main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW-JC UNIVERSE SCREEN SCAPE

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KorRunr, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KorRunr

KorRunr Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    NEW IDEA
    Have the JC forums set up graphically like NYSE.com when they display the stock room floor and where you can pick any item on the 'floor trading post' and review the stocks.
    Perhaps all the forums can be like the TRADING POSTS and on each side of the POST will be posted ideas and threads- click on a thread and normal discussion will take place.

THE JC FORUMS needs a modern - interface look to it. Make the FLOOR the planets of the star wars universe and on each planet will be typical discussions. Moderators will control planets and interactions between planets.
    It is a thought.
    Have fun.

See last post. Locking. :)

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not quite certain what you mean, but I think it would require much more then we have.

3. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    ...the hell...?

4. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I agree with good ol' Jedi_Nailbiter on this issue.

5. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

6. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Most likely the HTML around the boards itself could be changed, and it could look different. IGN looks totally different from the JC. There could always be more modernized looks than the banners and sidebars, and I know for a fact that the HTML outside of the boards (ie, the tables that house the board code) can be changed -- look at the sidebar. It once said "Yarael Poof lives!" and it also has said "Yarael Poof thanks jedi-mind-trick" and FanForce boards sometime have them named as their city... but I doubt the administration would be open to a new look unless it was fully proposed and showcased, and then we'd have the whole thing with members accepting a new look, too..

The coding around the JC boards probably won't be changed unless the main site on TF.N is ever changed to a new layout, though.. since the boards match the main site really well.

--edit:
    And just for the heck of it, I figured I'd show off an idea I've had for a while to give my idea of what the author of this thread was trying to get to.
    New JC look idea. First off, beware of the popup ad. Secondly, remember I spent about 5 minutes making this and didn't spend the time on images. I'd also think it'd look nice to have corner images and a border image that rounds off around the tables, similar to IGN. And of course, edit the code for the newsletter to fit more streamline. I didn't mess with those at all. And of course, for the news bar up top, there'd need to be some scripting so that only the most recent ones are shown.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    KorRunr, perhaps you could help me understand your vision a little better. I'm not following you.

8. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]From what I can tell, it sound too confusing and sounds like a huge bandwidth hog. These forums are great because even those with SLOW Dial-up connecitons can access the JC with not much waiting around because of it's simplicity. and the JC has more features and whatnot than most Boards I've seen. I like it the way it is. [/color]

9. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I vaguely have an idea about what you're suggesting, KorRunr, but IMHO it is rather unnecessary because the main function of the JC is as an internet message board. It does not particularly need a very stylish interface like most websites, as its main contents lie in the discussions.

Also, as previously mentioned by merlin, it would probably take up quite a lot of downloading time for users with slow Internet connections.

I personally feel that the current JC look is classic, albeit conventional. It's simple and easy to navigate, and I don't think that the users here have any problems with the look.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    basically, it would be impossible. the main reason being that the company that owns this place went under a while back and their chief coder isn't makeing any new code unless the ign forums have a big call for it because they are paying snowboards, unlike us freeloaders. the other reason is that it sounds very confusing.

11. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

The current system works perfectly fine and is one of the most ergonomical board systems on the web. Again, I take on Truman's mantra.

And surely a member who has only very, very recently joined as did KorRunr would have to spend a good deal of time on the boards to see for themselves whether or not the current system works.

Or maybe they are a sock and it goes back to AL's first rule of the JC which states that only about 0.5 % of the demands placed on Communications is genuine. The rest, well,....

12. KorRunr

KorRunr Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    IT was just a thought. I agree with all the above reasons. But I was just looking at the BOARDS as a LARGER SYSTEM with more potential then possible single threads being woven with out a link to other threads. ie are the same thoughts being recored with out any 'NEW' ideas being cultivated. Related ideas in different discussions being linked and using the VISUAL graphics to show that.
    ANYWHO- Some day.
    Thanks again- That ends this THread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.