main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW FANFILM - Jedi Academy

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Neszis, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    After one year of hard work, Perpetual Lawnchair Productions brings you Jedi Academy.

During Darth Vader's rise to power, the Council is struggling to train new Jedi more quickly than Vader exterminates them. Academies are set up on numerous planets, yet Vader continuously hunts them down and kills all of the adept. Those who have potential live in fear and few step forward to be recognized. Neszis and Caz Logan are two apprentices that just graduated an Initiatory School for the Jedi, and came to the Jedi Academy. They quickly become friends. When one discovers a power, fate will bring about a struggle that may end a friendship...or worse.

Jedi Academy has been my vision for over a year. It was COMPLETELY developed by a 14 (15 now) year old. On April 6, 12:09 AM, Jedi Academy went online for the first time ever. I have poured everything that I could into it, and this 21 minute film is what I have to show.

Notes: I do expect to meet criticism, because I know that it is imperfect. Go for it. I apologize for the file sizes. I wanted to keep all the FPS :). In addition, it has no relation to Higinn's Episode VII: The Jedi Academy. I await that eagerly, but sadly I discovered the title was used when I was just about done with this film. Also, Part 1 is a little dry (its all plot). Keep going to Part 2. It gets great.

I have a shot at TFN, and I hope they can make this dream a reality for me. I would be more than honored if it would be hosted. I would like to thank the fanfilm community for this also. Without your expert knowledge, Jedi Academy would have never come off the ground. I welcome your support and your criticism with open arms.

And now, without further ado, I present Jedi Academy.

Perpetual Lawnchair Productions Online

Jedi Academy Part 1

Jedi Academy Part 2

~Neszis~

EDIT: Fixed links...Lord, something's screwing up ALREADY! :D

2. MGMatrix

MGMatrix Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2002
  3. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
  4. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Hey ! I'm not even finished with downloading part 1 and you give them Cable users the links !? Awwwww ! ;)

5. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Heheh....woops.

I got ahead of myself, Sam.

Hey, also, don't underestimate this film. It's truly not bad. Also, don't think "I haven't heard of it, it must suck and have been made in one weekend." It wasnt. I just didnt want to tell anyone because I just wasn't ready.

~Neszis~

6. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    bump :(

7. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    A freaking whopping 150 megs plus!
    It better be good....and someone better have their head chopped off! :p
    j/k
    Looking forawrd to seeing it. ;)
    Congrats on getting your fanfilm done! :D

8. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Sadly, I wanted to keep my framerate intact. Expect a better compressed film soon.

And I'm sayin nothing about decapitation.

~Neszis~

9. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Downloading now!!

-tm

10. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Note to all 56kers like me:

Well, to begin with, we rule the internet. We're being abused and used because our ISPs COUGH AOL COUGH are shoving us aside to make room for cablers. Now, I like cablers. I hate ISPs that prefer cablers. That opinion will reciprocate when I get cable. Anyways, the point for this was that I am going to recompress it with lower FPS and data rate so WE can watch it. So just hold off.

And if u dl, please post. I want to know EVERYONE's thoughts on it.

Good luck with that DL, Dark, Web, and Tumblemonster.

~Neszis~

EDIT: HOLY CRAP!!!! RECOMPRESSION JUST FINISHED! I GOT EM BOTH DOWN TO 46 MEGS AND THEY LOOK GOOD AS GOLD!!! HOW THE HECK DID I DO THAT????

Expect em very soon.

11. Kydian

Kydian Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2002
    i just watched both parts and i must say i enjoyed it alot. nice job.

Latah...

12. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Thank you! And i like ur pic

:D

Hey, everyone tell me if u think it's TFN worthy, or roughly what chance I have. You can be honest.

~Neszis~

13. Cawin

Cawin Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    The film is cool! I liked fighting scenes.

14. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Nice movie.

Actually had story, from what i've seen so far (only seen part 1).

Now let me say what I thought was good and bad.

The good:
    The story. You actually had one, and that's something to be commended for.

Finishing it. It's longer than most movies... so congrats on finishing.

The backstory of the jedi master. I really liked it that his son was killed and to this day he still tells the students that they need to be careful with their lightsabers.

