main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New image for competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by lolleader, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolleader

lolleader Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2000
    Hey everyone,

I'm pariticipating in a art competition - the subject was to depict a Star Wars starfighter. So without further ado:

[image=http://crs-morningstar.net/personal/challenge6.jpg]

Any feedback you could provide would really help me out, since I've still got a week or so to tweak. TIA!

2. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    on the blue "paint" I would wash it out a bit, make it look a bit more worn or old... and a hint of motion blur.

But that is just my opinion

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    looks cool. :D

4. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Very nice. The only part that doesn't look quite right is the front of the lead Y-wing. All of the lines seem too hard and deep. Like Crunchy said, wash things out just a bit.

On a slightly related note, why exactly does Hoth have clouds? The planet can't possibly have any liquid water on it, since it's so damn cold. So if all the water is frozen, how does it evaporate and condense into clouds?

5. lolleader

May 26, 2000
    Thanks the responses so far!

Not sure on the cloud issue - moons surrounding Saturn and Jupiter have clouds though, and its arguably pretty darn cold out there too. My only guess is the sun.

6. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    speaking of hoth, though, it should be all white/grey. no blue. check the movie for this one.

and i think there were clouds on hoth in ESB...

anybody got a pic?

7. lolleader

May 26, 2000
    I checked out the SWTC for pics of Hoth - in most of the shots, its pretty darn cloudy, but in a few, you can see some "blue" in the planet:

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/zs/tesb/lslaunch1.jpg]

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/zs/tesb/poddown2.jpg]

What I'll do is desaturate the atmosphere and Hoth layers a bit more in PS. Hopefully have an updated pic in a bit...I forgot another "tidbit" I needed to include...

8. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    by saying that it can't possibly have clouds means you're assuming they're water-based clouds... they could be methane clouds or some other gas that liquifies at low temperatures... :p

the only thing that I think you should do or should've done, everyone does the ships in the foreground and the planet directly behind... I think you should have the planet along the bottom or top or one of the corners, taking up half the image, as if the ships are just now coming out of the atmosphere...

beyond that, it looks good...

Darksteps...

9. lolleader

May 26, 2000
    Darksteps, thanks for the comments. I still have the big render of Hoth I did, so I'll try that.

EDIT: the element I need to add is going to use some of the starfield space, but I'll definitely try your suggestion for future images - this is actually the first "whole planet" background I've done.

I know a lot of folks don't agree with the fellas opinions, but he has some interested commentary on Hoth's climate at the SWTC...I'd go check it out.

EDIT: See above for updated image. If you're wondering what the grouping of stars is in the lower right, we're supposed to incorporate an Ewok into the image somehow, so I thought that'd be a cool way of doing it. :)

10. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    The image is nice. But my eyes were drawn to the star-outline of the little smiley faced kid in the lower right under the fighter. Two bright eyes, a curvy smile, and head. Its there just blaring out at me.

11. lolleader

May 26, 2000
    Hey MKane!

Thanks for the response - if you noticed my last post, you'll see that was deliberate - and its an Ewok. :)

12. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    lol :D great idea!

13. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I like this pic. You're all wondering if hoth has clouds or not. For me it's not important at all. Very good lighting

14. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i'm wondering... did you end up winning or at least entering the pic? also, is there a newer version? i know this was a while ago, but i'm still interested :)

15. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Holy thread ressurection. I read the title and said to myself, "tell me there is not another star wars fighter image contest"... okay there isn't. whew

*runs out of the room ducking for cover

16. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ^lol... i'm just curious about an update :)

or is there a link i could go to? maybe i missed smthng.

17. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    HAH! This came from far left field...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.