do what the old stories had to do, and come up with an entirely new story if you want to do that.

That's pretty much what I expect them to do, sadly. I could be wrong. Hope I'm wrong.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This x100, a great example.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    KOTOR would be great to keep, It's definitely a era that I need to explore more. The only other era I would Re-canonize would maybe be the dark times era or the era before TPM , I'm fine with the clone wars show replacing the comics even though the Republic run was one the best.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and spicer like this.
  8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Pretty much everything before Force Unleashed at the bare minimum, and Shadows of the Empire.

The rest I can kind of accept as being tossed... not because I want it to be, but because I think it's all more likely to be interfered with.

Though many OT era stories can probably survive somewhat intact... but it's all gonna depend. 0BBY/ABY is now as crowded as the Clone Wars era if you keep everything, maybe moreso.

9. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I care about the characters. And I'm on the other side of the argument. I prefer the post-RotJ material...specifically, the characters. I like the Rogues and the Wraiths. I like Corran Horn, Mirax, Jysella and Valin. I like Thrawn and Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jacen and Jaina and Anakin Solo. I like Vestara. I like Winter. Etc. Etc. Etc. I would love to have most of these characters brought back. I think I'd even accept if their backgrounds were changed a little.

Here's the kicker though. You really can't make the argument that any Legends material will or won't conflict with the NEU. Why not? Because from interviews and comments of various NEU content creators it's clear that there is no pre-developed storyline. The new canon story of SW will be made up as we go...just like it was before. I really don't think they will take whole books, comics story arcs, etc. and make them canon. Everything will remain Legends and new content creators will be able to mine the Legends material for ideas to use in their own stories.

10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Nothing, as expected from an old EU fanatic like myself. They scrapped it so they can make their own canon, so may as well go all the way. The Legendsverse is interesting by itself, so I'd prefer it's maintained in some way, perhaps with short stories released during the old periods until a time comes when it can be fully continued.

Ulicus and Pearlsaber like this.
  11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, part of me hopes they keep the mining of the old EU to a minimum. They wanted to scrap it all and start with a blank slate, so... make use of it. Give us your own stories, your own characters, your own follow up of ROTJ, etc. Give us a new universe that's as rich and interesting as the old one was. Beats the heck out of getting a bunch of retread characters who are neither faithful enough to the original to keep us Old EU Fanatics (can we start calling ourselves the Old Folks Home?) happy, nor original enough to be interesting in their own right.

blackmyron, Zorrixor and spicer like this.
  12. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
  13. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    They better make something completely brilliant to replace Shadows of the Empire.

Darth_Pevra and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd like Dawn of the Jedi to stick around, it won't but... that's my own little EU dream.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

Plagueis the conniving capitalist as Palpatine's master.
    Everything in Labyrinth of Evil, including the damn chair.
    Eldon Ax.
    The Vong. Those anti-technology zealots have a place. Dammit.
    Vergere all the way through Destiny's Way.

16. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

+1

I've grown up with the EU, particularly the NJO. But, I'm willing to let them give us something new.

Marvel has put me at ease so far (although it's early). It will be interesting to see how things develop in HTTJ. I'm sure it will be nothing groundbreaking, but it is a start.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Mara Jade, TTT and NJO should be kept, at least re-write a better njo if possible.

Abadacus likes this.
  18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    TTT and all characters it created.
    X-Wing Rogue Squadron
    X-Wing Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command
    X-Win Starfighters of Adumar
    Both Han Solo trilogies.
    Shadows of the Empire novel
    X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance games
    GG9 Fragments of the Rim
    Essential Atlas

LadyZ and Abadacus like this.
  19. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    The Han Solo trilogy would be good, but I have a feeling one of the spin-off movies will be about young Han, but we'll see. I'm really interested in the ancient aspects of Star wars, and the Force. So anything about ancient Jedi/Sith are my dream.

lookameatbag likes this.
  20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm split, I mostly tend towards not using to much from the EU legends. At the same time if Winter, Face, Booster, or Mirax show up I'd be quite excited to read new stories about them. And really theirs so many characters and stories that would probably fit just fine with the new stuff.

And then Vos and Ventress are getting a new book, from the sounds of it, it's not going to be my cup of tea, so I'm back to thinking maybe they should just stick with new stuff.

21. Tied

Tied Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 18, 2013
    World Devastators seem perfect for the new movies

Pretty much all non-SSD old canon Imperial warships (i can see Eclispe messing up the canon, but i doubt Belator, Turbulent etc. make a difference)

lookameatbag likes this.
  22. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    For someone like me who grew up with the EU, the answer can just be everything.

It's not just the places, it's also the characters.
    Thrawn, Mara, Pellaeon, Karrde, Winter, the Wraiths... :(

Abadacus, Force Smuggler and starfish like this.
  23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Just remembered, keep John Jackson Millers Kenobi, best star wars has ever been in literature next to Darth Plagueis and whatever else Luceno wrote.

24. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Everything! Though given that won't happen I would say everything possible without it interfering with the new material they want to make. I think their blanket Non canonization of everything EU may have been a little OTT and out of respect for the old EU fans they should keep as much as possible, even if some of it is really silly.

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  25. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I'd like to have the Republic comics and the Clone Wars micro series back in the canon but after what the second Clone Wars show did, that's unlikely. KOTOR was a pretty interesting era and I'd like to see them finally wrap it up with a third game. I know they tried that with SWTOR but it doesn't have a real ending so my strategy, start over.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and mes520 like this.