main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New EU: What do you want to be Re-canonized?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DreamingGod, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see Healing "up-close" - a major injury - a Jedi Laying On Hands - and the injury fixing itself before the viewer's eyes.

Offhand, I can't recall any canon source mentioning Jedi Healing - so showing that it really exists and is that good, would be a "recanonization".

2. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    I'd like the Lightning Storm-esque Force Storm. Palpatine's.... vortex thing was interesting but... eh. It left me cold. Dont' get me wrong, Force Lightning is like my favorite power, but... I doubt the Force is so LIMITED, y'know? Elemental powers, general bolt powers (ala Dark Forces), Life Drains. All that good stuff.

As for Healing? I'd rather it be neutral, unless healign others. Because it makes sense for the Sith to want to heal themselves.

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We need something else other than Force Lightning. I expect to see it at least once but give us something new to experience!

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I want to see worlds, starships and general world-building being referenced and canonized, but I'm okay with any changes they might make. I don't want any storyline back: time to start over. I'm ambivalent on characters.

5. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Agree with this, so much! Healing has been fleshed out in sourcebooks some to imply that its implementation is something approximating that, but otherwise it's all been game mechanics. Otherwise, all we know is that bones can be knitted, flesh mended and in extreme applications internal organs repaired, but the extent to which it's possible is left ambiguous, and mostly healing is just used to combat toxins.

Even the constraints of midichlorian manipulation and dark transfer are left very blurry. I would assume Cade could do all of the healing you speak of, but can he (or Plagueis) restore a rotting corpse, or merely resuscitate a being who is dead but not warm and dead? I actually think there shouldn't be any reason Cade can't do the former when one considers Krayt, upon mastering the power, restored himself from a rotting zombie to true health.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    After thinking about it more, I realized I don't really what any old EU brought to NEU. I don't know if I'm in a minority here, but I'm one of those fans that likes the old EU but at the same time is grateful for the reboot. The reason is because I did find the EU to becoming terribly cluttered and lacked some originality. What I find great about the reboot is now we can truly get some new stories with new characters, planets, species and factions without some plot or character from the old eu holding it back. The events and characters I mentioned here, I wouldn't mind seeing again sure, but if they don't I'll be fine with it.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  7. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I think for a lot of stuff I'd rather they started from closer to scratch if they are keeping a single primary line of cannon and removing most previous events.

#1. The previous content had flaws we ignored because we liked it. Restoring an item to cannon status will bring back the flaws but unless the item actually includes new substantial details you've just brought in a truckload of problems for little real result. I might miss the KOTOR games and comics but, bringing them back also brings back a series of super weapons and ridiculous force powers and items. Unless they have new adventures that's really not going to be worth it.

#2. I'm not sure they can actually continue some of the characters to match the quality of the ideas we have in our heads for them.

#3. We've already hit issues in the old cannon where they kept old characters going when they should have replaced them. We don't need to repeat the same mistakes.

#4. Lots of the powers and tech ought to be considered in a more long term sense rather than is this cool for the short term before they come back. Why do I want to use this ability or tech? Should I ever stop using this ability or tech? By creating this ability or tech do I need to create a reason for why it isn't used in the future(Chances are that's probably going to be a yes)?

Personally, I think commonly used powers, abilities, and weapons should be treated more mathematically and should also have existing reasons both for and against usage that come down to something besides cost. While this will remove some of the magic, it also makes conflicts a bit less based on power of the plot and if the weapon is common it's really not that magical anymore. Which is more scary: Running into yet another Sith with a red light saber or running into a Sith with a war sword or one that isn't even armed.

However, I'd like to see more stuff like the Halcyon Jedi's issues with Telekinesis. I feel that each individual should have a different slant to one degree or another that is different from most other characters. This will also allow for different characters to advance at different rates. Some characters might just be really weak force users but others may simply have an affinity for a more obscure powers that would tend to be a bit more iffy and magical.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i want everything pre- LOTF re- canonized.

