main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New EU: What do you want to be Re-canonized?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DreamingGod, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    - Most of the prequel era-Luceno books (Cloak of Deception, Plagueis, Dark Lord, Labyrinth of Evil). If whole books can't be re-canonised, at least most of the events, characters, etc. He fleshed that era out so perfectly and gave so much depth to it, it would be sad to have something totally different just for the sake of new canon.
    - The Yuuzhan Vong, the Kiliks, Abeloth. These are controversial but I love the character concepts, they just weren't handled well.
    - Mara Jade
    - Talon Karrde
    - Revan
    - Luke's Jedi Academy being on Yavin IV
    - Shadows of the Empire

Lord Sith Harloxzz and Tanjint like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    KOTOR (all 3 games)

3. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    • Sexy Zeltrons. Yeah, we have regular Zeltrons, but we need sexy Zeltrons
    • K'Kruhk
    • Xizor, a refined version of SOTE
    • "Tales of" books. We got one about the TFA aliens, but I want more.

Tanjint, SilentGuy66 and spicer like this.
  4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Orotolans with legs AND hands!

spicer likes this.
  6. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Yeah, why not. It wouldn't be a difficult thing to incorporate either. Just say that the ones with four limbs are a different sub-species or species. More diversity would be welcomed.

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Perhaps they go through a grub stage and then grow legs.

Or they go through a mobile stage like coral polyps or clam larvae and then hunker down for a sessile stage as adults.

Either are equally horrifying.

Darth Basin and spicer like this.
  8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd accept either or both of those options too. Makes for interesting non-human biologies. I sometimes feel that most aliens in SW are too human-like.

Darth Basin likes this.
  9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Only because he's my favorite EU character and in my opinion has the best arc outside the films, make any story with Ferus Olin canon.

Also I'd like the novel Darth Plagueis to be canonized, it has a great backstory for both the title character and Palpatine.

I love the post New Republic novels too, but I know they can't and shouldn't be canonized.

10. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    The light-side witches of Dathomir, Teneniel and Tenel Ka and so forth. I'm not even sure how or if it's possible at this point after what TCW did to Dathomir, but if a way could be found, I'd love to see characters in that vein figure into the next generation of Jedi. One of the EU's best contributions to the diversity of Force-users.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Dreadnought Class Heavy Cruisers. Without the moronic 16,000 crew requirement.

Tanjint, Vialco and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't want stories to be canonized, but I would like elements re-canonized. For example: Armand Isard being Director, Star Destroyer classes being re-used, important planets being kept, etc. I don't want the same plots at all, but I want both universes to feel like they take place in the same place.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's what they've been doing so far - the Tarkin novel especially, has several of this - Armand Isard, SDs - Secutor & Victory (and other non-Star Destroyer ships), and planets (Murkhana in this case).
    Given that "dreadnought" with a small d is now used a lot (for Super Star Destroyers) - maybe they'd get renamed "Katana-class heavy cruisers" with descriptions and illustrations that make it clear they're the classic Dreadnaught-class, right down to the "clam with overbite" bows.

Taylore and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  14. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I am very much a fan of the new canon as I think it has way more depth and coherent vision than the old EU (for reasons I'll detail elsewhere some day), but there are some elements I think the latter did right or at least hinted at them more than the current one:

1. Some idea of the strategy and overall situation of the Clone Wars. Granted, this was not very much present even in the Clone Wars multimedia project (I was under the impression for more than eight years that it was and that one of the main faults of the TCW cartoon was that it was incoherent in this way until I did a re-read of the Republic comic series and saw it for the mess that it was, warfare-wise), but at least they had a try at storyboarding the end of it with the progression Durge's Lance (from Insider articles) -> reconquest of Duro and driving to the Rim (from the NEC) -> the Outer Rim Sieges (from Labyrinth of Evil). And of course, I'd like to see what is the new background of the Outer Rim Sieges is and how the Siege of Mandalore and the Battle of Courscant fit into it. Also, whether the overall impression of the galaxy was that the Republic was winning or losing the war in 19 BBY, given that LoE and the ROTS novel contradicted on that point ;) Also again, definitely the six or so amendments that gave Palpatine progressively more power (e.g. control of the local fleets), given that this smooth progression is essentially what makes the galaxy ready to proclaim him Emperor. Also, what's that business on Cato Neimoidia ;);)

2. All of the first part of the CW cartoon up to the battle of Hypori, the knighting and the scar (not, however, the Rendili and Obsession comics).

