main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Films Interview Thread: Currently Interrogating PymParticles

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 30, 2018.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for joining us. We are here live on the planet Crait where two weeks ago the remaining members of the Resistance were able to escape certain destruction at the hands of the First Order, a stunning and humiliating embarrassment for the burgeoning galactic power.

We are now learning new details about exactly what went down here. It appears that Supreme Leader Snoke himself, leader of the First Order, was killed by one of the members of the Resistance. Some witnesses are reporting that the person responsible was a Jed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We interrupt this illegal transmission to bring you a message from Supreme Leader Snoke. Do not believe the lies of the Republic controlled media. Your Supreme Leader is alive and well. Having wiped out the remains of the traitorous Resistance the First Order now deploys its invincible fleet to capture Coruscant, capital of the galaxy for millennia.

The Empire may have fallen but the First Order reigns! It was thirty two years ago that our Glorious Emperor was brutally murdered by the coward Luke Skywalker. And it is on this day that the Supreme Leader is overjoyed to announce... Luke Skywalker is dead! No one now stands in the way of the peace and security the First Order will bring to the galaxy!

But an Empire needs an Emperor. And in his infinite spiritual wisdom Supreme Leader Snoke has found the rightful heir to Emperor Palpatine... Emperor Kylo Ren, long may his reign last! As his first decree your Emperor has made certain that the villainous seed of rebellion will never grow fruit again! From this day forward every citizen of this unified galaxy will be required to submit to mandatory evaluation. Should your loyalty come into question for any reason you and your loved ones will be sent to... reconditioning.

LONG LIVE SECURITY! LONG LIVE THE FIRST ORDER!
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the New Films Interview Thread Mandatory Evaluation Center!
    I am Loyalty Officer DC-1031 in charge of this central hub located on Coruscant.
    Here you will be able to read from the vast archives of all citizen evaluations submitted from every planet across the galaxy! You may even find a few records from the old Imperial days.

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------
    Here's how things work:

1. Users being interviewed will be sent a list of questions (around 20-25), mostly about the new films but also more general Star Wars questions. You may take as long as you want to answer them and go into as much detail as necessary. Once you send your answers back I'll send a few follow up questions. After that I will post the interview in this thread.

2. If you wish to be interviewed you may send me a PM but fair warning I may not get to you immediately. I have a few users already in mind and I'll be PMing them first. I will only respond to requests once I'm ready to send you the interview so if I don't give you a response don't worry because eventually I will get to you.

3. Interviews will be posted every two weeks or so.

4. Don't be rude. People are putting time and effort into these interviews so let's all be nice and civil to each other.

5. This threads purpose is to get to know your fellow user so socializing is expected and welcomed. However, this isn't a GIL or main social thread so let's keep things focused on the interviews and the people being interviewed.

6. Most important of all... have fun!

Interview dates:

Artoo Dion
    -- April 30, 2018 -- LINK
    Birkendoc -- May 31, 2018 -- LINK
    PymParticles -- June 30, 2018 -- LINK
    Here is a link to the archive of our predecessor's... interrogations (they certainly weren't subtle were they!)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You've chosen an interesting first case file, rookie. This subject's tracker has been disabled. Unfortunately despite our overwhelming defeat of the rebel scum on Crait we believe they're still recruiting. They're delusional. Study the file well. You may not copy it or remove it from this archive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case Subject: Artoo-Dion
    Homeworld: Bespin
    Citizen ID#: LR-1737
    Tracking #: 097065-23
    Tracker Status: Inactive
    Last Known Location: Ring of Kafrene

1. How did you first come across the Jedi Council Forums?

It had to have been when the boards were added. I originally registered in late '98, probably not long after the TPM teaser. Who could forget that bootleg teaser with the audience going nuts? Man, those were the days.

FWIW, I still remember the Texas A&M site from the mid-'90s.

2. What is your fondest Star Wars related memory?

Well, I've got two, really. The first was when I originally saw ANH in '82. I was only about four, and I think I already had a "Sandpeople" Kenner figure.

Anyway, by that point, Star Wars was a big deal, so going to see Star Wars was like going to Disneyland. And we went to a cinema called the Roxy in Parramatta, which was one of those old movie palaces, so that made the experience even better.

It's funny, I don't actually remember seeing the film, but I do remember sitting in the balcony, waiting for it to start. Afterwards, of course, I wanted many more Kenner figures.

