main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Forum: Small Screen Star Wars

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kadue, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    After discussion that had started way back when the Clone Wars multimedia event was announced by StarWars.com, a new forum has been created for the discussion of all the Star Wars television projects that have been released over the years.

So I'd like to present to you the Small Screen Star Wars forum. Please make sure that you have a read of the Welcome thread to get an idea of the focus of the forum, and how the issue of spoilers will be handled in there.

While the majority of discussion is likely to centre around the Clone Wars Animated Shorts, it is a place to discuss everything, from the Holiday Special all the way up to now.

2. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I assume this is also for Fan made films like Troops? Or is there already a different forum for that also?

3. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    The Fan Films forum already exists for Fan Films like Troops.

4. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    Great idea for a forum!

5. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I wonder, just how busy is this forum going to get?

From my experience, there is a line with balancing forums to subjects, that if crossed means that the subject area is so small that minimal discussion uptake happens. You see it all the time at small ezboards. someone creates 15 forums, and gets no posts, whereas if they had 1 they might generate a posting community there.

In the end, this forum is going to be Clone Wars, Droids, Ewoks, The Ewok movies and the Holiday special.

Is this enough legs for discussion?

I just feel that these subjects could have been nicely squeezed into the present forum set up with minimal problems.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm guessing that the Clone Wars cartoon will make up nearly all discussion in the forum at all times. But for those who grew up watching Droids and Ewoks on Saturday mornings, talking about that will be fun, too. :)

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    It will definitly be a smaller forum. It's not going to get the traffic of the movie forums but we discussed all the options and I think this was the most logical.

8. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Ah, good idea. :)

Its silly to have multiple Clones threads in AOTC, Community, Ep 3, LucasFilms, Various Fanforces etc.

9. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Excellent - also to be featured in this weekend newsletter!

Josh

10. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    can't you people just let the Holiday Special die an unremarkable death, unnoticed by anyone????

I mean, that thing is a sore spot for many of us "purists"...

Bea Arthur dancing with a rat-thing is canon???

:_|

11. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    As long as there are forums for Classic Trilogy, Star Wars Misc, Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3 No Spoilers, and Episode 3 Spoilers Allowed, I'll be happy... up in the hizzy.

12. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i heard that MrMarcus and John Holmes appear in the background of a scene in the holiday special. OMG!!1

13. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Bea Arthur dancing with a rat-thing is canon???

BWAHAHAHAHA! LMAO! :D

14. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Surely you jest.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    You can discuss aspects of the cartoon as it relates to a spoiler in the 3SA. It will just be more limited than the new cartoon forum itself.

16. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I think that every SW fan has to have the chance, nay, the priviledge of watching that masterpiece that is the SW Holiday Special.

Specially with a couple bottles of Vodka!

17. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    And a blindfold ;)...

18. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Honestly, are a few short-lived cartoons, a craptastic TV special and a new series of shorts (that fit in the AotC board) worthy of a whole new forum? This seems more than a little overkill to me.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    MrEmh [face_shocked]

It's sort of funny how of the topics that are allowed to be discussed, the Holiday Special and Muppets cannot really be located through traditional and honorable means. In all honesty, few have actually seen either. Droids and Ewoks haven't aired in more than a decade. And the cartoon will only be 2-3 minutes in length every once in awhile. 8-}

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Actually, the Muppets episode is legally available on DVD, on one of those "Best of the Muppet Show" DVDs that you may have seen commercials for.

After only a few days in existance, the forum already has over half as many posts as the SW Fan Sites forum.

If anyone cares, here's my reasoning behind the forum, which I posted the other day in the AC:
    I was for the separate forum for a few different reasons.

First off, there was discussion on the cartoons in multiple forums. I don't think I need to explain how this can hurt discussions. It looks to me like the fanbase for these cartoons isn't going to be the same as any of the existing groups (whether it's EU fans, movie fans, etc.). Some movie fans absolutely love the idea, while others absolutely hate it.

Second, I think the SW Community forum moves too fast for good discussions on some of the harder-to-find, or less-known Star Wars TV shows. The Clone Wars cartoons will end up being around an hour of new footage. The two Ewok movies were around 90 minutes each. The Ewoks and Droids cartoons ran for a combined total of 3 seasons.

I don't think this forum will reach the size of the movie forums, and I don't expect it to. I think there will be more discussion when the Clone Wars cartoon is released. There are a lot of fans who either haven't heard of some of these other TV shows, or know very little about them. This forum can help educate those people, and it can give everyone a place to discuss the shows in a slower atmosphere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.