main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon New Leadership. Is it time?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crashdown, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colt1326

Colt1326 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    Indeed. But to be honest, it's really up to the board if they want me CR or not. So you guys decide.

2. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Kinda new to everything.

If you are really gung-ho about it I would think you would make a good assistant or events coordinator.

Then again maybe new is what the fan force here needs.

3. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Well, I am not new to Star wars, just to the board :p

4. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Another job of the CR (in my opinion) should be to tell theForce.net's Fanforce news staff of any events that we have going on. That way we can potentially get new enthusiastic members showing up to events and joining the boards... ;)

-Kyle

5. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
  6. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    My head is really tired right now and i'm just rambling with no motivation to organize all of this. So bare with me and don't judge my grammar or structure. =P

With no zeal there is no life. SW will always be around. But what it used to feel like to be a fan has died. I can go back to that feeling and that excitement as if it were just yesterday... it's something I don't have anymore. Oh it used to feel so grand to be a SW fan! As if the force were in you as the story and characters romanced our imaginations!
    I think, at least for me, it was the idea of having a whole galaxy to play with. I jumped into the SW Galaxy and became Larena Jade. It's the excitement of "playing pretend" like a child. It's much like Peter Pan in The Hook. He forgot how to use his imagination. And I think the moment I stepped out of being a true fan and told myself I would just like SW from the outside is when I slowly lost it. I don't have the ability to jump back in and feel the way I used to. I've grown old. Sure I can imagine things and write stories and such. But it's not alive within me. I am not Larena Jade anymore when I visit the boards, that is who I used to be in a galaxy far far away.
    The Star Wars Ancients were the true fans. Nowadays we are a bunch of posers who like ELEMENTS of SW, thus drawing us to certain SW activities as a side hobby.

I think it's going to be hard to find another CR with that said. =P
    Unless someone is willing to step up of course.

7. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Hmm... then that is what is needed. Excitement, something to draw that feeling back to everyone. Something that will get the heart pumping and to light yours and everyones else imagination. The difficult I can do, the impossible might take me a few days. With that said, I am willing to step up as CR and help make changes to the OFF. The way it should be.

8. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Colt, I for one am willing to give you a chance, or at least keep you in the running in my mind. I do not doubt that you have the ability and energy to do the job, at least for a while. My only reluctance is your history with the boards. I have been posting on the boards since 2003, which by some measurements is not a long time, but it is long enough for me to see trends. You see, people come and go from the boards. They start out really active and motivated, then vanish without trace. And if we are lucky they come back a year or two later. Even people who consistently post, have slow times where they may not posts much for months, then are active again...that was me for the first couple of years. And although you are motivated and active now, this can change in a month or two. That's just life, things come up and the boards become lower on your priority. And although I don't know you well, I do know myself, and trying to predict my future interests and time requirements is almost impossible.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Oregon Fanforce is an odd creature. First, its members are spread throughout the entire state. And therefore organizing meetings outside of Portland, where there is a large number of members, is hard. Also, the OFF is by nature more of a place to chat than to organize, this I have leaned from my year plus trying to be an organizer of the OFF. And this is not bad, it's just the way things are. Any future CR should act less as a leader and more like a motivater.

In truth, being a CR is not that hard, but you do have to be consistent. And because of my home life, I could not longer be consistent, so I felt that I should no longer be CR. The OFF needs a consistent motivator, but not one that is pushy. The future CR almost needs to act in the background, letting the members do most of the work, with the CR just suggesting ideas here and there, and giving a little shove when needed. The Oregon Fanforce is not something that can be lead well. I sometimes got the feeling that the very act of having a CR tended to stifle discussion. People sometimes discuss less then they think the discussion is somehow organized, or when they think that there is some kind of ?leader? running the discussion.

Although, I think you may have the ability to be a good leader, the OFF really needs the ?right? leader for us. And I think that if we can?t find the ?right? leader, the OFF may be better without a leader at all. This is one reason why I stepped down, I could no longer be the ?right? leader, and just staying on as CR just so the OFF had a CR was not good for the OFF.

9. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Might as well bring it to a vote.

I mean hey he may bring things together.

If not we can have no leader or someone else can give it a try.

10. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Very well..............we will have an election.

We know that Colt is interested in the Job. Is There Anyone Else? Lets have names. If you are interested, you can either post your interest here or PM me. In a couple of weeks, I will post a poll with the names of the members who are interested (whether that be one or more members), plus a "We Don't Need No Dang Leader At This Time" option.

The only thing we need to decide now is how long the election process will be (how long for the poll?). Christmas and New Years is coming, and there may be a lot of members not following the forum, so we may want to continue the poll sometime past the new year......but it will be up to you.

Regarding the "We Don't Need No Dang Leader At This Time" option......should we even have this option? And if we do, before selecting this option remember that the OFF is an official forum of theforce.net, and it is generally recommended (possibly required) that we have a CR (although we have gone without a CR for long periods at a time in the past).

If you want to be CR you should commit to the Job for at least one year. After a year I think we should either reaffirm the current CR or have another election.

11. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Yes keep the option open. A quiet boards, like this one tends to get from time to time, doesn't necessarily need a full-time leader. Just something to consider.

- Bill

12. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    how bout a 6 month commitment and that one is renewed by status. A year is a long time for the boards, lol.

and how bout we do a name poll at the end of 10 days. 2 weeks seems like a long time. But i get what your going for. So maybe more than a week and less than 2 is good.

13. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    The only reason I said 2 weeks is because it's the holidays and some members may not be checking the forum that often these days. There may be members interested in running, but may be out of town, etc.

But I will agree with 10 days, but I will retain the right to procrastinate for a few more days or so after that before posting the poll. ;)

14. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    If someone does not login for 2 weeks they probably wouldn't make a good CR.

I think we should have a CR. We need someone who can speak for our group (if it ever needs to happen).

Maybe people should nominate people who they think would make a good CR.

15. Colt1326

Nov 3, 2007
    Again.. sorry I haven't posted... my internet is still not up and running. should be by monday or tuesday though.

16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I think Star Wars is just as exciting and alive as ever, but there is a bit of a lull between the end of the theatrical film cycle and the beginning of Star Wars' life on television, beginning at the end of next year as I understand with the CG animated series. Then eventually the live-action series will provide more excitement for sure. With Master Replicas losing their license for Star Wars collectibles, that has kind of killed my interest in Star Wars collecting for the time being. I have stuff on order from them through the end of this year but after that I'll let the wallet take a break for a while and see what happens next for the master prop license. Lucasfilm will find another company I am sure of that.

Star Wars is still the #2 best-selling toy for boys this year, which is pretty respectable, although I wish it were #1, haha. I think the future holds a lot of exciting developments for the Star Wars films, especially once we eventually get 3-D re-releases of all of the films. From my perspective it's better that will take a bit longer than anticipated because that means once it happens, the films will make a lot more money (thanks to ticket price inflation) and that gives us the best chance to unseat Titanic with TPM or ANH. It's an outside shot, but I'll take it, and plus it will give the other films more chance to climb the ladder. It's getting to the point where they all need an extra $50 million at least to protect their rightful rankings ;)

17. Arminca

Arminca Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2006
    A CR should not only have good leadership qualities but also SW spirit and enthusiasm. [face_dancing]

18. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    Very true Arminca!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.