main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW FANFILM - Jedi Academy

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Neszis, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    100th Post on this thread! WOo! BWAHAHAH!!!!

:D

Here's to a good one :)

~DK~

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I wanted to see this post...but the first release nevr gave it a chance! WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

*Does a Jedi Academy dance*

~Neszis~

3. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    *shakes head*

look at what i've done
    i've started a *does a <insert your word here> dance* trend

run..
    run from the horror
    run from the insanity..
    save your selves
    save your minds

its comming..

btw when i downloaded it i was getting both files at 75KB/s ... altho it is 6 am... :)

4. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    bump, jump, gump, dump, stump, ump!

5. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    well, whatever the one little problem that I was experinenceing was is gone now, i am getting 30 kpbs on part 1 and 23 kbps on part 2. So I will have to see if the movie is worth the wait.

6. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Finally found the time to watch it.

I liked it! I never thought much before about what would have happened to the Jedi schools and Jedi in training after the rise of Vader and Palpatine. First time I've seen a story along this line. Working in some character development is always a plus for me.

I was impressed by the first fight scene and thought it flowed quite well. I got a chuckle out of the "stick" scene in the first fight (two chuckles actually since I watched it twice so far)

Will there be a "Return of Neszis"?

7. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Page 4? PAGE FOUR? PAGE FOUR????

I think you have lost confidence! Where are all those poeple that kept wanting to see it????

BUMP!!!

And, no, there will not be a return of the Neszis, but there WILL be a return of the Caz and Neszis Actors in Echoes of Injustice. I'll announce it here, because this movie is gonna be pretty hush hush.

Paul Miller (Caz in Jedi Academy) now plays Jonas, a child whose life was destroyed by the empire.

Paul Donovan (Future Neszis in JA) plays Tiekenn, a Sith.

Kelly Coyne will play Paige, Jonas' girlfriend.

Chris Cronin (Neszis in Jedi Academy) will play Higje (pronounced HIDGE), an apprentice.

Matt Bucks will play Windshaw, Jonas' best friend.

Sean LeCouris will play Owen, another apprentice to a different master.

Characters TBA:

Admiral Laur, an Imperial Admiral, is ruthless and believes wholeheartedly in the ideals of the Empire.

Master Quone, a Jedi Master, is the master to Owen.

Master Downe is a Jedi Knight that is teaching Higje.

Our 3d is being done by Anonymous Jedi, and I'm thrilled about that.

I've said too much!

Oh yeah, and just in case someone thinks so, I was NOT Neszis in Jedi Academy. It was not me, it was Chris. I just like the name Neszis.

~Neszis~

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    This movie wasn't that good, infact it was kind of stale. The plot would have been interesting if it was shorter. And it was a good first attempt to make a fan film. However it has nothing special enough to warrent 5 pages worth of text.

9. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey none of your links work :S

I'd like to see this movie....but, ah well!

10. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    That's odd. They work fine for me.

And WhisperingDeath, this film took me a year to do and took all my time, concentration, and money as a novice filmmaker. Although it might not have been worth ur time to download, I think it was worth as many pages of text as I friggin want.

~Neszis~

11. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Whispering Death - I think your post falls short of adhering to the forum guidelines, specifically the criticism part. Here are a couple of excerpts from the FAQ.

"One of the most important things to remember about fan films is that they are made as a hobby, and although much money, time, and effort are expended in making them, they are by default free to enjoy. Therefore, it is important that even if you didn't like someone's fan film, the fan filmmaker, as well as his/her project, should be treated with respect. It is perfectly all right to dislike someone's work, but there is a proper way of going about sharing such feelings."

"HOW TO CRITICIZE

The key to criticism being taken well on these boards is providing two S-words:

1) Specifics (exactly what you didn't like)
    2) Solutions (what to do to make what you didn't like better)"

:) I'm friendly... really!!

What's wrong with this edit button tonight...

12. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Your link is messed up! I tried to watch, but nothing shows up but an error. :(

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    I also can not go to your files.

14. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Man, this is wierd! Its working FINE for me!!!

:( anyone else care to try and host em?

~Neszis~

15. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    First off, I was out for the weekend with some friends, so sorry about not getting to see this right when it was uploaded.

Oddly enough, I casually mistook "Jedi Academy" for "Jedi Apprentice" and was amazed at how quickly it had poped up. :D Never the less, I did watch this film and typed up my thoughts about it.

Before I get to all the constructive ciricizm, I have to say that getting a project filmed, edited and completed is a commendable achievement no matter how it is received. That's an accomplishment. Be proud.

