main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

new imac or new G4?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by sithlord432, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithlord432

sithlord432 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2002
    Which do you think is better

New imac:
    17" in screen
    800mhz processor
    512 mb ram
    Geforce4 MX
    80 gb hard drive
    superdrive
    pro speakers
    -for $2150

-or-

New Powermac G4:
    15"in flatscreen
    Dual 867mhz
    512 mb ram
    60gb harddrive
    superdrive
    pro speakers
    -for $2707

How much faster will the Powermac G4 be over the other one, and will you see a significant difference in performance. If not the imac is a better deal because of its larger harddrive, monitor, and much lower price. Please help if you know.

2. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Well that GeForce4 MX will really act like a Geforce2.

3. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i would say the imac because it looks really cool. but i dont think you can upgrade it so i would really say the big G4

4. sithlord432

Aug 11, 2002
    Im not going to be really upgrading it so...

5. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    what kind of video card is in the G4.... upgrade to something more than a GF4 MX, they are trash... no A/V options, and they're based on the GeForce 2 core, they're not really even GF4

6. sithlord432

Aug 11, 2002
    it comes with an mx4, but does it really make such a difference in video editing. i mean by the time i upgrade to a new chip the powermac is already like $1000 more expensize than the imac, and i dont know if its worth it

7. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    OS X does take advantage of the dual processor. Im running an 867 G4 w/Superdrive (got it almost a year ago now), and from what Ive seen of the dual processors, they really help out with the speed of the machine.

As for not upgrading, something else to think about...with the tower you may not upgrade, but you may want to add a harddrive or 4. I have two internals in my tower now and Ive actually thought about getting another one or two in the future. I also have a external FW drive (which is nice to transfer those really big (GB's) files somewhere else, but the internal drives really are nice as well as fast when working between each other.

The iMac (iLamp as I like to call it) is a really good deal and a good machine as well. Practically the same as what Im running.

Id say Tower as thats what Im partial to using, and you get the benefit of dual processors (which Im sure more and more apps will be utilizing in the future).

8. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    I don't know if you have thought about it but you might want to also consider alternate monitors for the PowerMac like a larger CRT. That would drop the price considerably and could give you higher screen resolution.

As for the dual processors nearly all the current video editing software supports them, eg. After Effects, Photoshop, Premier, Maya, DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro, iDVD, iMovie, QuickTime, Avid Media Composer, EditDV, Combustion, Cleaner, Flash, Cinema 4D, Media 100 CineStream, LightWave and Sorenson.

9. LordBender

LordBender Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2002
    i suggest to buy the desctop g4 with 19" crt and more ram. a 15" isn't the deal. i worked on the new imac with 15" tft with photoshop, belive me it suckes. videoediting on 15", forget it. the tower is really the best way to get what u wont: dual proz., more ram, more hd and later a better graficcard.

10. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    There is an adapter for the Mac that let's you use ANY monitor... not just the overpriced Mac compatibles. The cost is about $30.00. You can get a 21' Viewsonic for less than $300. If you look hard enough you can get one for less than $250. Add $30 for the adapter and you just saved a buttload over anything a Mac catalogue has or anything you will find in a store.

Rule of thumb... a great deal of hardware made for the PC will work on the Mac. Don't think that you HAVE to buy their hardware. Example... I went to the local Apple store the other day. I saw a 40GB external firewire drive for $340! I just bought a 100GB drive for my PC.... price $177 including shipping. The case allows me to switch between hard drives as well as any IDE drive(CD-R,DVD-ROM...etc). They both work on PC as well as Mac.

Shop wisely....

11. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    Don't go with either!
    check this linkie for way better deals.

i especially like this'un: :D
    linkie

no monitor included, but oh well.

12. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    check this linkie for way better deals.

Ummmm.....you do realise that it has Windows installed.

/me runs away and lights the fuse.

Mwahahaha!!! I love playing with PC and Mac extremists! :p

13. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    just to point out.. not ALL pc's run windows

besides windows is a cluttered silly os :p ms should follow apple :p and just make windows based on unix :)

that'd be scary actually.. maybe they shouldnt..

anyway yay for pc's with linux :)

EDIT:
    im a pc user.. BUT doesnt mean i have anything against mac :p... in your shoes .. i'd probably want to get the dual processor machine and slowly add stuff to it over time... just simply because a dual processor G4 would blaze thru most any app (that supports dual procs.. like most editing software and graphics programs..) and two's better than one right? ;)

14. sithlord432

Aug 11, 2002
    but is it worth it to get the G4 if its so much more expensive and not much better in speed? also what does dual processor mean, does it mean 2 chips or 1? thanks

15. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    dual means 2 of something, generally in tandem.

16. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    yes dual is two chips.. however.. two 800 mhz chips are far more powerful than a single 800 mhz chip (assuming the software supports it).. and for a price difference of $600 (according to what you said the prices were) the dual option is alot more attractive to me.. altho to make the dual cheaper i'd drop the flat pannel monitor and go for a larger normal (CRT) monitor.. they're cheaper.. also get more ram :)

17. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    how about you don't get either and get a decent computer....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.