main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New John Ostrander and Jan Duursema Series Speculation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Joser_Kyind, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    I agree that the TV series wouldn't hinder a comic series, but I think that it is wise to at least wait a little while, to see where the series is going, so that you know what you can and can't do in the comics. I think we all saw how poor communication between Tartokovsky and DH (oh, yeah, and Del Ray, and every other producer of Clone Wars fiction) screwed with continuity. I don't want to see that happen again

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they probbaly want to avoid duplicating events ie: having two different explainations as to why the Death Star was sabotaged, etc.

3. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Exactly. So, what are you hoping for from the new series, 2ndQuest. btw, congratulations on winning the what's the story contest for the UT-AT.

4. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    As I said, though, that's hardly a problem if they focus on smaller, character-driven stories. Republic did that just fine.

The Clone Wars had plenty of scope for multiple stories. So does the post-EpIII period. All a comic series needs to do is steer clear of movie-related events and characters. (Vader is probably safe, though. If the TV show contradicts any comic appearances by placing him on a specific year-long quest... hey, we can always pretend it was a Kyle Katarn-style force spectre, or a cloned Jango Fett in disguise.)

Incidentally, am I the only one who is actually impressed with the way Lucas Licensing handled the non-cartoon Clone Wars literature?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>congratulations on winning the what's the story contest for the UT-AT.<<

thanks

>>So, what are you hoping for from the new series, 2ndQuest.<<

Well, I have high confidence in John and Jan to deliver us a great series regardless of when it's set or who it focuses on. And I think at this point it's too hard to say what I hope for beyond that- there's the possibility of it being Quin's child as the star if set in the Legacy era, or a more direct epilogue series to their current body of work if it's set durong the Dark times. Or it could be something else entirely, so who knows?

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There are some who do . . . [face_whistling]

7. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Excellence, why must you toy with our emotions

-The Rebel Gungan

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Because the cues are all over the place . . .

Why would the Vong turn up in Rogue Planet? They and it had to figure in a full circle sort of way eventually. Why would the Geroon be aboard the expedition ship, when they contributed absolutely nothing? It's obvious they're not just going to be there without reeason. Because TG's diary was Denning's, I think it will feature in Dark Nest rather than Outbound; both is even possible.

So we have this hidden Sith island in the Unknown Regions after The Sith Lords. We have Katarn's utterly offhand reference of a rumoured island in the outland regions of the galaxy. Same place, just another name.

Only one series can show it, KOTOR or Legacy. The cues are littered all over the place . . . [:D]

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'd liek to see an NJO/Legacy era series about Quinlan Jr.

10. Hyperion51

Hyperion51 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    I'd like to see one of two things.

1) A post Ep-III story involving a Jedi, preferably one that has been mentioned or seen, if not delved into much, that survived, and how he/she/it handles the situation, and what becomes of the Jedi. Would the Jedi get killed. Would he/she/it die of old age or something. Or would the Jedi manage to survive and decide to simply faid into obscurity.

2) Another Clone Wars book, or series of books like Medstar Duology. Despite 7 books set between AOTC and ROTS being written, and one more set to come out next year, as well as various comics and the cartoon show, I think that there is still potential to successfully write at least a couple more stories based on the Clone Wars. Now that ROTS is out and we know how it all ends, it might be easier for some authors to develop a good story now that they know what would happen eventually.

A book starring Shaak Ti, or at least with her in it would be nice. Perhaps a book with Quinlan Vos and/or Aayla Secura, at least as good supporting characters, would be nice as well.

11. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    They better come up with a damn good reason why Quinlan Jr. survived the purge and hasn't surfaced until LOTF if they use him. But given John and Jan's previous work I could believe it.

-The Rebel Gungan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.