main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jedi Order - Newbie views

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Carnage04, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I rather liked Rodan. He may have been vindictive and petty, but he made alot of sense and I felt myself agreeing with him when he and Luke argued in Destiny's Way. He's right for the wrong reasons.

2. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Like I said, I didn't really hate any character in the NJO but since I had to choose somebody, I chose Scaur, Rodan, Mezhan Kwaad and Jaina. It might have been better for me to leave those parts empty. I thought of choosing Fey'lya but he's a politician that we're supposed to hate and I've hated the guy ever since the Thrawn Trilogy really. He serves his purpose by being an infuriating politician, just like Rodan.

3. Assasin

Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 2005
    Mine, based on someone who has read all of NJO and almost a 3rd of DN.

Fave cara - Jacen Solo (A LOT more open minded than the majority of the Jedi, and yet one of the few who still stands for the original Jedi values of justice)
    Least fave cara - Pwoe (evil, but evil in an annoying way, not a good way, most of the time he just provided a distraction from the Vong)

Favourite Vong - Onimi (THE ULTIMATE MASTERMIND!!!!!! ^_^[face_batting]
    Second favourite Vong - Nom Anor (classic alien version of Del Trotter :p)
    Least favourite Vong - Tsavong Lah (his fundamentalism was just annoying, although he DID have a few good tactics)

Fave non-Jedi - Um... Wedge? Dunno
    Least fave non-Jedi - Pwoe, as I said before. Although, reading DN, Cal Omas is definately sneaking up there...

Best book - Star by Star
    Worst book - probably Dark Journey

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Favourite character - Kyp Durron
    Least favourite - Pwoe (Sorry, he's just a tosser)

Favourite Vong - Hararr (Along with Kyp Durron, he was the best written in Dark Journey and his scenes in TFP and TUF were great)
    Least Favourite Vong - Tsavong Lah. (His strategies didn't match that of a military genius, basically just used overwhelming force)

Favourite non-Jedi - Borsk Fey'lya (well written and while not a hero, died a hero), Wedge, Pellaeon and Kre'fey (Sorry there is just so many)
    Least favourite non-Jedi - Viqi Shesh, Danni Quee

Favorite Jedi - As I've already said Kyp, I'll give this one to Ganner. Possibly the best of the new characters in the NJO and had the best death scene ever.
    Least Favorite Jedi - Daeshara'cor

Best book - Enemy Lines Series
    Worst book - Agents of Chaos 1

5. Assasin

Jun 24, 2005
    Fave Jedi - other than Jacen (who Ive mentioned) I have to agree with Kyptastic about Ganner.
    Least fave Jedi - Kyp, although he has definately risen in my estimation in the Dark Nest. In the Dark Nest, Corran.

6. Assasin

Jun 24, 2005
    Oh, and I know what Durronfan means about Jaina, I was hoping shed be dark for at least an entire book ¬_¬

7. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    Dark Journey had the potential to be a good book. They just should have made Jaina's spiral down the dark side the central plotline in it and they should have made it more dramatic. Remember what Anakin Skywalker did when his mommy died? I was hoping for something down the same lines. Instead Jaina wasn't given the spotlight and the story of Hapes was added on top of it. Plus Anakin's funeral was written really lazily IMO. He was one of the most popular EU characters and he was given a funeral that lasted I think 3 pages. ???? I was ready to read like 20 pages of people mourning and remembering Anakin as he was lit on fire. The only thing that keeps me from calling Dark Journey the worst NJO book was that it gave Kyp the opportunity to be the good guy for once and he was given an important role in the novel's plot.

8. srd2k7

srd2k7 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    *Tag for later.*

9. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    Favourite character - Anakin Solo(see my user name :p )
    Least favourite - Nom Amor (I really hate him)

Favourite Vong - Tsavong Lah
    Least Favourite Vong - Omini (talk sence for once!)

Favourite non-Jedi - Jag Fel
    Least favourite non-Jedi - Viqi Shesh

Favorite Jedi - So I do not have to repeat myself it would be either Ganner or Tahiri, just couldn't pick one of them
    Least Favorite Jedi - Jacen

Best book - Edge of Victory
    Worst book - hero's Trial

10. DoranNu

DoranNu Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    Did you get to the end of The Unifying Force?

11. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    Yeah I also found Onimi's riddles somewhat irritating. Then again Onimi intended to irritate the Vong Elite below Shimrra. And even when he does speak without riddles to Jaina and Jacen, he still speaks kryptically and somewhat confusingly. I had to read Onimi's final words couple times over to get a good understaning of what he meant.

12. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    He didn't irritate Shimmra though because he was controlling him though.

13. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005
    DUDE, edit that spoiler Im not sure hes done with TUF yet!

14. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Bit late.

