main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jedi order source

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Master_McKee, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_McKee

Master_McKee Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    have any questions on the New Jedi Order Era for RPG? Or any missions.

2. Ketalis

Ketalis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    Yeah where's Boba Fett??

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Dead.

Have you picked up the NJO Sourcebook?

4. Sian

Sian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    Its a great book, I only have one little thing that I need to have answered; Do the Yuuzhan Vong have any disadvantages at all? Surely, there's the Bafforr tree pollen which makes their armors heavy and the wearer immobile, but other than that? They have plasma eels that explode with the power of a thermal detonator, armors that are lighter and more efficient than other armors, and they have immunity to the Force and so on. What is the real disadvantage of the Yuuzhan Vong?

5. Ketalis

Jul 17, 2002
    No that's why I asked, but thanks for filling me in. How did the legendary bounty hunter meet his fate anyhow?

6. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Have you ever seen Return of the Jedi?

7. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Luke slashes Boba's jet pack with his lightsaber.

8. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    No, he did not. Luke cut Boba's gun, but it was Han that inadvertently ignited the jetpack.

9. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    *wipes his forehead* Pheu, maybe it was a long time ago since I saw it...

10. alienyouthct

alienyouthct Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Boba Fett is still alive, and will be returning later in the series. And right now, the primary disadvantages of the YV are mental, due to the loss of one of their greatest teachers and leaders at Borealis, and Jaina's recent actions that draw the link between her and Yun Harla. The thought that the Gods smile on the infidels as well... not a good thing.

11. Ketalis

Jul 17, 2002
    I'm sorry Fingorfin, I was assuming you were familiar with the EU. You see, Fett didn't die in RotJ, he later killed the Sarlacc and escaped with the help of Dengar. I thought you might have meant he died in a short story taking place in the NJO era that I haven't read. I hope this isn't too confusing to you.

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I am aware of that story; I just do not like it. And since I tend to pick which part of the EU I accept, I say he is dead. ;)

13. Maj-Odo_Taji

Maj-Odo_Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    Fingorfin,

To misquote The Animals, and later many many others, and their song "Wild Thing"....

"Fingorfin, I think I love you!"

I am considered by many to be a Star Wars purist, believing the only truth to be that of the One True Holy Trilogy, then of course it orphaned cousins the Prequel Trilogy. I do, however, like some aspects of the EU, but use it as flavor. Thos eparts I like mind you. ;)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

14. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Amen. EU is good for settings, but I do not worry about any continuity there.

I agree about the Holy Trilogy, but AOTC has turned me into a believer on the PT. Seeing the connections makes TPM fit into the story better. Before AOTC, it was so far removed from the Classics that it seemed out of place (artistic merits aside).

15. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    I am aware of that story; I just do not like it. And since I tend to pick which part of the EU I accept, I say he is dead.

That's not right. You either accept it or not. The entire NJO builds on the past stories. You can't have one without the other. If Dark Empire wasn't around, neither would Anakin Solo be born. And DE has Boba Fett alive, if I remember correctly. Just like how, without the Jedi Academy trilogy, not only would we have no background for Luke's public accension to Master, but the existance of trained Jedi in the New Republic. Also, without it, Kyp would have no Dark Side experience to speak of. You either take it all, or don't take it all.

16. Ketalis

Jul 17, 2002
    Well in a way I kind of agree with Fingorfin's philosophy. I for one hate Dark Empire, so I just tend to act as though the only thing that came out of it was Anakin Skywalker. After all, that's the only reference to it in all the other EU except for one minor mention of a false Palpatine clone in the Hand of Thrawn duology. Besides, do you actually want to believe that the Glove of Vader and Marvel crap happened?

17. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    alienyouthct,

With all due respect, that is a load of monkey crap. Take it or leave it? Please...

The EU is great for story ideas. Past that, m opinion is that the Expanded Universe can jump on this *points to his crotch*.

Want to know why I feel that way? I'll tell you all anyways: Lucas says it is bunk! He may give the nod to write and publish and make money off it, but he declares it as non-canon every time the issue is brought up to him. Period. And I am a Star Wars purist, as stated earlier.

As for Fett surviving the Sarlack Pit (sp?) that is crap, too, IMHO. If I had written all of or had even just had creative editing license over the EU novels, things like the Vong would never have appeared, or multiple Palpatines, etc... Just my opinion, but biotech-whatever-the-hell-they-are Vong just doesn't jive with my vision of the Star Wars Universe.

And what happens when something doesn't agree with my "GM Stomach" when I am running a game? I leave it the hell out of my game.

Sorry if this is aggressive and/or offensive, but I am a bit peeved on being told I have to take or leave the EU as a whole, no in-between. Sorry again just in case anyone is offended.