3. Some of Luke's character development during Shadows of the Empire (the Leia part was already handled competently by Moving Target).

4. A reimagining of the Darth Bane story but with the new Old Republic / Galactic Republic distinction instead of the Ruusan Reformation and sans Revan stuff (I remember liking Karpyshyn's first two novels, though not the third, and I don't know whether to attibute this to objective difference in quality or to me growing up).

5. The awesome POV's of the characters and overall feel of the Death Star novel (this was my absolute favorite EU novel).

6. Make it such that the taxation of trade routes leads at least sort of naturally to blockading a planet, as Luceno, again, sort of tried to.

Tanjint likes this.
  15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Gotta keep the name....the only way it would be brought back is by a writer putting a line in a book like was done with the Victory-class. I would love to see both in animated or movie form of some sort. Han Solo is coming up...they could do it there.

16. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Sith purebloods and the aesthetics from Tales of the Jedi when the galaxy actually looked ancient instead of even modern than the movies in KOTOR.

DelRiego and Darth Caliban like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    No Tenel Ka is too precious, it would hurt to have her reintroduced and made into Kylo's love interest. I just couldn't bear it.

Anedon likes this.
  18. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    I really want to see KOTOR, KOTOR 2, and SWTOR canonized.

Beyond that, some specifics based on category:

Species
    • Bothans (their appearance looking more like the long-snouted version than the original EU's human-esque depiction)
    • Cathar
    • Sith Pureblood
    • Squib (Sheer entertainment value alone, they're worth reintroducing--would love to see one as comic relief in the Han Solo stand alone!)
    • Voss
    Starships
    • R-41 Starchaser
    • Vigil-class Corvette
    Characters
    • Tycho Celchu (get the band back together again NuCanon!)
    • Revan (referencing back to the KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR canonization point)
    • Corran Horn (change his backstory if need be, but have him heading intel or something for the Resistance)
    Planets
    • Tython (have it be one of the worlds, alongside Ahch-To, thought to be the home to the Jedi)
    • Ziost
    • Manaan
    • Haruun Kal
    • The Wheel

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The newcanon seems to have gone with "human-esque":
    [​IMG]
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan

The Lego SW universe has it (The Freemaker Adventures)- maybe it'll make it into the non-brick universe too?

20. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That would be great! I love how the galaxy was presented in TOTJ.

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I've wanted to see a Bothan in live action ever since I read Heir to the Empire. Their inconsistent depiction in the EU makes it hard to picture them in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vthuil and Taylore like this.
  22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I would love to see a Bothan period. It's one of my main gripes with Star Wars past and present that no one has bothered to SHOW Bothans in visuals.

Why haven't we had Bothans in Clone Wars or Rebels, or even the new Star Wars films. How come no one gives a **** about Bothans but me!?

Sent from my
    ghxbfn
    mmmmmkgjh
    huh cndj
    whoops, dropped my phone, sorry

Taylore likes this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    TheAvengerButton I'm not sure, but we may have seen a Bothan. In The Phantom Menace DVD (not the theatrical version), after the group arrives on Coruscant, they get on an airspeeder. The pilot/driver looks like a Bothan. I could be wrong, though.

24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

• I believe these are already in. Depa had her breakdown follwing her defeat under Grievous on Haruun Kal, and I seem to recall Tython being mentioned along with Jedha as a mythic option for beginning of Jedi Order.

Darth Caliban and spicer like this.
  25. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Tython and Ossus seem to have been brought back.

As to the topic of the thread: Waru :D Just kidding, I want the whole Legends to be re-canonized.