main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jedi Order hardbacks

Discussion in 'Literature' started by skatalite, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Does anyone know if every NJO book was printed in hardback? Just curious. I've seen a couple but that's about it.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Vector Prime, Balance Point for some reason, Star By Star, Destiny's Way and TUF.

3. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Only the five "main" titles - that's why Balance Point was, Ex, it was one of the "turning points" in the saga - got to be hardcovers. Originally the plan was for the paperbacks in between the five hardcovers to be filler material covering less important details - it didn't end up that way so much as them being important on their own and adding richly to the overall story.

Case in point: can anyone see Traitor as being less important in any way than any of the hardcovers in terms of how its events affected the rest of the NJO?

- Keralys

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I sure can. It's betrayal was so transparent and airly supported by Anor's complete approval of Jacen's abrupt acquiesce as to denude the title further of its leafy vintage. Strong cultural and action presentations aside, it's the writing that ultimately balances what face you countenance: you'll either accept the whaffling prose vagueness, or not. Pivotal in the series? Not at all. I would have specially trade paperbacked SBS's sequel at least, the one book in particular a SBS hardcover buyer would have wanted after such climatic events . . . assuming such a sequel was considerably different to Elaine's, of course. Traitor left too much hanging by the end, and the fact that Anor was forgiven after such a debacle only compounded the filler nature Traitor struggled to overthrow. It was a decent book all up, but not significant for hardcover. Which isn't to say it's sequel deserved such hardcovering; that was pure breeziness and through.

5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Ah, but Ex, even if you don't care for the writing style and so forth - the events of Traitor shaped the rest of the NJO, because they shaped Jacen and the actions Jacen took pretty much directly impacted everything that happened in the rest of the NJO - who lived, who died, what happened when and in what way. And all of that would have been drastically different had he not undergone what he did in Traitor.

It left a lot hanging at the end because it had to; that was unfortunately one of the constraints of the series. And you can hardly fault Stover for Nom Anor's continuing to survive, and really - how many times was he threatened with death only to find some way of reprieve? That incident was neither first nor last, and the flaw in the execution of how he was dealt with was Williams' not Stover's.

- Keralys

6. skatalite

Jun 8, 2005
    The Sci-Fi Book Club had some NJO hardbacks:

-Agents of Chaos dualogy
    -Dark Journey
    -Traitor
    -Dark Tide dualogy
    -Enemy Lines dualogy
    -Final Prophecy
    -Edge of Victory dualogy
    -Force Heretic trilogy

Those are A) hard to find, B) pricey and C) awesome as all get out. I've spotted the Agents of Chaos dualogy at a used book store in my town for $8, so I may pick it up. What do you suggest?

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I'm not faulting Matt. As I said, Traitor was more positive than negative. But leaving Anor hanging was an injustice to the book. He stuffed up, and stuffed down bad. But Destiny's Way would have you think it was fine and candy . . . and at that point in the series, Anor's failure was too consistent to leave unpunished disaster of such magnitude. He should have been showed fleeing for his life, or imprisoned for execution. DW could have taken things further or let him wormed his way back. But from a reader's pov, Anor was unpunished, and it looks like a gaping hole of yet more indifference. And that's not explaining why he was a stuttering goat when with Vergere, smooth as durasteel when apart from her.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Be warned that the SFBC editions are of a different dimension than standard hardcovers. Still handy to have- and I like having my signed Traitor hardcover ::)

They're pricey if acquired on ebay or what have you. Luckily, I chose most of them as my 7 free books when I signed up.

9. galor4

galor4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2005
    It is my understanding that the five hardcovers indicated the begining of each year of the war...

Vector Prime = Start of 25 ABY
    Balance Point = Start of 26 ABY
    Star by Star = Start of 27 ABY
    Destiny's Way = Start of 28 ABY
    The Unifying Force = Start of 29 ABY

10. skatalite

Jun 8, 2005
    Yeah, they are pricey and smaller, but I don't mind.

By the way, I just picked up: Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star by Star, Destiny's Way, Unifying Force and Agents of Chaos dualogy for $40 at a local used book store. All hardbacks, of course, and UF even has the CD in it, unopened.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

You are wrong, galore. Balance Point was 8 months after Prime, SBS in the second year . . . only at the end of it Solo says Ben's 4 months old. He could have lied to get to his hangared Falcon. DW in the 3rd year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.