main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New John Ostrander and Jan Duursema Series Speculation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Joser_Kyind, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    As many of you know, John Ostrander and Jan Duursema are working on a new series together. The details are being kept secret for now, to build up excitement. John has said that it will not be in the New Jedi Order Era, and has also said that he plans on including "the Hat" in some way or another.

What do you expect, or hope, to see in the new series?

2. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Legacy. It would be great to see the characters that we have been reading and obsessing over actually fleshed out. I love seeing if the artist's vision of what the character looks like and the vision that you have in your head are the same thing. I remeber reading the Shadows of the Empire comic for the first time and just being complety surprissed that Dash looked completely different than I imagined and the Guri was dead on accurate to what I felt.

Any way, I am hoping for Legacy and/or any sort of post ROTJ EU that has some pre-established characters.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Desperate Housedroids.

4. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    I wouldn't be at all surprised (or disapointed) if it was indeed a Legacy era series, and I think that would be cool because that's kind of what the NJO missed, the differant mediums working in the same time frame, I think after the success of the Clone Wars comics working with the novels a Legacy comic series would be cool.

I also think all the seeds of the Vos child being planted now could be the prolouge to the new series mainly concerning the kid and possible Quin & Kahleen (geuss we'll find out in a couple of months)

I'm putting my money on one of those two. Neither would disapoint me, and anything John & Jan do is almost certainly going to be awesome.

5. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    hahaha...

I would hope for a Legacy era comic, but since John hinted about the almighty hat its probably a purge story

Unless its K'Kruhk in the Legacy era! Talk about Freakin sweet!

6. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005

Nanna cheating on Threepio with the gardener (played with much gusto by Cheech Marin)

All told to the Whills by R2-D2 after his spectacular and shocking suicide?

I-5, an old by promiscuous droid with a freaking sweet Hat?

Find out this fall, on Faux

7. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    I've got three main hopes.

One is Legacy. They could focus on one of the not-so-main characters, like Corran or Kyle, or a completely new charcter. I think a great way to tie in the Hat to that would be if Luke set up some sort of Jedi museum on Ossus, and the Hat was one of the displays.

Purge stuff. I think a Purge story from John and Jan would be great. (not to be confused with John's Purge one-shot, which Jan isn't involved with. They would probably focus on Quin and Khaleen if this were the case. They could also highlight some other Order 66 survivors, or have Quin learn the Force ghost thing, and train his son (or daughter?) in the ways of the Force.

Third hope: Old Republic Era. I'm thinking of something maybe a thousand years post-KOTOR, with brand-new characters, maybe fixing some of KOTOR's mistakes.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Dark Horse has a KOTOR series in the works, don't they? Of course, you can expect a Dark Times series too, with the dark title in it just to smile me.

9. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, we already have an old republic series on its way, with a different initial writer and artist announced. That rules that out.

Legacy would be nice, but unlikely. My wild guess is that Dark Horse would let the novels test the waters first before seriously considering it.

With those two all-but-eliminated, I'm almost certain we'll get a Dark Times series. Firstly because after RotS, it would be insane not to explore this time period - chances are Dark Horse have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity for a while. Second, it's a logical progression for Ostrander and Dureesma. They have many original characters to play with, not the least being Quinlan. (Sure, he might die, but would they really do that if they had the chance to continue his story?)

And remember that old quote from someone In The Know about the two new Clone Wars villains? Apparently one was to die, and another was to change, and possibly move into the post-EpIII time period. (I can't remember who/where/when - does it ring a bell for anyone?) Vader hunting down Ventress would be deliciously ironic.

10. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    Yeah, they do have a KOTOR series coming, but it's mostly based on the game. I'm hoping for something more in the spirit of TOTJ.

11. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    There's nothing to stop them including TOTJ-style stories in that series, though. The game might be its biggest selling point, but once the series is established, they could certainly explore other story arcs...

On an unrelated note, I'm terrified that I essentially just posted exactly the same thing as Excellence.

12. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    From what's been released so far, the only things it has in common with the game is the title and the fact that the first issue is set on Taris.

13. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    Brian Ching on his blog said that it would be leaning more towards KOTOR in the design, and Randy Stradley has hinted at such things on the DH message boards. And, of course John and Jan aren't doing the series. I would very much like to see them specifically do an OR Era series even if it's just a four issue miniseries, it would be cool.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Many would kill to reach that Excellencement, HappyBob. Few have.

15. Pyroooo

Pyroooo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    Is the KOTOR series set before the KOTOR game then? cos Taris go boom

16. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    If I kill you, will I achieve that Excellencement? [face_skull]

Just kidding, I would never kill you if there was a chance of getting caught.

17. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I bet it's gonna be Dark Times. When this is over, like Republic was, they'll move on to Legacy that will have grown considerably as an Era by that time.

18. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm sure whatever they do, it'll make Republic suck by comparison. (Something only they could do.)

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>'m almost certain we'll get a Dark Times series. Firstly because after RotS, it would be insane not to explore this time period - chances are Dark Horse have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity for a while.<<

However there is the quote from Randy that the post-ROTS era may not be as wide-open as one might have initially believed, which I'd interpretate to say that they're gonna try to stay clear of the TV series.

20. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    There's also several novels slated for this time period, as well as the webstrip Evasive Action: Recruitment.

21. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Darn! I'd forgotten about the series! [face_plain] It might be tied to them, perhaps...

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't really care what comic it is, but it's going to be good.

23. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    The first issue, at least, is set before the Mandalorian Wars.

24. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Is the TV series really that much of a problem? We already know what happens during this era, up to a point: Palpatine rules with an iron fist, Vader kills Jedi, various groups of people rebel.

So long as it focusses on non-film characters, and steers clear of major events (say, Boba Fett and a 5-year-old Luke forming the Rebel Alliance), a Dark Times series wouldn't be in much danger of clashing.

Remember, this is nineteen years. There's plenty of room for the comics, books, games, TV series, erotic fan fiction, etc. to comfortably co-exist, even if they all want to kick off shortly after EpIII.
    Besides - who wouldn't want to see Vos facing off against legions of stormtroopers?

25. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    erotic fan fiction,

Eeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.