NEW GAME ! Post a quote!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Headhunter0183, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Headhunter0183 Jedi Master

star 2
    What is Post A Quote/PAQ?

Post-A-Quote (PAQ) is a GAME of memories.

How do you play PAQ?

A scene is posted from an Expanded Universe book and the players try to determine the Characters, Title, Page #, or next sequence of actions prior to or subsequent to the scene. By answering correctly, the "winner" posts the next quote.

What is the OBJECT of the game?

The object of PAQ is to generate an awesome flood of memories for EU books that have fueled our obsessions (or entice new readers to go out and find the book!). The object is NOT to stump the players.

What are the Rules?

There are 5 simple rules:

There is NO guessing. You must supply the characters involved the chapter number, page number OR an explanation of what actions preceded the quote, or came after it. If you can't do that, please wait for another time. If you know the quote, you should be able to prove it. The poster of the PAQ will determine if your explanation warrants a Win!

You must post enough of a scene to easily lead the players to the answer.
    At best, the scene you choose should include "hints" as to the answer. That can be location, race, clothing, group affiliation, mode of transportation, profession, etc.

A new clue should be given each day (24hrs) until the quote is identified. If the poster desires to post more clues, in reasonable intervals, he/she may do so.
    Only the person posting the quote can declare a winner. If the poster is unable to do this (illness, work, etc.), they can request that someone else (moderator or friend, etc.) do so. If the original poster does not declare the winner within 24 hours, the moderators will do so.

Once a winner has been declared he/she gets to post a new quote within 24 hours - or a moderator will step in and post the new quote...or at least thats how its supposed to work!
  2. Headhunter0183 Jedi Master

star 2
    Ok everybody heres the first quote.

##### decdied to move to the attack. He dropped his left hand from the saber's grip and extended his blade in a one-handed thrust to give himself more reach as he advanced toward @@@@@@@. But she would have none of that. She brought her lightsaber crashing down at the tip of his blade, striking with maximum violence at precisely the angle required to knock his blade downward. The strike forced ####### into an awkward backward stance while weakening his grip on the saber's handle. His blade slammed down into the permacrete of the landing pad, gouging a hole in it, forcing him to concentrate, if only for a moment, on freeing his blade, rather than on his opponent.

He almost had the blade clear, but it was already too late. @@@@@@@ reversed her stroke and swung hard at his blade from the opposite direction, slamming it clear of the permacrete-and knocking #######'s lightsaber completely out of his hand. The lightblade cut off automatically when #######'s hand was off the grip. The weapon went sailing through the air, landing fifteen meters away on the hard stand.

##### looked up at [her] in stunned surprise, and caught the wide grin on her face. She raised her balde in salute, and then shut off the lightsaber. The ruby-red blade vanished wiht a final whir of power, and she clipped her lightsaber to her belt.

Ok there it is. I hope everybody likes this game. Get posting!
    Headhunter
  3. Elori Jedi Master

star 4
    That's a lightsaber battle between Luke and Leia in the Corellian Trilogy right after Luke has given Leia the lightsaber he built for her. Book one, Ambush at Corellia. Do I really need the page numbers?
  4. Headhunter0183 Jedi Master

star 2
    I think you nailed it!
    Good job Elori
    I was just takin it easy on you guys just to get started.
    Now its your turn! Pick a good one.
  5. Elori Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay! Here's my quote:

"*****," @@@@@ said softly, " I wonder if you wouldn't favor me with a demonstration of that lightsaber. I've heard about them."

"I think not." ***** kept his tone polite. "I don't want to alarm your troopers."

"They won't be alarmed." @@@@@ touched another key on his desk. A door slid open. Two white-armored stormtroopers stepped inside. "I'd like to keep your astromech droid here. You two: take custody."

"I'd prefer to keep ##### with me." ***** didn't think @@@@@ meant the threat seriously, but he unhooked, swept up, and activated the saber in a single motion. For all his willingness to talk, @@@@@ thought like an Imperial. He wanted a demonstration. He'd get it.
  6. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    I know the answer 8-} but I don't want to win now. ;)

I'll let someone else answer. :)
  7. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. Elori Jedi Master

star 4
    You don't want to play the game :_|
  9. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    That's from the Truce at Bakura, between Luke and the Imperial Commander, whatshisname. I do know that that is the book though.
  10. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I think that I like this.