The what-could-be-fixed.
    Editing. I think if you would have overlapped some clips a little bit, the dialouge would have come off better. Sometimes it can be very choppy.

The sound. Ohhh.. tough to say here, but it didn't match the mouths at all. I don't know why this is, whether it's compression, my computer, or did you dub the lines?

I'll post again when I have finished it, but I thought i'd give it a little bump.

CYa
    mike

15. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Only took me 15 mins to download everything :D

Anyway, the story was good, the only thing that I really thought was missing was some actual shots of the 'enemy'. Seeing a little bit of Vader couldn't have hurt either. Also, the sound quality really hurts the film, and it doesn't match the actors mouths some of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked it and I think you did a great job on it.

I watched some of the other footage from the Perpetual Lawnchair site, and that Chris fellow really takes a verbal beating from the other two. Poor kid. Probably all in good fun though ;)

16. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    First off... for a 14 (now 15 year old), I warrant your efforts. Nice Job.

I especially liked the music, though it certainly doesn't fit the Star Wars persona, it worked well. The story was nice, and I liked the end after the credits ~ nice touch.

The voice recording, as others have mentioned, leaves something to be desired. But it wasn't so bad that it was unbearable.
    Also, watch your lense flares unless you want them. The excessiveness(sp?) of them outdoors got a little distracting. (In the "old days" of Hollywood, cinamatographers got fired if there were lens flares... now of course we know they're used for their interesting effect). ~ Another thought, wide screen, though it isn't necessary at all, it adds a certain degree of "professionalism." Just something to consider for your next project.

Again, kudos

Best of luck with all your work ~ If you have any questions regarding film-making, always feel free to ask.

~DK~
    AIM:Filmaker25

17. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    I only watched a little (too busy working right now to sit and watch the whole thing) I do have one suggestion-

you got good coverage, and different angles down but for next time move the camera in and out- you have a lot of meds/long shots but not way to many close ups. Also cutting from a med to a med (which was done a few times in the part I saw) ends up being very stange, ideally you would want to cut to a med to a close up back out to the med -or- a med to a long back into a med. Before ppl jump down on me, I must say it's not a rule you have to obay all the time. However it does make the movie much more fluid and easier for the audance to watch. Next time you see a movie watch what that movie does.

18. Toph

Toph Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    I thought it was really good. The story was well put together.

How did you do the little "Matrix" bit in the fight?

Cheers

Toph

19. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Thank you all for your support and your criticism, and sadly, TFN has decided not to host it. :(. Oh well, I'll have better luck next time, and I will submit to other places.

The matrix shot was almost pathetic in method, but I knew it could be pulled off. We truly just slowed down a bit while I circled with the cam, and I slowed it again in post.

Sound quality: Not your computer. The compression sucks. We did dub the lines, but they matched perfectly in the process. So I guess m terrible compression did it in.

Man, this sucks. I was looking forward to being hosted....

~Neszis~

20. princehamlet

princehamlet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    could you maybe do a divx version?

21. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Sure, I'll try it. Cmon people, respond more!

~Neszis~

22. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    I thought it was quiet boring at some parts, but i thought it was great!!! Fun to watch more people my age do stuff! Keep it up!

23. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2002
    4 minutes to download the first part, bless this cable modem.

Most of you dont know me, though my profile says ive been around for a few months ive actually been around much longer. (Darn computer crashing and me forgetting my password for the forums.) As most of you know i dont post often, hence the reason you probably dont know me. I sit here everday looking at most all the threads but am to lazy to reply...unless something really makes me want to.

This fan film is great, the thing that is so great is something everyone else has been talking about, the story. It has really gotten me hooked, the second part is downloading now and should be done any minute, and I tell you i cant wait to watch it.

Another thing that really makes me happy is to hear that someone my age is makeing a film, goes to show you that young people can make great things. Expect a full review once I finish the entire thing. Great job.

Chris

24. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    TY riskbreaker!

Lets start a rally to get me on TFN :)
    jk...maybe :)

~Neszis~

25. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Alright, I;ve compressed Jedi Academy again ( though I dunno how) into 2 46 mb parts. Now, I put them together and made one 102 mb file. The larger one would give the whole movie at once, but the 2 are smaller in size. Which one do you 56kers want?

~Neszis~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.