main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL New Indy 4 trailer

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthAstuart, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Premiered this morning on Good Morning America, and now of course it's online:

Youtubeage

I know I've whined a lot about this flick, but it's a pretty decent trailer. Too much CG, of course, but some good one-liners and I bet Bosh will cover his computer with joy when he sees that hat shot with the start of the march in the background.

Lucasfilm should stop making movies and just make trailers.

2. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    A trailer should make me want to see the new movie, not just renew nostalgia for the old one(s).

3. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, stop. Like you weren't panting as a dog would over the Episode I trailer. That thing is nostalgia in a can.

4. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The difference is that the EpI teaser didn't spend nearly half its running time showing me clips of Episodes IV-VI. Instead I saw lots of images that made me excited to learn more about the new movie (ok, so maybe that part didn't work out so well...) But besides a nice iconic "hat shot" and an always smokin' Cate Blanchett, what is the IndyIV trailer promising: CGI whips? Shia LaBoof? No Thanks, especially not together. It's one thing to invoke (evoke?) nostalgia; it's another thing to ride it like a mechanical bull.

To be fair, all this has almost nothing to do with the movie itself. People who cut trailers (usually marketing staff) are famous for reworking a two hour movie into two minutes of lowest common denominator. The film and trailer are allowed to have nothing to do with each other, provided the trailer will get people into the theater. Explosions? Check. Wisecracks? Check. Young star? Check.

Take another look at the "you're a teacher?" bit. Never mind the obvious edit in between "a" and "teacher"; the real gimmick here is that Jones' response in the trailer very likely comes before LaDoosh's question in the movie itself. trailer editors are the Josef Mengeles of the film business.

-----

I know almost nothing about this film, and that's the way I hope to keep it for several more months. I really hope it turns out great, but even half as good as its predecessors will still make for a pretty good flick. The only thing that concerns me is the shot where Jones falls through the windshield and says something smartass before elbowing a bad guy. Would any of these guys given Jones time for a witticism? No, they came down on him hard, and Jones wisely left the banter for later, when it was way more useful:

[image=http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/raiders_of_the_lost_ark/karen_allen/raiders1.jpg]

-Le Penguin
    "Yes. I steal dogs."

5. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    This is relevant to my interests.

I'll have a screaming baby at home though so I doubt I'll see it till it hits DVD.

6. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Why let that stop you? Crowded theaters are the second-best place in the world for screaming babies.

-Le Penguin
    (airplanes, in case you were wondering)

7. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    When you're right...you're right.

8. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Computer covered.

Speaking of dropping a bag....Goat, you guys are going to have a baby before mid-May?

D'

9. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    April 11tyh is the tentative release date.

10. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm excited now. But then again, I'm a sucker for triumphalist statements like "He triumphed over the armies of evil."

edit: /heres why this movie will be good: Steven Spielberg doesn't put his name of ****. He just doesn't do it.

11. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    "The Lost World"

12. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Amistad, Empire of the Sun and WotW were not "Great" works of cinema by any means, despite several cool shots and a few interesting characters.

I do like the fact that he's boycotting the Darfur Olympics.

D'

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    A.I.

14. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    O NO U DINNT!

15. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    The Flintstones (executive producer)

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I don't know that it's fair to slam someone for being an Executive Producer on something. Even for a horribly bad and insulting movie it could be a very smart business decision.

I'll agree with the A.I. critique half-way...and the half that I think was bad is probably in fact due to Spielberg, though I guess we'll never know. Speaking of which, I'll say that several of Kubrick's overrated (IMHO) films were great cinema but poor entertainers. I'll cite 2001:ASO as an example. It can certainly be argued to be a momentous film...but also one that I probably will never watch again in its entirety for as long as I live from lack of want.

The best parts of A.I. though, were probably Kubrick.

D'
    Edit: fare?

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Yeah I agree. Vin Diesel exec'd Hitman and it was awesome. Ok it was pretty much what you paid for, blow stuff up, bald guy, some boobs, etc. It did deliver on that promise though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.