main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics New Interview with Tom Veitch Dark Empire Author

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Aug 26, 2016.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    New interview with Tom Veitch. He's very honest. He talks about the heated disagreements with Tim Zahn, with him not thinking Heir was very cinematic while Zahn disagreed with bringing Palpatine back.

He's also refreshingly honest in his views on The Force Awakens.

The only thing I'm a bit fuzzy on is Lucas liking his book then killing the project because of no contract. It was Lucas company, what he says goes, or it did. Why didn't he simply have a contract drawn up, if he likes it that much ?

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/08/interview-with-dark-empire-writer-tom.html?m=1

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Lots of good behind the scenes info.

I noticed this:
    Never really thought about it, but good to know.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm. I didn't remember hearing this whole version of the story before. What a mess.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

That for me was the strangest part. If Lucas approved it, why didn't he just get a contract drawn up :confused:

5. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    So when are we getting Lightsider, anyways? Still patiently waiting...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We're not. Ever. It's dead, Dave.

Back to the main topic - the way Veitch sums up his engagement with Zahn and their influence on each other's stories comes across surprisingly positive. Critical yes, but it doesn't sound as adversarial as I might have expected.

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Excellent interview.
    That's a pretty surprising side note, and I find myself wondering when he decided this because both times we see Force Storms in DE, there's every reason to believe that Palpatine created them himself with no obvious "struggle" going on at the time (and seems to be fully in control of them, at least until the very end of DE #6 anyway). And from the text pages:

Darth Caliban, Vthuil and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Totally no insider knowledge here, but it would not be surprising if some folks reason that with the True EU having (for now) stopped, they may as well release some canceled stories...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    True, but SheaHublin and others still holding out hope for Lightsider might want to keep their eyes open for whatever upcoming book Veitch mentions here:
    This new book, which sounds like it might be some sort of autobiography or memoir, will probably offer as much as we're ever going to get on Lightsider and the ideas that got scrapped when DE3 was cancelled. Might be pretty interesting. Anyone else know anything about this?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Lucas himself brought the Sheev clones in instead of an objectively better option? Why am I not surprised...

Still gonna use him as a defense against Disney though. :p

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Another interesting fact, generally unknown by the fans, is that Tim was asked to critique the DARK EMPIRE plot and I was asked to critique his book. This led to a spirited exchange which someday may see print. Tim hated the idea of Emperor coming back (and probably wasn't aware that George Lucas had proposed the idea to us). As for me, I found his book curiously uncinematic. I felt (and still feel) that all Star Wars novels need to be highly visual and give you the impression you might be sitting in a theater. I told him Heir to the Empire didn't feel at all like watching a movie. Tim took that criticism to heart and his subsequent work was a definite improvement.
    I dunno, it's been 25 years, so it's different now but I doubt it was seen as that positive back then, or even by the Hand of Thrawn books (98), where some definite shots are taken. It would be interesting to see what this spirited exchange was.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, that's why I found it to be a critical exchange, he's not exactly saying: 'Tim Zahn? Oh, yeah, total bastard.' Hence my view.

Of course, this is the internet so let's crap-stir up some old and very turgid waters for - what benefit exactly?

Zahn's antics in VOTF are something else altogether and do come across as petty.

It'd be great to see Lightsider but it's over 20 years later. I'd agree whatever this book is could be an interesting read.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Interesting that they compare the Dark Side Elite to the Rebels Inquisitors. I recall reading that Veitch had ideas on the Great Jedi Purge that may have inspired Dark Empire II.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. You have to wonder why they compare Rebels' Inquisitors to the Dark Side Elite instead of... well, the Legends Inquisitors. :p

Daneira and darklordoftech like this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I recall that originally Veitch wanted to write about how Obi-Wan escaped from the Empire. Obi-Wan would start out among a group of survivors, but throughout the series they'd all be killed off except for Obi-Wan, who would then go to Tatooine to live in exile. I wouldn't be surprised if Vader would be part of a group of Sith Lords hunting down the Jedi, and at the end of the series only Vader would be alive.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Interesting interview, although I don't really know how Super 8 is evidence of Abrams having a "superior Star Wars story" in his mind.

This does reinforce my view that if Lucas had decided in the 90s to make the sequel trilogy rather than the prequels, we probably would have seen a lot of similarities to Dark Empire show up. Him liking Palpatine's resurrection is another thing that I always thought was suspiciously close to ROTS.

I do think it's funny that Lucas nixed the idea for the villain to be a guy wearing Vader's armor, since that was one of the ideas Abrams & Co had for Kylo Ren and the end result is still about as close to Vader as could be without exact duplication.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The part where he talked about the "galaxy gun" in TFA made me smile, because the entirety of TFA to me is "Like what Veitch did, only not as good".

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Interesting interview, nice to hear his thoughts about Dark Empire and TotJ, even years later (and with the old EU dead already). Some of it is probably polite PR speak, particularly the Zahn parts, and given how Palpatine coming back from the dead is a bit of a... contentious ideas. That doesn't excuse VotF's potshots (though I still like that book a lot), but it does kind of override RotJ's ending. On the other hand, Palpatine being tossed over a railing was kind of a silly way to go too.

Sad to hear about how many things were cancelled or never made because of business reasons, but that's typically how it goes.

fett 4 likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I wish they had made a novelization. I would have read that in a heartbeat.

20. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Because both groups consisted of hyped-up shmooks, that died like punks?

21. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Ah yes, the bi-annual "Dark Empire needs to be novelized!" is right on schedule, as is the standard response:

http://www.cse.usf.edu/~pnguyen7/tow.pdf

:)

22. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Good interview. It was especially interesting to learn that Lucasfilm originally asked Bantam to do a novelization of DE, but Bantam chose to produce a new story(HTTE) instead.

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The canon Inquisitors and the Dark Side Elite both seemed flawed and weak from day one, while EU inquisitors always sounded like a cross between Vader and Thrawn in every profile.

LelalMekha likes this.
  24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    That's only because Legends Inquisitors never went up against main characters in a cartoon.:p

And he compared them to the Dark Side Elite because he's interviewing Veitch who made them but did not make Legends Inquisitors. But Dark Side Elite are similar enough.

It's just a little ego stroking.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ah, that brings me back! :)

--Adm. Nick