main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Leadership

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xavior, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, Zahn didn't have to worry about anything except the movies and Lucas.

What was done at the time was that Zahn was referred to the Star Wars RPG, which had built up quite a bit of details about the OT era. WEG and Bantam (and DHC) created an informal relationship between the licensees that formed the basis of the Holocron and modern SW canon itself. Only within the last year or so has WOTC been in a similar role with the novel and comic book lines.

2. Monosyllabic

Monosyllabic Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2007
    Well DR took over and started the NJO. But yeah it's gotten crazy stale. I can't believe we're doing two major series in a row with Sith as the antagonists. And what's the pay-off in the end? More Sith (Legacy comics). Talk about repetitive. I don't care if the characters are different it's the same thing. I think that's what I loved so much about Traviss' books. At least she had the courage to explore a non-Force user aspect of Star Wars and develop it.

3. FireJade

FireJade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Can we really call all of these Sith the same thing? Jacen/Lumiya as Sith, the Lost Tribe as Sith, and Krayt's One Sith are all very different. With the Lost Tribe, for instance, what if they were always called the Lost Tribe and never "Sith"? I think part of the reason why they seem to be repetitions on the same theme is simply nomenclature. LotF had many purposely drawn parallels to the PT, but it'd be much more difficult to call FotJ and Legacy rehashes of LotF.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Can we limit all Del Rey/Bantam complaints to one thread? Please?

I LIKE how FATE OF THE JEDI is turning out.

5. Solidarity

Solidarity Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2009
    the 9-book-arc so laughably watered down and diminished the fall and demise of Jacen Solo (which while reasonably well effected was a nonsense idea) that I'm not buying into FotJ. Books 1, 5 and 9 were okay - but the rest was just pus-coloured filler where nothing meaningful happened, just a lot of coffee-drinking and wringing of hands. Action sequences - there were spots of good action - are meaningless without consequences! Like the Jedi strike team, Katarn, etc, who ALL survived Caedus - why? Can't Katarn, the pixlated munchkin just die? Not to mention the climactic fights which had to be reined in each book so they could have another book. The rise of a Sith Lord should have been accompanied by a thunder of Jedi bodies. If not - why bother?

On top of that there's this whole "all this is happening only 40 years after Endor" or whatever. For crying out loud... Anakin brought balance to the force for what, 40 years before the Sith come back? They wait 1000 for Palpatine; the old Republic lasts 20,000 years; the NR is really a continuation of the Galactic Civil War, and the NJO should have been a good end to all the existing characters arcs. It is okay to skip ahead a century or so before the next major war. Oh, and the Legacy comics should have been at least a millennia later.

The problem with the current stories is they want to stick like glue to the film characters and their offspring so we can share every family dinner and spat they have. The Luke/Legacy/Fate/Whatever era is tapped out and should be put down. I don't care how Luke dies, or Han or anyone - very likely of old age so just leave their stories be.I don't know if Ms Shapiro and Ms Rostoni personally love the excruciating extraction of our dollars for pennys on the page... (And I'm speaking as someone who thought, given the logistics, the NJO was a fantastic success). But it will take a radical change of direction, it seems, for Del Rey to tell another story with vision and scope.

Actually, I expect The Old Republic Game (which no doubt ties in to DR's unannounced secret titles) will at least launch another era of stories.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Palpatine's spirit survived ROTJ.

Also, Darth Krayt and Lumiya and the Lost Tribe were around during the OT.

Balance to the Force obviously doesn't mean no more Sith. I think all these Sith popping up is PART of the balancing of the Force. Vader redeemed himself, so now the Force is working towards restoring balance by uprooting all these Sith faction "weeds" throughout the galaxy, to be sent to the gardener for judgement... Luke Skywalker.

Balance to the Force doesn't mean no more Sith, it means no more Sith go unchecked to become cancers on the entire Force. Balancing is a continual, eternal process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.