main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New evidence of unfathomable Lucasfilm attitude about the Original Editions

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obi_Wannabe, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
  2. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I loved this quote:
    'You keep [bizitchin'] about how Lucas keeps raping your childhood, but considering it's the only time most of y'all are ever gonna get laid, you should be thankful!'

Though there were a lot of great quotable moments in the replies to that article, I just HAD to choose this one.

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I bet George lost or destroyed the original in a weird fit of insanity...

4. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    i'll take the special editions over the originals any day. I don't give a crap about Greedo or anything like that. The movie just looks a hell of a lot better in the Spec. Edition

5. ILuvDanteHall

ILuvDanteHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    the only thing that doesn't settle right with me is the fact that there was no explanation of lucasfilm's side to the story.

AICN has a way of always having one-sided or biased news coverage. (and tons of bogus rumors i might add)

6. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I'm just need to take issue for a second with the above comment on AICN.

I have no problem when someone criticizes something for not being good at what it is, but criticizing it for not being something it doesn't even pretend to be isn't fair.

It's not CNN, it's never for one second promoted itself as an unbiased source for news. It's a tip, rumor, underground info and discussion site. It's one person's site and has never made any pretension to not having a bias.

As far as false rumors, i've been reading the site for several years and I can count on a few fingers the number of times a story has actually been bogus, there have been many times when a story has turned out to be wrong, but that happens on CNN too.

I wish it had Lucasfilm's side too, but I doubt they would offer one, as I said it's not CNN, it's just relaying info as it's received.

7. Broncos_Slain

Broncos_Slain Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2003
    I would agree with AICN never once having put on the pretension that it was an unbiased site. As Harry Knowles' little brainchild, AICN is his forum to do with pretty much as he pleases. I think they do a fair amount of corroboration to try and filter as much of the bogus material as they can, and I'm only aware of a few instances myself when a completely ridiculous rumor was touted as absolute fact.

That having been said, I don't waste my time with the talkbacks, as they are usually nothing more than profane, bitter, vindictive, personal attacks.

If nothing else, the site tends to break noteworth stories at least 50% of the time before any other source.

8. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I believe that is the site they were parodying in J&SBSB ;)

9. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    It is, it arose out of an actual battle that started in the talkbacks between Paul Thomas Anderson fans and Kevin Smith fans.

There was a real "Magnolia Fan".

10. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    It wasn't me :)

Although I do kind of like the film.

I have a login for AICN but I never use it, as SS said, it's pretty much all flaming on their boards. (Similar to our football threads here ;) )

11. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I didn't mean for this to be about AICN (Pirates!).

Only two actual comments about not being able to show the original film in context as an important historical work from the 70s?

12. Broncos_Slain

Oct 5, 2003
    I'm all for digitizing and cleaning up films, but as far as nifty little digital additions, I don't find them necessary, or integral by any stretch.

Give me my classic SW anyday, where Jabba is mentioned, but never seen, and Han shoots first...

13. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I have a copy of that... Well, actually, I have several [face_blush]

14. Broncos_Slain

Oct 5, 2003
    Well, now that I've actually read what was posted on AICN, I think we are definitely only getting one side of the story.

My take: Lucas has stated emphatically, in fact, ad nauseum since 1997 that the "special editions" are now the definitive versions, as he had originally intended them, but was unable to accomplish initially. The muckety-mucks @ LFL, I'm sure, have been told to stick to their guns regarding this position, and as a result, when a Film Fest approached them, they probably issued a form-letter response.

I seriously doubt that Lucas was even involved in the decision.

Now, on the other hand, if he were involved...that's a ball game of a different color...

15. ILuvDanteHall

ILuvDanteHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    well then what do i know.

but why do most of their sw rumors turn out to be false?

16. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    This wouldnt really bother me. Even if GL made the call himself.
    I mean, ok, I guess its kinda selfish in a way, but so what? Its his movie. if he didnt want it included, fine.
    Its not really a "70s" movie anymore. From what I read earlier, I dont think GL wants it to be.
    And its his movie.

I'm surprised this upsets so many people. Some of those folks on AICN were freakin out. So its not being included in some historical thing at a festival.
    How again does this make George Lucas the devil?

Its actually kind of funny. People want to show his movie sooooooooooooo bad, they hate him when they cant. LOL
    Now THATs a good movie!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.