The other fond memory I have is when I visited the set of Revenge of the Sith. The one thing I'll say about that is that the atmosphere was really, really positive. George Lucas has gotta be one of the nicest guys, and that carried through with everyone else there.

2a. I would say visiting the set of a Star Wars is every fans dream. How did that come about? Did you get to meet a lot of the cast and crew?

Someone I knew secretly told LFL about me. (I guess I'm just that wonderful. :p ) Apparently it involved a lot of back-and-forth discussion with Lynne Hale, and so on my 25th birthday, I was given an official LFL letter inviting me to the set. (The set visit was July 2003.)

The whole experience was pretty amazing. I was pretty reserved at first, but once I figured out that the NDA meant I could ask anything, I went for broke.

I chatted with Anthony Daniels in and out of character and I met Hayden Christensen (who was thrilled about the burn makeup). I got to see them film the original version of Anakin being dubbed "Darth Vader" (before the reshoots) and I got to chat with Ahmed Best while the behind-the-scenes crew filmed me.

I spoke with a lot of the crew. The one person I was too nervous to approach was John Knoll and, being a computer science guy myself, I regret it to this day.

Oh, and I chatted with George.

3. What is your favorite Star Wars related possession?

I'm not sure. Maybe my photo with Carrie Fisher?

3a. I'm guessing this is a photo of you and Carrie? What's the story behind that?

Yes, I have a photo of me and Carrie from a convention, taken after TFA was announced but before the Big 3 were announced as returning. She totally charmed me, which is quite a feat, since I'd been a fan of hers beyond Star Wars for a very long time.

4. Were you around for the PT speculation? If so what's your favorite moment from that period?

Oh yeah, I was around. Honestly, I think the best moment from those days was the bootleg of that first TPM teaser. And how everyone was possibly a clone.

OB-1 was a clone
    Palpatine was a clone
    Padme was a clone

Naboo, of course, housed a cloning facility.

5. We’re two movies into the Sequel Trilogy. Going in how high were your expectations and has it lived up to them so far?

My expectations weren't really that specific. I knew I wanted more Luke in particular, and I wanted it to feel like the OT.

I sort of got what I wanted, but each film kind of has a piece of the elephant. TFA captures the humour and fun of the OT while TLJ has that sort of mythic, operatic feel from the OT. I think TLJ gets much closer than TFA to the WWII feel, but both are outmatched by R1 on that front.

But the best thing about the ST is that it's giving me things I didn't expect. Not everything needs to be exactly as you imagined.

6. How do you like your Star Wars film? Spoiled or unspoiled?

Unspoiled. For the last five years or so, I played the spoiler game, mainly because I enjoyed the discussions. But I'm happy now to just watch the movies as they come out.

7. Do you have any theories about how the trilogy will end? Or perhaps a favorite theory you’ve read here?

Not really. I want to just enjoy the story being told rather than measuring it against something I've written in my head.

8. If your worst nightmare about the Sequel Trilogy were to come true what would it be?

That it doesn't add anything substantial to the overall story. But I think it's already doing that.

9. If you could change one thing about the Sequel Trilogy what would it be?

I'd probably make TFA less derivative and stripped-down and tweak some of the humour and echoes in TLJ.

10. Of course in this brave new Star Wars world the Sequel Trilogy isn’t everything. In your opinion what’s the most exciting aspect of the Anthology series?

Probably the immersion within those little corners of the Star Wars universe that you always wanted to explore. One of the things that I think made the OT so great was there were all these stories going on just on the edge of the frame.

The cantina scene in ANH is a perfect example. What's that world? Let's live in there for two hours--that's what I'm hoping for with Solo. It's the same way that R1 was like hanging out with the guys from Yavin IV and the Hoth trench for a couple of hours.

I really wouldn't mind digging around in Bespin as well. If there's a Lando movie, we may just get that.

11. This might be the most important question. Kenobi film... yea or nay? Why?

I'm pretty ambivalent. If there's something there that's worth exploring, great.

Just going back to what I was saying about exploring corners of the Star Wars universe, I guess Kenobi could give us more insight into the kind of "western frontier" world of Tatooine, especially the world of the Tusken Raiders. That'd be what I'd want from it, anyway.

