main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New IMAX Rumor

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64347

My opinion on this is it's IMAX's wishful thinking. The CEO was talking to investors and he was probably trying to keep them happy with the hope that Abrams would film part of the movie in IMAX.

As this isn't coming from Abrams, I wouldn't put too much hope in it happening. Abrams has sad he wants Episode VII to look similar to other Star Wars movies, and blowing it up to the full IMAX resolution would be quite a change (even with the IMAX Episode II)...

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You guys and gals with more knowledge on the subject will have to help me out on this. In what ways would VII "being used with partly IMAX cameras" affect the viewing experience in a non IMAX theatre? What advantages or disadvantages would it potentially offer?

The only thing I know about IMAX is the bare minimum: that films shown in IMAX theatres are projected on to a much bigger screen, only with cropped images, I think? [face_dunno]

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm down my theater will be nuts.

4. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    And this is a surprise how? Most blockbuster directors are at least shooting some parts of their films in the format and most are post converted to the format anyway.

5. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    is imax even that big of a deal? never saw a film in imax so

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well I would actually say more of the films are not necessarily actually SHOTwith IMAX cameras,only a few. Most of the films are converted in postproduction. JJ Abrams has been known to film with an IMAX camera, at least for a few of his recent movies when possible-Star Trek into darkness and Mission impossible being the ones that come to mind immediately.

I would be perfectly fine with it TBH. I wouldn't really care either way if they use IMAX cameras are not. Those cameras would be awesome for Star Wars because it provides a much more immersive experience for visually rich movies like Star Wars. It could definitely benefit from it.

If it's offered, I will see it! I didn't actually used to be an IMAX person before, but some friends of mine got me to break my IMAX virginity so to speak with the Avengers last year, and now I watch all of the big blockbusters in IMAX whenever possible. and it is amazing-if not just the picture, but also the incredible sound quality-that's another big point to that, with their digital sound mixes in the theaters. Just the thought of hearing sound effects of Star Wars: the lightsabers, starships flying by, etc. with the awesome IMAX system with it's heavy bass and everything rattling me in my seat, gets me super excited for Episode VII. As an example,The dark Knight rises was absolutely incredible in IMAX-not only because almost half of the movie was filmed with an IMAX camera, but also the sound was incredible! and when "the bat" flew out of the alley over the cops for the first time, hearing the sound of its engine surround me with the heavy bass and surroundsound was just incredible-I literally felt like it was flying over my head!

I know that tickets for IMAX cost around $5 more than the regular theater tickets (and even more if they're in 3-D), but in my opinion the experience is worth the extra few dollars!

at any rate, if there is an opportunity for Star Wars to be put in IMAX, I doubt they would pass up the opportunity to capitalize on that option...

El_Machete12 likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Weren't II and III in IMAX?

8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think they were converted to, but not shot in, IMAX.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well it's just a rumor at this point since they haven't even started to film.

10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    IMAX can be very misleading... you can claim IMAX many times when its not true IMAX, plus things can be shot in lower quality then 'upconverted to IMAX' and lose lots of quality doing so. So it being a big deal (actually in terms of better visuals) depends if you're seeing true IMAX or not, and if it was shot in IMAX or not.

I've been in IMAX theaters that blew my mind at the quality of the film, and fake IMAX theaters that I felt where lower quality than a cheap digital theater. As to profit being a big deal, well obiviously any movie showing in more theaters than other movies and having an excuse to charge more per ticket really does matter in terms of profitability being a big deal.

11. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    Back when the Prequels were made, it was not possible to do a full-length movie in the IMAX format as the film platter could not hold that length of film. They did a special, shorter, version of Episode II on IMAX (and it's the best version: NO Sound of Music or fireplace scenes), but they did not do a version of Episode III on IMAX.

This is what was cut from the IMAX Episode II:
    http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/imax-cuts-the-original-ending-sequence/

• Original meeting with Palpatine right after the assassination attempt
    • Meeting Jar-Jar at the elevator
    • Small cuts right before Coruscant chase
    • Anakin levitating the orb and some dialogue in Amidala’s chamber
    • Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda discussing Anakin
    • Padmé saying goodbye to her handmaiden
    • Library Scene
    • Padmé and Anakin meeting with Queen on Naboo
    • The Meadow scene (entire thing)
    • Part of fireplace scene (quick and painless)
    • Boba turning Slave 1 to fire at Obi-Wan
    • Meeting Owen, Beru and Cliegg
    • Part of meeting with Dooku and Obi-Wan
    • Any discussion after Obi-Wan’s transmission and attack (scenes with Bail Organa)
    • Small cuts in the droid factory scene

12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Never saw the AOTC IMAX cut. Would love to. Would be a fun Blu-Ray/ DVD extra one day maybe.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah so IMAX improved AOTC!

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Ah, that's what it was. Not cropped images, but 'cropped' scenes due to time constraints. So, this is no longer an issue with IMAX, then?

edit: Something else I guess I'm not getting: if only parts of the film are captured using IMAX cameras, does this mean that only some scenes of the film would have the benefits DARTH_BELO describes?

15. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    IMAX projectors are digital now, so it hasn't been an issue for a few years.

And yea, only the scenes shot with IMAX cameras would benefit from the higher-resolution and picture quality the format allows.

Trebor Sabreon and DARTH_BELO like this.
  16. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Right on.

You know...if you're wanting to get a VERY good example of the difference between using an IMAX camera and regular camera, then I highly recommend watching either the dark Knight Blu-ray or (even better) the dark Knight rises Blu-ray! Not only are those in my opinion some of the best examples of how great Blu-ray can look, but the aspect ratio switches back-and-forth in those films based on what point in the film IMAX cameras were used. it's mostly for action scenery and wide shots, but still that would very much be the best example to see the difference between IMAX and standard formatting...

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    IMAX!? You know what else was in IMAX!? STAR TREK.

LENS FLARES!!!1111 Star Wars is ruined!
    [​IMG]

18. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I can't wait to see space battles shot on IMAX :p

19. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    ManaByte
    DARTH_BELO

Thanks, guys. You've been very helpful.

I guess my only other question would be, if these benefits to the image are so pronounced, then why not simply film the entire motion picture with IMAX cameras? Would there be some downside?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  20. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    The Imax cameras weight 5, 6 times more than the normal 35mm camera and they produce a lot of noise when they're recording, so it's hard to shoot dialogue scenes with it. That's why the IMAX shots in movies like the Dark Knight (and Rises) and Star Trek Into Darkness, where mostly the action scenes or wide shots

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I see. Thank you, vin. It's nice to be able to turn to fellow members for help with things like this. :)

DARTH_BELO and vinsanity like this.
  22. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    Not a problem, happy to help. ;)

The Dark Knight (was the first motion picture to use IMAX cameras) extras has little nice video that show how they shoot with IMAX cameras

23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    No probs!

I can't wait to hear your reaction after the first time you see a movie in IMAX...I was blown away! [face_hypnotized]

24. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    I saw Wizard of Oz in IMAX 3D on Saturday (it's only out for a week) on a REAL IMAX (86' screen) and it was amazing.

Beware of Fake IMAX. Those are screens that were retrofitted into normal theaters and are only about half as big as a REAL IMAX screen. They charge the same, but it's not the same experience.

Ryus likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've never seen an actual film in IMAX sadly. Maybe I'll remedy that with the ST!