Edit: Anyway, in this thread he say's he's finshed reading TUF

15. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005
    well nvm then

16. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

It's done. All finished. I have to take some time to let TUF sink in....it's interesting and confusing. For the Series though, I will give my favorites.

Favorite Jedi: Anakin Solo. The kid was fearless and did not swerve from the light. He knew what needed to be done and did it. From Encounter 1, when he had to leave Chewie behind to save others, he did it. When he had to bail out the fleet later in Vector Prime by melding with his siblings and take the Vong into Lando's folley, he did it. When the kids at the academy as well as Tahiri needed saving (Not to mention whatever Jedi he saved by preventing a demented Vong/Dark Jedi Rinna from being unleashed on the Jedi) he did it. When the Jedi encountered the Dark Jedi on Myyrkr, he kept the Jedi from executing them (Although they betrayed him eventually.) When he had to punch a hole through the Vong to get the living Jedi out and the Voxyn illed, he did it. Too bad half the series was Anakin Free.

Honorable Mention: Vergere. Enigmatic from the beginning, I still am not sure what her motives TRULY were. I don't find it completely out of the question that she was somewhat insane from spending time with the Vong. She did save Mara Jade Skywalker from disease, she did save Jacen Solo on Coruscant and turned him into a better character than I thought he would be. She taught Cilghal better healing techniques. She also posed some interesting questions and provided a mysterious being for the first half of the series while creating a link to the Old Republic. Finally, she sabotaged the genocidal Alpha Red project and saved Jacen and the others on Ebaq.

Least Favorite Jedi: Jaina Solo. I regret to say that Jaina did in fact become simply the "Sword of the Jedi" and not much more. Her early level headedness gave me the impression that she would be one of my favorites, but she got dull, being only a glorified fighter pilot through most of the series. I did wish that "Dark Side Jaina" would have existed a tad longer. The granddaughter of Darth Vader shooting lightning at Kyp Durron: Cool. Relationship with Jagged Fel: Boring. "I hate my mom" angle: Uncool. She seemed to be heavily featured but personality was lacking.

Dishonorable Mention: Mara Jade Skywalker. Oh, my disease. NO! DON'T PITY ME. Oh, my baby. NO! DON'T TOUCH MY BABY. I wonder where my baby is. I wonder how my baby is doing. I know that facing a terminal illness and motherhood is bound to change a person, but Mara of The Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn was pretty darn cool. New Mara lost her edge. She did show some flashes of her old cunning on Duros, and taught Anakin well on Ithor, but more often than not when something had to do with Mara, it was dull. That and picturing anyone cuddling with Mark Hammill bugs me for some reason. I don't hate Mara like some do, I just didn't particularily like her in this series.

Favorite Yuuzhon Vong: Nom Anor. Hands down the most self serving and resourceful non-Super Sith character we have seen. Lying, Cheating, Manipulative and out for himself to the end. Every time he got the chance to be in a position to somewhat redeem himself and help the Alliance, I wanted him to but looking back am soooo glad he didn't. Great villian. He should have worshiped the "God of Cats" because he had at least nine lives, this guy should have been dead long ago.

Honorable Mention: Tsavong Lah. He wasn't the top dog or the ultimate enemy, but he seemed to be the least duplicatus of the Vong. He did everything that he did because he believed it to be the RIGHT thing to do as pronounced by the gods. Going after the Jedi on Ebaq at all costs (Including the cost of his own life) may appear foolish, but let's face it, eliminate the Jedi, win the war. He may have ended up dying himself on Ebaq yet, but he was on the Vergere (Ha Ha) of killing some major players. Rooting out those that were trying to kill him and unleashing the Rancor on them was just fabulous.

Least Favorite Vong: The "Vong Elite" that were created for Shmirra in The Final

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>New Aliens ...Barabels<<

Actually, Barabels aren't new- they've been around for quite some time- as early as Shadows of the Empire, if not earlier.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Unless they were in WEG or something, TTT was their first appearance.

19. Reecee

Reecee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    Yeah and don't worry Carnage, Saba is quickly becoming a major character in present stories. See: Dark Nest.

20. Assasin

Jun 24, 2005
    I think there was a Barabel bar brawler in Dark Force Rising, on Bothawui or somewere when Han and Luke were looking for proof that Ackbar was innocent. Im not sure why I remember it, it wasnt a particularly big storyline ¬_¬

Havac: WEG?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I remember Barabels being in a Zahn novel, but couldn't remember if it was TTT or SQ.

It's possible the Barabels originated in WEG, since Zahn did some work for them and tends to draw upon some of that material.

22. Assasin

Jun 24, 2005
    Repeat - WEG?

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    West End Games. The early RPG stuff.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, I thought you were questioning the WEG source itself, not the acronym. ::)

25. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    There was also a Barabel that Han got into a fight with in the Sabacc table in Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.