12. Describe your ideal Anthology film and who would you have direct it?

Well, my two favourite directors are probably Terry Gilliam and Ridley Scott. They're both very visual directors. Gilliam's more interesting, but that's why I probably wouldn't give him a Star Wars film to direct.

But can you imagine a Cloud City/Lando film directed by Ridley Scott? It'd look amazing, if nothing else.

13. Of the existing major Star Wars characters who is the one you’d most like to see get their own Anthology film?

Lando, just because I think it'd explore a really interesting intersection between the business world, the Empire and the criminal underworld. Lots of room for intrigue there... and beautiful lighting.

14. What about background characters? Are there any whose story you think needs to be told?

Nien Nunb. You know you want it.

But really, I think it's better to think about genre more than characters. I want to see the kind of fantasy-rich storytelling hinted at in ESB and TLJ. Just turn up the mystical, spiritual, transpersonal, Brahman-fuelled crazy and rip off the knob.

14a. What other types of genres would you like to see explored in future Anthology films?

Hmmm... Noir might be fun. I'd also like to see the sort of shenanigans that would lead to the kind of "union dispute" that Maz was tackling--a sort of absurdist comedy.

15. Beyond the Sequel Trilogy and Anthology series we have Rian Johnson’s trilogy and the Weiss/Benioff film series. How are you feeling about these films? Are you optimistic? Pessimistic?

I'm optimistic, but I don't really know anything about them. If they interest me, I'll watch them. I think the talent behind these projects is strong, so at this point I have no reason to be negative.

If they hire Zack Snyder, I'll maybe be more pessimistic.

16. Do you have any idea or hope about which era they could be set in?

I hope Benioff and Weiss will make a series of TV films about the origins of the Jedi. I just think it'd be the perfect match.

17. Lucasfilm wants to create a new film series not connected to any of the previous films and you’ve been contacted for an interview in front of Kathleen Kennedy. You have a blank canvas give us your pitch.

It's a series chronicalling the rise of the Jedi, going all the way back to that concept art of a kyber crystal tied to a stick. Start with a kind of Middle Eastern high fantasy epic set on Jedha, with a split (maybe several generations later) moving one faction to Ahch-To; the other faction evolve into the Guardians of the Whills (or something along those lines).

I'd be wary of getting too technological. This starts around 30,000 years before ANH and should look and feel much more primative. The first movie should following a simple rule: no holograms, no hyperspace. You can then chart the effects of such technologies as the series progresses.

18. Let’s talk about Star Wars as a whole for a bit. Favorite film?

The Empire Strikes Back, easily. I know that's a cliché, but to me, it's the one that stands up to scrutiny no matter how closely you look at it (not including nitpicking about time and distance).

19. What scene from Star Wars had the strongest emotional impact on you?

The cave in ESB. There's something profound in that moment when Luke sees his own face behind Vader's mask, as if he's receiving a truly deep psychological truth. It elevates the whole series.

20. Favorite character?

That's a really hard question to answer. In the old films, it was always Luke; in the new films, I'll say Poe, though it's very hard to choose.

21. Besides Star Wars what are your favorite film franchises?

Another hard one! My problem is that I end up loving about half of the films from any series. So maybe I'll pick a series where I love at least two entries.

In that case, it's probably... Lord of the Rings? I'd say that if Star Wars didn't exist, I'd probably be a Tolkien geek.

22. Saved the hardest question for last. What are your hopes for Star Wars in the future?

That it keeps asking relevant questions about the universal experience of being human.

My thanks to @Artoo-Dion for this great first interview!

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Really nice answers here, @Artoo-Dion. We also agree on a ton re: what we like about Star Wars and what we want to see from it going forward; I always knew there was a good reason I liked you ;)

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    There are probably plenty of bad reasons you like me as well.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Really nice, thoughtful answers - as one would expect from @Artoo-Dion The Wise. :)
    I had no idea you visited the set of ROTS; that's amazing!

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, and I forgot to mention that about two months later I was in ICU after a brain haemorrhage, and the PA who showed me around (Lisa) came to visit and gave me an ILM Episode III crew jacket. I cheekily asked how much it'd go for on eBay.

Here I am with Lisa at the Creature Shop:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    That’s awesome! Hanging in the creature shop with Admiral Ackbar! What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Great interview! Good job, @Darth Chiznuk on starting the interviews up again. And lots of great answers in there, @Artoo-Dion !

