main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton new jedi order

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by major_jedi_failure, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major_jedi_failure

major_jedi_failure Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    what does everyone here think of the njo series?

a lot of people i've met hate it, and yet are fans of the older novels.

personally, i think that njo rocks, and is in fact as good as if not better than the older novels (i absolutley HATED both barbara hambly novels as well as the crystal star).

what do YOU think? :confused:

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I do like them just not quite as much...

When I first started reading them, and learned that it was going to be a continuous story, I was pretty pumped...

But they seem to be dragging it on too much... yes it does cover some very important events, however every single book seems to leave too much stuff unresolved, because the author knows there will be another book right around the corner...

I liked the old books because they actually had "endings", and weren't just a prelude to another book...

And it drives me nuts that in some of the NJO, nothing seems to happen... they move from one event to the next, but the plot stays where it is...

I really enjoyed Star by Star for the most part, because there was alot of action, and alot actually happened, as compared to some of the others...

I dunno, overall I would definately have to give it a thumbs up, and encourage people to read it...

May the Force be with you all,

Indy

3. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    No books have come close to:
    The original Timothy Zahn trilogy
    and
    SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

my 2 cents

4. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I like the NJO books better than a lot of the older novels (we won't talk about Kevin J. Anderson) but I agree that nothing really comes close to the Zahn books. The series tends to drag a bit, but I'm still getting them as they come out and I'm not one to pay for crappy books. I like that the continuing series tends to allow for more of the characters that are usually forgotten about to get bigger parts. Of course I may not forgive them for Anakin :)

5. General_Tekno

General_Tekno Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    Don't ask my best friend, he is now trying to disprove the EU continuity wise, even though he is a StarWars fan.

6. DarthEdge

DarthEdge Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I stopped reading the books after #3. I don't like the thought of having to buy over 12 books for just one story.

I'm thinking of getting the Zahn Trilogy. Those are the Thrawn books right?

7. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    The Tim Zahn Trilogy is possibly the best one of them all... it was the first, and none have come along that are as good, except maybe the X-Wing series...

But you will NOT be disapointed with those books, they are AWESOME!!!!!

Indy

8. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    In regards to the New Jedi Order, I think that they are interesting books. I have read all of them, except the newest one, Rebel Stand. The first few books we okay, but they weren't overly exciting, and yes it is kind of annoying that the series keeps on going. But, I will highly recommend the newest books, "Star by Star", "Dark Journey" and "Rebel Dream" which seem to return to the original excitement and humour of the Timothy Zahn and X-Wing books. The trick is that you have to read the whole series to understand what is going on, but it is well worth the wait!

Happy reading!

9. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Has anyone read Traitor or Destiny's Way? And if so, has either one of them helped change any negative views about the New Jedi Order?

10. Jamaillia

Jamaillia Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    I have read all of the SW books and I love all of them. Yes the NJO can drag on, but it is continuing the story. As long as that happens, I will buy and read the books.

Jamaillia

11. Vua__Lah

Vua__Lah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I agree with Jamaillia. It keeps the story going and as long as it does that I'll plunk down the $$$. That being said however destiny's way changes thing up a bit and shifts NJO into high gear... anyone who hasn't DEFINETLEY needs to read it.
    Let's just say a lot of cool stuff happens in it. I don't wanna spoil it for anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.