New Fan Short - TPZ (TMZ in the Star Wars galaxy)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Richard Woloski, Jul 22, 2013.

Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Richard Woloski Jedi Youngling

Would love to get input on what the fans think. Enjoy!
    Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Richard Woloski Jedi Youngling

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.
  4. coffeewithgames Jedi Padawan

When I saw 9+ minutes, I couldn't imagine what it was going to be, as I just finished up one that was just over 5 minutes with intro and credits, and it took me several days worth of editing when I finally started it. Was pleasantly surprised though, and really surprised by how many people you had involved in it!

I did enjoy the guy being taken out by the Stormtroopers when he would start talking about the Clone Wars, thought that was a good continuation throughout. Also, seeing the droids and vehicles floating around was nice throughout, and I can appreciate how much work goes into some of that!

As a parent with little ones, one part I would skip over if they were to watch it would be the bleeping out of the Stormtroopers when asked about who would win between them and Clone Troopers. I understand this is probably aimed at a slightly older audience though. The only thing I can think to make it different there, would perhaps making the Stormtroopers have jokes about the Clone Troopers instead, or use the lines with other words that don't need to be "beeped" out.

+1 for using the Wilhelm towards the end.
  5. Richard Woloski Jedi Youngling

Thank you very much for your review and critiques. I appreciate what the fans have to say. Out of curiosity, were you turned off when you saw it was 9+ minutes? The general rule is shorter is better and I know I will pass right by some if I see a long running time.
    As for the bleeping Stormtroopers, I had to stay in line when parodying TMZ. Like them, I put the show logo over the Stormtrooper's mouths as they're swearing. The joke there is that you can't read their lips anyways.
    You say you just finished your film, have you posted it yet? (Do you also use the Wilhelm?)
  6. coffeewithgames Jedi Padawan

No, wasn't turned off by the 9+ minutes, but I do think in this day-and-age of internet videos, it seems the shorter the better for sharing with friends on sites like Facebook (How Animals Eat Their Food, Harlem Shake). When people see 2 minutes, they think "Oh, okay I can watch it now." When they see 5+ minutes, they're probably like, "I'll make time for it." (Haven't done the research on it, just my own thoughts.)

I did get the TMZ connection, but haven't watched any of their stuff in years probably (we don't have cable TV, and it's not stuff I would normally look up). So, I'm not super familiar with how they "bleep" out the swearing, but the part about not seeing their lips in this piece is funny and would probably be caught by those that watch the show more often. Being a parent with little ones, I'm used to seeing/hearing a lot of ABC songs, Thomas the Train, and the plethora of other cartoons right now. :)

I didn't create a new post for my video, but added it to an existing one. No Wilhelm, but here it is:

Each year on May the 4th, I've tried to do something Star Wars related with them. The last 2 years it was video related.
  7. Richard Woloski Jedi Youngling

That was very cute. You must have fun incorporating your kids with Star Wars in videos. What compositing program do you use?
  8. coffeewithgames Jedi Padawan

I used three different programs for putting everything together:
    1) Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10.0 for the video editing.
    2) Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 for editing certain portions of it (keyframed the Stormtroopers to remove their SHADOWS! Took me forever, and they were shakier than I liked, but they served their purpose).
    3) Mixcraft 5 for various sound effects (added an effect or two to the droid, and low sounding footsteps for the Stormtroopers).

I've gotten most of the programs slowly over the years as gifts and make due with what I have, but always try to learn something new. I can only imagine what the more expensive video editing programs can do now.
Moderators: AdamBertocci