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I like you for your taste in music. Since you stepped down I'm stuck trying to talk music with @Darth Chiznuk, and you know how pointless that is.

10. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    What, Chiznuk likes Nickleback or something?

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He might if he had ever heard of them. Chiznuk is an exceptional human being, who has lived under a rock his whole life. If you asked him what he thought of the Beatles he'd say he doesn't like bugs. He thinks Led Zeppelin is a poor transportation choice. He's never heard of anybody.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Hey, I've listened to the Beatles once or twice. But no I have no idea what Nickleback is.

Birkendoc, TCF-1138 , EHT and 2 others like this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    You’re better off that way. Ignorance can be bliss, my friend.

Artoo-Dion , EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not sure why you're even bothering to try. :p

15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    We're talking about the best rock bands ever, right?

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I will be posting a new interview this week. Hope you all enjoy it!

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Was just going to say [face_waiting]... haha.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I've been slacking. I was also supposed to post the Episode IX treatments for the contest this weekend but watched Deadpool 2 instead. :p

Birkendoc and EHT like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh, you're back, are you? Hmm, we lose most recruits in the first week. Can't handle all the dirty work involved in this job. I'll tell you now it's not all chasing down rebel scum. Sometimes it's our own people who need... a reeducation. The file I'm about to give you is for one of our top spies. But you never know who could be harboring rebel sympathies so read this one carefully!

Case Subject: Birkendoc
    Homeworld: Naboo
    Citizen ID#: LR-1289
    Tracking #: 764502-23
    Tracker Status: Active
    Current Location: Naboo

1. How did you first come across the Jedi Council forums?

I joined in 2001 and hanging out in the Han and Leia club and EU threads. I wasn’t that involved in the PT community because I wasn’t all that enthused by the PT. Remember being active around 9/11 and this was one of the places that brought people together where we could escape current events for a while.

Empire Strikes Back, the whole experience. There are several great memories where I can’t just pick one. I was nine that summer and it hit me harder than ANH, and I was absolutely hooked.

I had seen it once already, but my younger brother had not. I was going into fourth grade, and he was four and wanted to see it. We were visiting our grandparents and somehow talked our grandma into taking us. We saw it at a matinee at the Orpheum Theater in Madison, Wisconsin. It was one of the grand old theaters on State Street from a bygone era—giant sweeping aisles, velvet seats, and an enormous screen. My baby brother had been silent until Luke burst from the snow as he escaped the wampa, and let out this, “Oh wow!!!l" that echoed throughout the entire theater.

It was also the first time I realized we would have to wait three years to find out what happened to Han Solo. I came across Han Solo’s Revenge in a bookstore later that year and was convinced this was the sequel to ESB. I was convinced his revenge would directed at Vader. Needless to say, it wasn’t, but I was hooked non tie-in novels from that day.

3. What is your favorite Star Wars possession?

I have a near-complete collection of the Topps ESB card series. I think packs were around a quarter, and I saved so many quarters over the course of that era just to blow them all on the cards. (Said above baby brother chewed the awful bubble gum that came with them.) They are nowhere near mint condition. I carried them around in a box as a kid. They got beat up. I’m not much of a collector, but now they are a binder.

Also my brother and I saved up our collective allowance, birthday and chore money to buy the Kenner AT-AT. It is ridiculously big. Neither one of us knows what to do with it, so it’s in our parents’ basement to this day.

4. Were you around for the PT speculation? If so what’s your favorite moment from that period?

I wasn’t around on the board during that time, so. I can honestly say I was completely unspoiled for the entire prequel trilogy. During that era, I was hanging out at MediaWest Con with the original fandom dinosaurs that were old enough to be my parents. They threw me a great baby shower that was Star Wars themed!

5. We’re two movies into the Sequel Trilogy. Going in how high were your expectations and has it lived up to them so far?

I came into the Sequel Trilogy with few expectations. The only spoiler I knew for TFA was that Han died. I thought Han and Leia had named their kid Kylo, that Rey was his lost sister and that Snoke was Plagieus. I hated Kylo after the first viewing. I was ready hate him because I rarely like the villains in anything.

And I ended up flipping everything I thought I liked and hated.

I guess it all worked out because I had zero headcanon heading into it. I honestly had no expectations because I had drifted away from fandom around 2002. But I was happy the EU was pitched. I hated that Chewie had died and the storylines become a convoluted mess.