He who picks and chooses his EU materials,
    Maj-Odo Taji

18. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Then by your own definition of what's true and what's not, the whole RPG is bunk. Because it isn't in the movies. The movies don't cover missions of other people in the Rebellion, or what's going on in the hundreds of ships in the Empire's navy, or any of that. Technically, ALL Star Wars-based material that isn't the script from one of the movies, or personally written by George Lucas, is Expanded Universe. And don't reference your crotch around me, I'm tempted to take a hacksaw to it like the last guy who did that. *shudders* Yucky.

Anyways, back to the New Jedi Order. The Yuuzhan Vong armor. I know from Traitor that the animals are grown, but does it only take one crab to make a suit of armor? And how are the crabs shaped to match the warrior? Does the crab get imprinted on the warrior early in life, and grow to fit? Or does it get attached to the warrior when full grown, and shrink/grow to fit?

19. Ketalis

Jul 17, 2002
    They aren't actually "crabs", that's just a nickname the infidels gave them. They have been shaped (genetically engineered) to grow into a suit of armor. The details of Yuuzhan Vong armor sizes is unknown to me and to tell you the truth I don't really care.

20. Ketalis

Jul 17, 2002
    Maj-Odo_Taji I don't like the Emperor clone either, but what's wrong with the Vong and Boba Fett? The reason I don't like Dark Empire is that it's completely ridiculous: the New Republic addresses themselves as the Rebel Alliance, Wedge Antilles is some sort of ground based general now instead of a pilot, there are 3+ superweapons created with very little explanation, it is all colored in red, black, green, and white, luke turns to the dark side with very little prompting, and no one acts in character. I'm sure there's more, but as you can see I have my reasons. The other authors ignored DE too. Now I'd like to see why the Vong and Boba Fett don't fit into your visions of the Star Wars galaxy.

Oh and your crotch jumping comment... I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say.

21. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    They aren't actually "crabs", that's just a nickname the infidels gave them. They have been shaped (genetically engineered) to grow into a suit of armor. The details of Yuuzhan Vong armor sizes is unknown to me and to tell you the truth I don't really care

"They wear no armor; the only vonduun crabs within reach are the wild ones that infest the bog beyond the coraltree basal, coming out at night to feed on the polyps at the edges of the grove." - Traitor

Crabs they are, yes... And the only reason I need to know is for a fic. My main character is the daughter of Vader and one of Padme's handmaidens. She is going to take up dark armor and Force lightning under the tutoring of Vergere. Just need to know if the armor can be mentally sculpted, or if she has to construct it.

22. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    You do not have to discount the RPG if you do not accept all or even any of the EU. The RPG is a way to have fun and run stories in the Star Wars universe. Therefore it is possible to get ideas form anywhere and use them in your game. It is like fan fiction.

My main character is the daughter of Vader and one of Padme's handmaidens.
    I may not know everything about the EU, but I am pretty sure that this does not jive with established stories, so by your method for dealing with Star Wars stories, it should not be. So why do you question others who choose to accept some stories and not others?

23. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Because while we see only Luke and Leia, who's to say Anakin never fathered any other children between when he left Padme and when he became Vader? After Episode 3, I may need to revise things, but as of this point, I'm running with the excuse that AniVader came to brutalize Padme for "making him" fall in love (ever notice how none of the bad guys have girlfriends?), and mistakes one of her handmaidens for her. He rapes her, and leaves her for dead. Emphasis on leaves her. She survives, and a bastard Skywalker child is born. I'm an EU chick all the way. If there's a missing scene or blank to be filled in, I am so there. I just don't think you can pick and choose your EU.

24. Maj-Odo_Taji

Jun 18, 2002
    Hey, if having some child of Anikan/Vader and Padme/Handmaiden via a rape scenario works for you, enjoy. I see the RPG as a way to tell the sotries that weren't told int he movies. Are the RPG's canon, IMO? No, not even close to it. That is why I am one of the highest holders of the "Do What Suits You In Your Game" grail.

I don't like Fett surviving the Sarlack Pit, just doesn't jive with me at all. I don't like the Vong because of the same reason. Bio-mechanically-based races just doesn't suit my vision of the Star Wars universe. Hey, if you like it all, more power to you! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, though. And that includes taking some and not other parts of ideas and/or stories for use in my own games.

As for my crotch being referenced, it is mine and it will be referenced as I please. I will resist form addressing it, in all its wonderful glory, in the future if you in turn stop telling people what they can and cannot do in their games. Especially based off your own main character ideas.

He who laughs in the face of bunk hacksaw comments,
    Maj-Odo Taji

25. Sian

Jun 22, 2002
    Maj-Odo, I must agree with you on the Yuuzhan Vong. They are overexaggerated.

I mean, they have weapons that can deal as much damage as a blaster rifle, which doesn't use any ammo and also poisons their target. They have dovin basals that can work like magnets or black holes, and they implant things that makes them some sort of superlifeforms. Heh, all that remains is a large spacefaring reptile that has the power of a Death Star, and can destroy planets at will. I don't buy it. I can agree that they make very neat villains, but you'd better cut that super-bad guy type. It'd be better if they were cannon fodder, dying in masses and relying on their numbers, rather than being as dangerous as ten human soldiers each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.