Now I have to say that honestly, I thought there was a lot of room for improvement in saveral areas.

Cinematography: Two main things i think will help you in the future. The first is to avoid jump cuts, which I found in abundance int his film, particularly the first part. If the shot cuts to the same subject from a different angle, it's easy to spot indescrepencies from shot to shot. Use reaction shots and inserts to help cover this when one person is doing a monologue. The other thing is to obey the rule fo thirds which I noticed was off in some shots. Basically, keep the heads in the top third of the shot. Giving actors too much head room makes the shot feel funny.

Sound: While for the most part it was adequate, the beginning monologue especially has it's share of technical weaknesses. Chiefly, rigth off the bat the sound comes on at full from silence with a lot of ambient noise. Probably the issua here was the location. In these shots it seemed like the actor(s) were rather quiet in comparison to the background noise. If possible, in the future, try to record your sound more carefully with a mobile mike near the source with some sort of protection against wind of possible. Most other parts were okay, so I think it's just unfortunate source sound, but still something to watch out for in future projects.

Music: While fine for the action sequences (worked for me) the music was fine, it felt somewhat inappropriate for me) in the dialogue scenes between our two jedi Apprentices. I think no music or very subdued would have worked better as more active music detracted fromt he dialogue as I was listening and watching.

Titles: Kinda cheesy, but whatever. It works.

Story/Plot: Not bad. Simple, but this was a simple film. It was what it was supposed to be to be. I liked it.

Acting: Okay. A bit over the top for some parts, and a bit stiff in others. On the whole I didn't cringe much. It worked mostly I think because it was a vehicle for the dialogue and story, which were stronger aspects of the film, so it didn't bug me too much.

Writing/Dialogue: I rather enjoyed this. I feel the dialogue the characters had was the strongest part of this film.

Lightsabers: As many know, I'm not a big fan of AlamDV sabers. Aside from it's glows, the rotoscoping was not bad but in shots where the sabers were relatively or totally still, a fanning shape was applied.... Why was that..?

Costumes/Sets: Fine. Footwear could have been better, but we're not on a budget here, so hey.

Well, I think that'll do it. I've been typing this for quite a while now, I think I've just about coverd it. There are probably a lot of spelling errors, but who gives. I know this is mostly suggestions for improvement, but hopefully you can learn from all (or some) of it.

16. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Thank you very much for your review, Ryan, and I understand.

The thing was, when this movie was being made and filmed, the it was not necessary to have a big budget and everything, but now it is mainstream. So we were caught in a difference of what is normal over time, you know?

The fanning still applied to still sabres was my mistake. I am no expert at that, and half the time i couldnt even see the sabres (I was working in 320x240 THE WHOLE TIME)but it was just a stupid mistake I made.

Yes, the footware could have been better, and it wasnt for exactly the reason you stated.

Thank you for giving PERFECT constructive criticism, unlike SOME PEOPLE ::gives mad look at WhisperingDeath).

~Neszis~

17. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    I thought the idea for the movie was great and the songs you used, expecially right before the last fight was perfect. Not everyone can make major motion picture quality films but that still doesnt matter if the story itself is not there. cant wait to see your next project neszis, will be kewl to see how much farther you have come since the 1st one in all your filming and effects abilities

18. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Thank you, PLague, and I guaruntee a HUGE difference...we have new equipment, a new budget, and new members, as well as a fresh story with loads of goodies.

~Neszis~

19. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    are you gonna try any new effects computer animation in this one or are you gonna keep it simple like your last movie ? i cant remember if you said before what time of camera you used for jedi academy are you going to use the same one or a a different type of camera

20. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    We are getting our 3d done by Anonymous Jedi.

I have an effect prepared that NO ONE is ready for :) (new weapons! Wooo!)

I am geting a new camera as well. I think the TRV25 is lookin good.

~Neszis~

21. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Alright, if someone minds me bumping this, Itll be the last time. Tell me if u dont want me to bump it.

~Neszis~

22. elMister

elMister Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    I dont want you to bump it

:D :D :D jk jk

23. darthsaber10

darthsaber10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2001
    none of the links work for me....it keeps coming up with an error....i even typed it in...

24. BWD912zeta

BWD912zeta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    unfotunatly the links don't work for me either.

25. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    ::Writes elMister on "People I hate" list::

Man, this SUCKS! WHY DONT THEY WORK FOR ANYONE BUT ME!??

Can anyone PLEASE host Jedi Academy?? I can directly give it to u or put it on FTP!

~Neszis~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.