So for me, the ST has exceeded expectations. It rekindled my love for the saga, and when I sat in the theater to see both films, I had that same excitement hat I did as a child.

Yes, they are far from perfect, but I can honestly say I have loved TFA and TLJ.

I always say I want to be unspoiled (and I am so far for Solo.) Butt I am weak and, now I seem to cave pretty quickly. Was completely spoiled for TLJ with no regrets.

That said, I may go into radio silence for IX and try to the no spoilers route. But knowing me, I'll be mainlining spoilers in December 2017.

7. Do you have any theories about how the trilogy will end? Or perhaps a favorite theory you’ve read here?

I like the idea of a unified Cosmic Force. It’s why Rey and Kylo are two sides of the same coin, at least to me. I’m beginning to think the concept of the Prime Jedi and its premise of reconciling dark and light is something that may be the endpoint of this trilogy. I think Jedi and Sith are cursed to fail because they each function with a fractured half of the Force. Balance in the Force is something we have never truly seen, and I think we are seeing a paradigm shift when it comes to Force theology and philosophy.

I’m a big fan of redemption, and I think Hux is going stage a coup and seize control of the First Order. And if I want a pony, I want to see Kylo Ren be funny at least once. Adam Driver's sense of comedy is something that is highly underappreciated.

8. If your worst nightmare about the Sequel Trilogy were to come true what would it be?

Kylo Ren dies and every struggle and victory the Skywalker family achieved for four generations would be for naught. I see a redemption for him as redemption for the entire Skywalker family that has been forty years in the works.

Carrie Fisher would still be with us, and IX would be her swan song.

10. Of course in this brave new Star Wars world the Sequel Trilogy isn’t everything. In your opinion what’s the most exciting aspect of the Anthology series?

Lando Calrissian. Couldn’t stand the character in the OT, but I am really excited to learn more about him in Solo.

I am excited about the Anthology films. I love how we are seeing other pockets of this genre. As much as I like the Force/Skywalker saga, it’s great to learn about the rest of this galaxy from the Muggle standpoint.

Absolutely. He is the bridge between the past and the present. His fingerprint is present through the entire saga from being Anakin’s master and father figure to Ben Solo’s namesake, he has been the constant touchstone for three generations.

And it MUST include Ewan McGreggor!

Ahsoka. What did she do when she walked away from the Jedi Order. The tie-in novel is okay, but I want to know more.

I would give anything for Leticia Wright to play her. As neither Jedi nor Sith, I love the idea of her finding Balance and being a template for Kylo to some day emulate. (Would love Angela Bassett to play her at the age she was at the end of Rebels.)

And I would love Patty Jenkins to direct it.

13. Of the existing major Star Wars characters who is the one you’d most like to see get their own Anthology film?

A redemptive Ben Solo as galactic pariah acting as a Space Ronin. But he’s the Skywalker, so it wouldn't really be an anthology. It would be a Skywalker story. But it will never happen, because I highly doubt Adam Driver will want to play the character forever, so I will settle for novels.

Still technically a Skywalker story, but the loophole is it would occur before the ROTJ reveal. I’d love an anthology film about Leia prior to ANH. Can I vote for Millie Bobbie Brown to play her?

14. What about background characters? Are there any whose story you think needs to be told?

Maz. I definitely want to know her about her exploits as the Pirate Queen. I also want to learn more about her connection to the Force.

15. Beyond the Sequel Trilogy and Anthology series we have Rian Johnson’s trilogy and the Weiss/Benioff film series. How are you feeling about these films? Are you optimistic? Pessimistic?

I’m looking forward to both. I like Rian’s voice and how it works into the GFFA. Unlike some, I appreciate how Rian pushes the boundaries of comfort and has no concerns with subversion. He doesn't necessarily give you want you want, but I firmly believe he gives you what you need.

As for Weiss/Benioff, I am a huge GOT fan. They are experts weaving multiple characters and storylines and do a fabulous job at world building. I'm excited to see what they have to offer.

I want at least one of these to focus on the past. Would love the era of KOTOR to come to life. Would also love to see the story of the Prime Jedi and what possibly caused the schism forming dark and light.

17. Lucasfilm wants to create a new film series not connected to any of the previous films and you’ve been contacted for an interview in front of Kathleen Kennedy. You have a blank canvas give us your pitch.

