main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New forum suggestion.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Indecent, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indecent

Indecent Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Topics which lead to spam or degenerate into other issues are locked, and by that time the topic discussion has been answered.

I'm afraid I have to disagree carter... questions are not always answered. Admins/Mods sometimes lock a topic, with a comment... a final word shall we say, and that can be sort of one upmanship... because its frowned upon to attempt to continue a topic after its been locked. In a forum dedicated to these negative topics, certain leeway could be added... like a warning before locking, to asllow counter points to be raised before the locking.

2. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    I know you're referring to the original LMM thread Cetera started, but that discussion continued in the thread Just_A_Slacker started in the next day.

3. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Which itself was closed with unanswered questions. I talked to the mod via PM... but that means only I got an answer... cheer gandolf by the way, I appreiciate the response :) while in the case of DDH he just stopped responding after I countered one of his points.

4. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    To get back on topic, this forum is sufficient for what you initially proposed.

5. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    And to counter, if I may presume to do so. Don't you think, as I sated earlier, that maybe more discussion should be alloted to this idea, before it is dismissed out of hand?

6. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    Continue with your discussion, this thread is still open.

7. Indecent

Sep 7, 2002
    Much appreciated... i'd like to hear others opinions. As is obvious, i'm very much in favour of this. Am I the only one?

8. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Theres no need. It's not like this place is blowing up with 10 posts a minute all day! And as far as I understand, anything that cant be resolved in PM's or is a public issue concerning the boards goes here.

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm afraid I have to disagree carter... questions are not always answered. Admins/Mods sometimes lock a topic

This is a true enough comment, however, I don't think a "negative" forum is needed. It would be, by its very purpose, a breeding ground for unnecessary drama.

10. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The Communications forum is just that: a forum for communications. Some of these communications are of the complaint nature and that's fine, as long as there's no flaming involved. You're allowed to complain, and this is the place for it if you feel that it should be righted.

Perfectly stated, Liz.

The comms forum is meant for all public discussion with the administration, good or bad.

Another forum wouldnt really help to keep the negatives out of here. After all, the ModSquad updates often turn into debates. What will happen to them?

Why hide away peoples negative comments? Perhaps members that come here want to know about the running of the board, good or bad. Why split things up and make them run all over the place?

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Wouldn't a negative complaint forum degenerate into nothing but a flame forum, by its very nature? And the suggestion of flame forums are shot down whenever they come up.

Amazing.

12. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    i'd like to hear others opinions

It's not really necessary, IMO.

~H~

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Indecent, why separate positive and negative comments? A forum cannot survive on purely positive or purely negative comments. It needs a good mix of both so that people know which are the areas of improvement and which are the areas that are going well, as well as to provide a more accurate overall look of the current situation. Separating the forums will simply result in some people thinking that the place is doing very well while others think that it couldn't be worse.

As others like Liz and Dagsy have mentioned, the Communications forum is simply a forum for communications. Questions are meant to be addressed here. What is the use of a forum merely for complaints if you do not want a response, perhaps because the response to the complaint may be negative?

In response to you saying that mods close threads without allowing for much discussion, what would cause you to assume that a separate forum would avoid this problem? The same problems could still occur there - avoiding of the problem mentioned.

And no, it is not true that people don't like seeing negative threads and this would be a way to remove some of them. I don't think the situation is as serious as Liz says, where people simply like to flock to the threads with negative comments, but the point is that one must be able to accept both negative and positive comments for improvement. Those members who may feel that they are not in the mood for a big discussion can simply choose to skip that topic.

I think that all of us here don't want a repeat of what happened to the JCC - where the serious topics, the art topics, the poll topics were taken out to separate forums, and now all that's left is mostly social thredas.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.