main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New forum suggestion.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Indecent, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indecent

Indecent Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    The recent LMM fiasco has generated a lot of negative threads. And yes, these threads ARE in the right place. However, also in this forum are suggestion threads, Mod Squad updates and much more. I'm sure that many of the people who post to topics here, do not want to be confronted with the debating of a mods suitability or lack thereof. But on top of that, these issues are vitally important to many people. people who want to see Justice servered. So maybe there should be a complaints section of communications... a new forum, where the more negative side of things can be dealt with, and we can save people the hassle of our little verbal jousts.

Edit: topic resolved.

2. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001

Anything that is within the TOS, but can't be resolved via a simple PM, should be posted here.

If you want to make "verbal jousts" with other users, make sure you're not going outside the TOS. Also, if you post in Communications, make sure it's actually a legit complaint.

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Make it the DRAMA! Forum and let I_D moderate it.

That is all for now.

4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    That seems a bit superfluous, though. There are only so many types of threads that go in Comms, there's really not much of a reason to further specialize things.

Amazing.

5. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Slinger... the problem is that communications acts as a catchall. This is hightligfhted by the recent situation provided by the LMM topic. Its been quite a heated debate at times, and to be blunt, a highly negative topic. People here at the JC don't always want to see negative topics, but a lot of the time they are necessary. And topic titles can often be misleading, so therefore, a forum dedicated to such negative threads would remove that atmosphere from communications, leaving it free for the regular suggestions et all to continue.
    Do not fear change. Embrace it :)

6. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Or people could just make their titles more clear as to what's being discussed...

7. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Indeed Griffz, but titles can be misinterpeted. I am thinking of those who find the discussion of the more 'dark' topics distasteful. They should be spared such topics by having them removed from that section to a more appropiate section. It would also make it easier for the administration to identify any problems.

8. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001

Um, pardon me for not seeing a point in this, but can you give us an example of something other than the LMM situation that would be suitable for this other forum but not for Communications?

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------

9. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Sure... complaints of threads being locked. I know this should be conducted over PM, but we all know that this is not alweays the case. If someone performs badly at the JC, this new forum would act as a base of notification... say you PM one Admin who the logs off. Your grievance will wait till he logs on... an hour? two? A day? more? This forums gives a base to let people know whats going on.

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Mods will answer your PMs much quicker than they will seek out threads in Evil Communications, I think.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If you PM a mod, and they log off...

you could always [face_shocked] PM another mod!!!

12. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I disagree with Indecent on this issue. Sorry.

13. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    will answer your PMs much quicker than they will seek out threads in Evil Communications, I think.

[face_laugh]

Boy, if this is good communications, then an evil one would destroy anyone who even looked at the threads there. ;)

Seriously, there's no need for extraneous threads. It's not about being afraid of change; it's about being afraid of redundancy.

14. Redundancy

Redundancy Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 2002
    There is no reason to be afraid of me. I don't bite.

Redundancy - seriously, I don't bite
    King of Everything Redundant

15. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    :eek:

You're the embodiment of everything the mods strive to destroy.

;)

16. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Seriously, there's no need for extraneous threads. It's not about being afraid of change; it's about being afraid of redundancy.

I'll point out i'm not trying to be offensive :) gotta clear that up first :) But the point is, those threads are not extraneous... they will appear anyway, what I am suggesting is that they are given a more apt home.

17. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I wouldn't say you were trying to be offensive, but I for one don't really understand what threads you don't think belong here and why? And why it would be worth creating a whole new forum for it?

18. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Just in case my 'missing the point' comment was misconstrued. Not that people at the JC can be over sensitive.
    But I am suggesting that all threads of a negative tone be placed in said forum. Essentially to paraphrase an earlier post, a good communications and a bad. A light side and a dark to the force if you will. One forum will contain all the mod squad updates, the manual signature threads, whilst the other would contain all the angry threads et all

19. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    And yes, these threads ARE in the right place.

You answered you're own question why it's not necessary. There are negative threads in just about every forum here, and no one is immune to it.

20. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    The thing is, Comms is hardly ever posted in. There are like times of heavy posting, and then it's dead for awhile. The mods are always on top of things here, and it stays relatively calm until a big issue comes up. I just can't see how a whole new forum would really help the situation; it would just be wasted space. :)

21. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Indeed carter, negative topics are scattered throughout the forums, like dissident rebellion forces throughtout the galaxy (Star Wars is on terristial TV tommorrow... I'm going all allagory on it). But the highest volume of topics that should not be locked is most definatley here. there are matters that many would like to discuss. And to that end, a new forum would facilitate this.

22. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I don't see how a new forum is necessary. This forum is slow enough that there can be enough time taken for each thread. And, yes, some threads here are in the wrong place or could be handled by PMs, in which case the thread starter is informed of this.

You said: I'm sure that many of the people who post to topics here, do not want to be confronted with the debating of a mods suitability or lack thereof.

then they can just skip those threads. These debates are usually contained in one thread, which is easily avoidable if one does not care for the conversation at hand.

You also said: So maybe there should be a complaints section of communications... a new forum, where the more negative side of things can be dealt with, and we can save people the hassle of our little verbal jousts.

The Communications forum is just that: a forum for communications. Some of these communications are of the complaint nature and that's fine, as long as there's no flaming involved. You're allowed to complain, and this is the place for it if you feel that it should be righted.

You furthermore said: People here at the JC don't always want to see negative topics,

my experience has been the otherwise: that people here, like people all over, will flock to negative threads rather than positive threads. It's like a car crash. Everyone wants to add on to the gridlock to see such a horrid sight. And while some may be doctors who can help, others are just there to see what's going on and to maybe try to help if they can. And others are just there to see the mangled form of a human being being taken out of a wrecked car b/c they drank and drive (don't do that). The reason negative threads grow so large is b/c ppl *like* to post in them. It makes them feel like they did something to help out. Or, in some cases, they've helped build the case against a fellow board user.

You said (I've run out of adverbs): And topic titles can often be misleading, so therefore, a forum dedicated to such negative threads would remove that atmosphere from communications, leaving it free for the regular suggestions et all to continue.

but can't regular suggestions also contain complaints? Besides, like I said above, this forum is so slow that no one's time is really wasted by clicking on a thread and then alt-F4ing out of there.

They should be spared such topics by having them removed from that section to a more appropiate section.

This *is* the appropriate section. This is the place for communications b/w mods and members.

It would also make it easier for the dministration to identify any problems.

see above. I can assure you that I click on every current topic here and read it. You can bet that any new topics here are read by at least 5 mods within a reasonable span of time.

But I am suggesting that all threads of a negative tone be placed in said forum.

which would them most likely become a hotbed of flaming.

But the highest volume of topics that should not be locked is most definatley here.

threads are locked when their purposes are served.

23. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    I may be way off base here, but don't you think the idea should receive some consideration before being dismissed out of hand?

24. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So maybe there should be a complaints section of communications... a new forum, where the more negative side of things can be dealt with...

And we could just make Internet_Drama the mod for that forum ;)

25. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    But the highest volume of topics that should not be locked is most definatley here.

Topics which lead to spam or degenerate into other issues are locked, and by that time the topic discussion has been answered.

there are matters that many would like to discuss.

This forum serves that purpose well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.