If the above guys don’t pitch the Prime Jedi, I would pitch the story of the Force schism. It would be like Lucifer cast into hell that encompasses a way where the Force users are split into two factions: Jedi and Sith. Would love the Paradise Lost imagery. I would want to flesh out who was the equivalent of Lucifer, who is the equivalent of St Michael the Jedi standard bearer. And what were the circumstances that caused the schism?

Empire Strikes Back. It’s the perfect combination of adventure, Force story, romance and angst. It grabbed me more than ANH and nothing has had knocked it from the top. It made me love Han and Leia. This is the film that truly made me fall in love with the saga.

It would have to be Han encased in carbonite. It was tragic, awful and you can’t take your eyes off it. When he answers, “I know” it is for all of the feels. Do you know how hard it was for a nine-year-old to wait three years to find out what happened to him?

20. Favorite character?

Han Solo. He has been my favorite since ANH. The selfish smuggler that loved only himself that would, ironically, do anything for those he loved. Harrison Ford breathed life into this character and made him one for the ages. I was initially pretty skeptical of Alden Ehrenreich taking the baton, but I have loved the promos so far and feel that he is going to be just fine.

Close behind is his son Ben Solo/Kylo Ren. Partly because he is Han and Leia’s child. But Adam Driver has done an amazing job creating a villain I actually like and care about.

I love the Marvelverse, but it's more of a one and done approach. Great popcorn movies, but I only see them once. They just aren't ad deep and meaningful as the Star Wars universe. To be honest, I’m drawn to the more irreverent side: Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool. I also like the Batman franchise: Bale>Keaton>Affleck>Clooney.

Also a huge fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise, but that’s television. And I have a thing for zombies.

22. Saved the hardest question for last. What are your hopes for Star Wars in the future?

I want it to keep focusing on hope. It has always embodied family (both blood and those you choose), forgiveness, redemption, a journey home and help to those who need it. Star Wars has always been about optimism. It has been a respite from our angry, selfish world. And lastly, I want to continue to feel the goosebumps I did when I was six and the screen silently declared: A Long time ago, in a galaxy far, far ago.

My thanks to @Birkendoc for another great interview! I'll be more consistent with these from here on out. I hope. :p

20. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    @Darth Chiznuk you do realize I’ve been singing the chorus to the Juggernaut song for almost a week now. Holy......

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    @Birkendoc I'm deeply disappointed that you forgot Kilmer in your ranking of the Batman actors. For shame. For shame.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Incoming alert...

...Coruscant under attack...

...awaiting visual confirmation...

[​IMG]

Attack confirmed. Damage extensive. Resistance fleet spotted above the planet, supporting ground forces planetside.

Alerting command...

...reinforcements on their way.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

We are under attack! Send reinforcements immediately! Repeat we are under attack by Resistance forces and need reinforce...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have just received a communication from Commander FN-2334. He reports that the Galactic History Library on Coruscant is the target of the Resistance attack.

That makes no sense. Why would the Resistance attack a library? Relay the information to General Arun. He can sort this mess out.

Welcome back, recruit. I hope you enjoyed your vacation because it's back to work. As you know our "library" here was the target of a Resistance attack three weeks ago. Somehow they knew what our true purpose here is. We must have a leak. We'll deal with that later. For now we have more pressing concerns. The file I'm about to show you appears to be the one these rebels were after. He's a prisoner on Stygeon Prime. Or he was. He was broken out a week ago by what we assume was another Resistance operation. He must be important. You need to figure out why.

Case Subject: PymParticles
    Homeworld: Mygeeto
    Citizen ID#: LR-2789
    Tracking #: 890543-21
    Tracker Status: Inactive
    Last Known Location: Stygeon Prime

1. How did you first come across the Jedi Council forums?

Honestly? I don't actually remember. I had been lurking for some time prior to registering, so I must have come across the JCF sometime in early/mid-2014. In the build-up to VII I pretty much had Star Wars on the brain constantly, and I needed someplace to get a constant, steady stream of awful rumors and aggressive conversation about those rumors. And I’m really, really glad I found this place. There were a couple of years where I had really closed myself off and was pretty depressed, so it was nice to have a place I could regularly engage with in a positive way while I figured myself out.