9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Planets, alien species, technology and starships, the background details that make the universe feel lived in, things may change, but they did for the prequels too. I just assume we'll get Thrawn at some point, same with references to Revan. But mostly I think these works should be new and fresh to avoid comparisons. No book is going to be Heir to the Empire, so why try? Be original. Be bold.

Also, new authors, or barring that, old EU authors not just trying to shove everything they wrote back into canon.

Riv_Shiel and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I want the 501st all being clones during the empire but that won't happen
    Also Revan.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    same here

One thing that I hope doesn't get recanonized is the Bendu symbol's association with evil.

12. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015

I wish DoTJ was still around.

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Things are already being recanonized. We have a character named Admiral Screed, thanks to Tarkin. With Ultimate Star Wars, we have the "Two Fighers against a Star Destroyer?" guy being Derek "Hobbie Klivian" from Ralltiir who rams his snowspeeder into Veers's walker; Dak being Dak Ralter from Kalist VI; and Cliff Clavin being Major Bren Derlin from Tiisheraan who serves as the unit leader of the Endor Strike Team. And those are just the tips of the iceberg. Recanonization is literally a thing that's already happening --- what's the harm in speculating on what will be recanonized next?

The OP even says as much:

This thread is a world apart from any thread that refuses to accept that the EU is dead. It's a thread grounded in realism, because certain species, characters, and backstories being recanonized is a very realistic thing. This thread isn't at all incompatible with popping a cork over the A-wing's timeline no longer being an issue --- they're two completely different things.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Exactly -- it's like all these old ideas are a bunch of nerfs that got loose and are now being rounded up to return to the pen. Sure we won't get all the nerfs, but the Story Group is doing the herding and we all know professional nerfherders like Hidalgo and Chee have their especially favorite nerfs that they'd be loath to see lost for good. Plus you've got other oldtimey nerfherders like JJM and Luceno in the roundup. Luceno managed to herd half the Atlas back to the fold with Tarkin. Filoni always tries to act like he's too good to get his hands dirty but we all know he didn't have the heart to let Abregado-Rae and the Phindian nerfs go.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    There weren't any Bothans in Tarkin, were there? I'm honestly 50/50 on predicting if the Bothans we know and love will come back, or if Rebels will introduce a new species called Bothans and be like "These are the Bothans that Mon Mothma was talking about all the way back in 1983."

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be honest, if those Bothans go, I won't entirely miss them. Extrapolating a single reference to Bothan spies into Bothans being an entire species of spies wasn't really one of the EU's shining moments of inspiration, even if the Bothans themselves were interesting.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We don't even know that "Bothan" is a species. Maybe it's the name of a spy network. Ender Sai

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    When the Clone Wars introduced Mandalorians as not envisioned by Karen Traviss, it was a good thing,

[​IMG]

So if they did that with Bothans, I wouldn't automatically call it bad.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Envisioning Dave Filoni, with the hat, saying "Who's scruffy-looking???"

As far as the Mandos...the new ones were OK, as was the rivalry between new and old, until Satine made an ass of herself.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But better than anything KT came up with.

EDIT: Wait, no, they had a black light sword right?

SO CONFLICTED NOW.

21. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    KOTOR and the Bane books. They can then expand on Zannah, and even re-write everything Revan that is post KOTOR, since they only brought him back to ruin him for the MMO.

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  22. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Just quoting to let you know that your avatar is awesome.

One of the weirdest sentences in Heir to the Empire for me was "Especially since it had been Fey'lya's Bothans who had gotten the plans to the second Death Star." So Fey'lya has... Bothans? You'd never expect an author to reference Solo's Humans, or even Ackbar's Mon Calamari. "Fey'lya's spy network," maybe, but "Fey'lya's Bothans" is just such a bizarre expression.

Or it could be Manny Both-Hanz.

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I suspect Zahn was probably just trying to draw a clear connection to the line from RotJ.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    "Especially since it had been Bothans in Fey'lya's spy network who had gotten the Second Death Star Plans." Seems like it would have been really easy to make the sentence less weird.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That Sheev was performing a dark side ritual with the lightning that hit him and it's the ritual that altered his face.