Heres one:

"Shut off that glow light, ####" @@@@@ shouted. "You're as crazy as your father."
    Shut down his lightsaber? Backstep. Swing. Beetles boiled over each other, some stopping to crew on the ones he'd killed. The biggest one yet, black antennae as thick as a Twi'lek's lekku, sailed in over the other's backs. ##### sidestepped and sliced it in two, but as he did, something sharp closed in on his left ankle.

Who, When, Where and What?
  11. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    Just read that book last week. :D

That's Jacen and Droma, in Settlement 32, on the planet Duros, in the book Balance Point. I believe it's after they've evacuated Settlement 32, and some people are going back for the refugees' belongings. They're attacked by mutant beetles. I forget the name.
  12. Elori Jedi Master

star 4
    All right, well thanks for going on ahead without letting me okay it... :(

I wanted to feel special :_|

8-}
  13. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    Trust me, being special isn't all you'd expect it to be. :p
  14. Headhunter0183 Jedi Master

star 2
    Im glad you guys like this game. I got the idea from my wifes romance book message board. Everybody please try to remember the rules though. No new quotes untill you have been declared the winner.
    Im probably gonna have a hard time gettin back in as I havent read that many EU books yet. Ill keep readin though. Have fun !
  15. Jedi_Satimber Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    HH, don't worry. Someone will post one that you know.

Congrats on making a thread. I will try and play the game, to the best of my abilities.
  16. Elori Jedi Master

star 4
    JediTrilobite You are the winner! I suggest you change your quote, quick! :)
  17. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Sorry for the mistake everyone.
    Here's my NEW quote.

Reflexively, ####'s hand darted for his lightsaber. He'd barely begun the movement when the shock of a stun weapon coursed through him from behind.
    There were jedi methods for fighting off unconsiousness. But they all took at least a split second of preperation-- a split second that #### did not have. Dimly, he felt himself falling; heard @@@@@'S frantic trilling in the distance; and wondered with his last consious thought how in the world &&&&&& had done this to him.

Who, Where, What, When?

(Nice job with that last one, Jadesaber. Sorry about that.)
  18. Jedi_Satimber Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    That quote is reminding me of the scene to an extent...I think my problem is that I have only read each SW book once and the ones from longer than a year are hard to remember for me. :(
  19. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    JediTrilobite

Luke, above the Wild Karrde, Artoo, Heir to the Empire?
  20. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Nice job Jedi_Liz. Luke, Wild Karrde, and Artoo. The book is Heir to the Empire.
    You only missed Talon Karrde, who is the shooter, but its close enough.
  21. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    wow, considering I haven't read that book in a long time.....I am actually surprised I was right.

I don't have a quote right now - I need to look for the perfect one......so give me a few hours if that's okay?

Actually, Talon was NOT the one that stunned Luke. It was one of his employees ;)
  22. Jedi_Satimber Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    You got up to 24 hrs I think
  23. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Right, right.
    23 hrs and counting.
  24. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    okay, I found one! [face_devil]

"&&&&&& ran at the injured shooter, hit him with his shoulder in passing, and knocked him sprawling.

As the ******* had been, this ******* also was more adept at cursing than he was at shooting.

Doors began to open into the hallway, and armed ******* *********, most of them dressed for sleep, emerged.

He was in for it now.

He swung his lightsaber and tried to cut a path to freedom."

I'd like to try to have as much as possible filled in. Book, characters, etc..... ;)

oh, p.s. as long as i have the chance to edit.....the # of ***** and &&&&& don't necessarily mean that's how many in the name.

That may give it away now. ;)
  25. Jedi_Satimber Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    geez Liz...that is a pretty tough one.

I know that I am not going to be right, but I am going to take a shot.

Corran Horn on the Lusankya when he was captured? I can't remember the book though. I know it is not "I, Jedi"
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.