The year is 1997; I’m like two and a half years old, and I’m sitting on my dad’s lap in a dark movie theater. Star Wars is playing on the screen in commemoration of its 20th anniversary, and Darth Vader walks out onto the hallway of the Tantive IV. That moment is seared into my memory forever, and it’s the beginning of what has thus far proven to be a lifelong love of both Star Wars and storytelling.

3. What is your favorite Star Wars possession?

I have my old toys, from the Power of the Force 2 line in the mid-90s that inexplicably gave every character He-Man proportions, and my old VHS tapes, which I pretty much burned out from overuse before I finished preschool. Also a copy of the 20th anniversary commemorative magazine, which I pored over when I was little and still flip through occasionally. Those definitely mean a lot to me, but I also have this absolutely gorgeous piece of artwork my brother got me for Christmas one year, depicting Luke and Vader in the carbon freezing chamber.

4. Were you around for the PT speculation? If so what’s your favorite moment from that period?

I was way too young to engage in online speculation at the time, but it was a regular dinner-table conversation with my parents. I genuinely thought Luke and Leia would be born on Dagobah (going entirely off of the “There’s something familiar about this place” line in TESB), and my mom was convinced Count Dooku would be revealed as Anakin’s father.

Has it lived up to my expectations? Yes and no. It’s not the ST I had in my head, and love-them-or-hate-them I think that’s true for pretty much every fan. My excitement was high, since I think I googled “Star Wars 7” at least once a month from May 2005 until October 2012 in the hopes that Lucas would even vaguely hint at Episodes VII-IX, but I tried to keep my expectations regarding quality relatively measured in the months leading up to TFA. That movie ended up exactly where I thought it would, below ANH/TESB and above RoTJ, and TLJ did it one better by sliding into my #2 spot.

I want it so spoiled it’s become a fancy cheese, pungent and marbled and spread on some nice, crusty French bread, paired with a bottle of pinot noir and enjoyed under a full moon on a crisp spring evening. The allegretto of Beethoven’s 7th symphony is playing softly on a slightly scratchy record. Crickets chirp peacefully in the distance. I turn to her and say, “I’d be much too frightened to tease a senator,” and she… I’m sorry, what was the question?

One of the things I liked about the ending of The Last Jedi is that I have absolutely no idea how this is all going to come to a close. I personally think Finn is going to lead a stormtrooper revolt, and my ideal outcome for Kylo Ren has him living his life out in isolated exile (like Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Luke) instead of atoning via self-sacrifice, which both feels too easy and too similar to Anakin/Vader. I want him to have to live with the things he’s done. Other than that, I’m just along for the ride.

My worst nightmare was “Dark Side Luke,” and luckily we dodged that bullet. I was also worried these movies wouldn’t feel like Star Wars, but for me at least they’re right on the mark. There’s nothing else that I would consider a nightmare scenario, although I’d prefer it if they didn’t pull out the rug and reveal Rey is a Skywalker, and I’m also not crazy about the idea of her ending up with Kylo romantically, but I could see myself tolerating both pending execution.

A little less derivation, especially in The Force Awakens, and a little more world building would definitely benefit the trilogy as a whole.

I like that they provide the opportunity to explore the margins of the world Lucas created. Since all of the Saga films are so jam-packed with every flavor imaginable, there isn’t necessarily time to linger for too long on the aspects the Anthology films zero in on, like war (Rogue One) or the criminal underworld (Solo).

I’m going to get stripped of my mod badge for this, but I’m going to go with nay. I don’t think Obi-Wan’s exile on Tatooine is the basis for an exciting story. I wouldn’t mind a smaller, intimate film, but realistically Lucasfilm is going to want their one (1) Star Wars movie each year to be an exciting blockbuster, and to me this just isn’t a good jumping point for that kind of film. You could take him off Tatooine for one last pre-ANH adventure, but to me that takes a lot of the punch out of his two decades of exile.

I’d love a Boba Fett in the style of a spaghetti western. Make it a bit grimier than Solo looks to be, don’t have Fett take his helmet off at any point, and actually show Boba as the highly competent and dangerous bounty hunter we were all told he was in TESB. I’d want the story to involve Boba having to take a bounty in alive, the two paired together for most of the film, and cast the bounty as our PoV character to examine Fett without getting too deep inside of him. I’m going to spitball Ryan Coogler as director; I actually think he could delve into some really interesting social talking points by way of bounty hunters being such a major occupation in the Star Wars universe, and what kind of society permits that.

