main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit new expectations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Maythe14thBeWithYou, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    What are your expectations for the new EU or more so what'd you like to see it cover? I'm almost done with A New Dawn and really looking forward to Tarkin in November. I'd like to see some books on Kenobi, maybe a standalone to tell what he did after ROTS (okay I want to canonize the JJM book lol). There's so much in the universe to explore though, what are your thoughts?

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well your a bit late to the game as now all the novels we love are no longer canon. It dampers my love of SW to have the storyline I love and know quite well to be pushed into some alternate universe B. I'm probably done with SW novels for good. Will likely try to complete my comic collection because the artwork is still great material to consume.

Kypsolo likes this.
  3. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Well, I know the "old" EU is no longer cannon as of April, but was wondering what people were hoping to see in the future novels or how they'd canonize elements of old books.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'd like to see Stackpole return and write something about Wedge and co. Not rewrite what was done, but do something with the X-Wings, like a comic. It doesn't have to validate the old stories, but it can reference them.

(This of course would only work after we know more about the "New Republic" (or whatever exists in its place) in the timeperiod post-ROTJ.)

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Timothy Zhan, Thrawn Trilogy Remake with an ST-friendly and canon compatible outcome.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    This thread is destined to join the dark side.

Anyway I'm looking forward to when they get into the post ROTJ period and start filling up the universe with works in the 30 year period between ep 6 and 7.

Joe Kalicki likes this.
  7. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    The Return of the Prodigal Knight!
    [​IMG]
    All Hail Revan!

Darth_Garak and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    There will be good books, there will be ok books, and there with be books that are so laughably bad they become their own memes here.

So yeah, pretty much business as usual with a different wrapping.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This basically.

lukemaraben likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Origins of the Jedi and Sith and kyber crystal weapons.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yeah, I'm sure. Not all are going to be winners. All you can do is enjoy the good ones best you can.

12. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Being cautiously optimistic but then I probably haven't read as much of the EU a most people here. Just because say the Thrawn trilogy is no longer officially 'canon' it doesn't stop being a great story that I can read again as my enjoyment or interest isn't determined by what Lucas or someone at Disney says.

Will be reading New Dawn soon which seems to have been generally well received here and looking forward to Tarkin. My big hope with the change is that we'll see more books told from different perspectives such as the Imperial side and the Sith. Obviously I'd love to see Zahn (and Thrawn, Mara, Kardde etc) and Stackpole return and write new stories in the universe but we'll have to wait and see.

13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

An entire comic series with Darth Vader as the main character is going to be released at the beginning of next year. So good chance we will be seeing lots of what you describe.

14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Short story collections.

Imagine another Tales from book, but with stories by Luceno, Stover, JJM, Jason Fry, and a bunch of today's leading sci-fi and fantasy writers.

I doubt if it will ever happen. Sue mentioned on the official site forums a few times that she was always pushing for more short story collections, but with her out of the picture I don't know if it'll be high on anybody else's agenda. Although with short fiction having recently experienced a resurgence in Insider, including that Battle of Endor one that already takes place within the new canon, who knows?

There were some real gems in the Cantina and Jabba's Palace collections. Short fiction is a such a fantastic medium when done right. It lends itself so well to experimentation. And the overload of Jedi, Sith, and lightsabers in recent years has left the EU in desperate need of something new.

TKT, cthugha and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

The Thrawn Trilogy Special Edition. Completely new or non-existent Solo twins!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I think we may have already seen Leia and Han's offspring in that pic where they were all sitting around a room with Abrams.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't beleive that one bit. I see books now part of a whole not unlike the prior stuff that was relegated to a certain sector. These stories are all official now so they better be good as they are canon and if they come out with crap, then it is going to hit there wallets. No wait, this star wars people will buy it anyway and then come here and complain [face_devil]

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't want any more 9+ book series. The Thrawn trilogy only needed three books to be as epic as Star Wars deserved: your twelve-volume Self-Realization Of The Jedi Through The Force needs some serious trimming.

Other than that... well, quality, of course.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm looking forward to Tarkin (because I want to learn about the character and about Imperial politics), Lords of the Sith (because I want to learn about what it's like being Emperor and being The Emperor's right hand), and the Vader comic for the same reasons as Lords of the Sith.