Leia, absolutely. I would love for a movie set when she was a teenager, and just starting to become involved in the burgeoning Rebellion. Make it more of a spy-thriller than anything, since she’s still operating in her official capacity as an Imperial Senator.

I don’t think any story needs to be told, per se, but that doesn’t mean any story shouldn’t be told. I’m going to go with the Master Codebreaker from The Last Jedi. I instantly wanted to know more about that guy, and I’d easily watch a whole series of movies of him gambling, swindling, and romancing.

I’m optimistic about both, although I’m personally more excited to see Johnson’s trilogy than Benioff/Weiss’ series. For one thing, I at least know Johnson is directing the first film in his trilogy, whereas we don’t have any directors for the latter series yet. I also just happen to think Johnson represents the future of this franchise, and I’m curious to see where he takes it.

I’m different from a lot of fans in that the era doesn’t really matter to me as much. If I had to guess, Johnson’s will be set after the ST, so it can be considered in every sense as “moving the series forward,” but I think where is going to be more important, i.e. some corner of the Galaxy that’s so disconnected from where we’ve been so far that the events of the Skywalker Saga haven’t really had a strong impact. As for Benioff/Weiss, I’d bet some good Monopoly money (or maybe some chocolate gelt coins) that they’re going to be interested in the Old Republic period.

Set it in Unknown Space, a part of the Galaxy untouched by the Republic/Empire/First Order but ruled by the Chiss Ascendancy, where humans are regarded as a second-class species. The trilogy has bit of a noir-bend to it, and our protagonist is something of an interplanetary detective. He has a family heirloom that’s been passed down through the generations for years; a lightsaber, so old and worn it barely works. Because of this he saves it for when he really needs it, preferring to rely on his blaster. He gets called upon by a higher member of the Chiss nobility to investigate a conspiracy of dark cults, missing members of the peerage, and stories of a human terrorist who wants to take down the anti-human government, and is rumored to be able to move things with their mind and see things before they happen…

I bounce around a lot with this, but I’m going to settle on The Empire Strikes Back. It’s just a perfect piece of filmmaking, and although it doesn’t have the raw originality and creativity of A New Hope, it beautifully fleshes out every major character, introduces layers of moral ambiguity, has some of the most magical moments in the series, and features gorgeous cinematography to boot.

I think Obi-Wan telling Anakin, “You were my brother, Anakin… I loved you!” has succeeded in making my eyes glisten every time I’ve watched Revenge of the Sith since I was 10. Luke and Leia’s reunion in The Last Jedi comes very, very close, as does Anakin’s farewell to his mother in The Phantom Menace.

20. Favorite character?

Ooh. As a kid, Luke Skywalker, and he comes close to reclaiming the top spot every now and then, but for the past few years it’s pretty consistently been Han Solo. And it’s not just because he’s cool (although he is) but I easily find him to be the most relatable. He undervalues himself as person, he has difficulty allowing himself to be vulnerable, and he has a constant driving need to prove his worth. His bravado, sarcasm, and devil may care attitude is just a front to cover up deep-seated insecurity; no one without the need to prove themselves would chase six stormtroopers down a hall, or fly directly into an asteroid field.

I have a ton (Harry Potter, James Bond, Godzilla, Rocky, Marvel Cinematic Universe), but my favorite right underneath Star Wars has to be Indiana Jones. I can’t overstate what a huge impact George Lucas (and Steven Spielberg) had on shaping my imagination as a kid.

I want it to be fun. I want it to remain relevant, and reflect modern sensibilities as they inevitably change with the passing of time, while still retaining its universal, timeless mythological underpinnings. I want kids to watch these films and see themselves in the characters on screen. I want kids (and adults!) to be inspired by these movies to create and pursue their dreams, whatever those dreams may be. And when I have kids of my own, I want their Star Wars to look nothing like mine; I want it to be theirs, but I want to be able to share myStar Wars with them nevertheless, just like my dad did with me all those years ago.

I promise I'll get more consistent with putting out these interviews... someday. :p This is another great one and I hope everyone enjoys it! Thanks to my fellow mod @PymParticles for taking the time to do the interview!

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Thanks for having me! This was a lot of fun. And, just as a disclaimer, I answered the "ideal Anthology film" question before James Mangold was pinned to the project :p

24. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Wow.