main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN New life in Nashville area?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lord_Kosh, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Lord_Kosh

Lord_Kosh Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2005
    So, with a new movie almost out, and probably new Star Wars movies coming out every year for the next four or five years in some form or another...not to mention Rebels cartoon, is there anyone still hanging around in Nashville, TN area? While there are certainly other groups that are alive and well (mostly) in the Nashville area, I was curious if there were any other still on here. Costuming is nice, but there are other interests...that still center around Star Wars.

If so, "check in" by posting here (or starting a new thread with a new topic) and lets see if we can bring new life and conversations back to the boards. My focus is on Nashville (and surrounding counties) for various events and get-togethers... as well as fun discussions about Star Wars canon and legends topics. However, we could also say Middle TN... or even all of TN to avoid leaving someone out. Any "com-chatter"?

2. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    Does CPR (or an AED) work on a forum? :)

3. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    Everyone seen Rogue One yet? Any fun thoughts (potential SPOILERS) on it?

4. wookieebusiness

wookieebusiness Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    What is the situation with Nashville area SW groups? I have visited the Mid-South Garrison homepage and it seems barely updated and it doesn't look like there is much activity. I didn't find any mention of Celebration at all on there. Did no one from the garrison attend? Maybe all the activity has switched to Facebook, so I won't see it because I don't use Facebook, but based on these forums and the 501st page, it doesn't seem like the Nashville area has a very active fan community. I'm probably wrong, and if I am, please point me in the right direction. I'd like to see what's out there.

5. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    Welcome! :)

I don't think the 501st MSG homepage gets updated very often... but we do a fair amount of events. There is a lot planned already for the summer. Hopefully, Episode VIII will also kick off more events for the movie release, too. We cover TN and KY, so the events are in separate areas within the forum based on areas/squads to help people focus on preferred areas if they want to.

Nashville area is the Music City Squad, but there are other activities . Event planning is still done on the forum (which I think you have to be a member/recruit to see), though there is a lot of side "traffic" on Facebook. All official planning should stay on the forum.

I think over half of the garrison was at Celebration...and there actually was a discussion area on the forum...though it was within the general discussion area... and Facebook. The 501st main site also had a discussion area for this in its forum.

If you are not already a member.recruit, you will have to register for the forum first. http://www.midsouthgarrison.com/forums/ You don't need to have the costume approved yet to be a recruit and we can guide you on that. Just let them know that you would like to meet up, and maybe join. You can come out as a handler or helper which will let you meet many in the group. That is how I got started.

Rebel legion is active too, though I admit that I don't know all their events. They will be at the Clarksville River and Spires Festival this weekend, and I'm sure they will have more coming soon.

Mandolorian Mercs also play well with us...and often troop the same events and/or conventions. They have events of there own, and focus on Mandolorians in general. Boba Fett and Jango Fett can go through 501st (and Sabine can probably go through RL), but the rest really aren't approved for 501st... So they have a home here. :)

Many of them are in 2 or three of the groups, so while not the busiest every weekend, those groups are active. If you have no interest in costuming and trooping events, that is where I feel that the gap is present. 501st and RL are focused almost completely on costuming...though they do have social events from time to time... such as build parties for costumes. The Fan Force Boards were a great place to arrange other activities that were not linked exclusively to costuming. This seems to have died out though. I would like to get it back...since I have more interests than just costuming. :)

I still use Facebook, but maybe only once a week...so I understand.

6. wookieebusiness

Mar 30, 2017
    Thanks for the info. I was just finding it difficult to track down Nashville area SW content. Currently I don't think I can afford a costume on the level of 501st, MM, or RL, but I might start saving toward it. I have a Rubies Chewbacca and I am 6'9", so I make a pretty good Wookiee and have been asked to a few events. I'm pretty sure that costume is not approved, but not sure. I think it's the best Chewie costume available on the regular market, though.

My son is a big Boba Fett fan, so we talked to the MM at SWCO about him joining the youth version to get him started, but we'll see.

Again, thanks for the info. I look forward to getting involved somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    You are welcomed to come out to any event as a helper or handler. 501st (and I think the RL) have youth organizations as well. We do have a Chewie, or RL does, but it never hurts to have a second. I don't think the Rubies would be approved as such for RL, but maybe. Also, you could probably get some good info on where to get or build your own...when/if you are ready.

However, you could meet many members of each group and probably form some pretty lasting friendships even if you never make a single costume. Not to mention any social activities planned. Long before I had a costume, I met the group and helped out where I could.

Also, perhaps with some regular activity on the FF Boards, we can draw more fans that have other interests as well...regardless of costuming. Costuming is great, but Star Wars has more components than just that. What did you think of Rogue One, and are you excited for The Last Jedi? I liked Rogue One better than The Force Awakens, but I have hopes that Episode 8 will be better.

8. wookieebusiness

Mar 30, 2017
    I looked around and found that the Rubie's suit is definitely not acceptable for official use. Making one of my own would be a massive undertaking that I'm not sure I'm mentally or financially ready for at this point. Maybe someday in the future.

9. wookieebusiness

Mar 30, 2017
    I actually really enjoyed both Rogue One and The Force Awakens.

The Force Awakens:

I understand the criticisms of TFA being a"rehashing" of ANH, but I think the reasons for this are sound. This was a reintroduction to a franchise that has been in a weird place as a result of the prequels, which many people felt were not enough like Star Wars. TFA gets flak for being too much like Star Wars, so I feel like there is no winning with fandoms, you know?

I found the characters to be appealing and the story was familiar enough that old fans could access it and it felt comfortable, while new fans had an easy entry point to the franchise. None of the similarities bothered me enough to say that I didn't like it. My least favorite plot point (along with many others) was Starkiller Base, but even that I felt made decent sense. Human nature is to keep trying something if you think it is a good idea, and clearly the Empire/First Order believes a planet killer to be a good idea. We exist in such a cyclical nature of being that it makes sense that bad guys keep trying the same megla-maniacal schemes. I think in future episodes the story will take a different direction and I feel especially good about Rian Johnson at the helm for The Last Jedi.

Another reason I enjoyed TFA so much was that it checked every box for me as a SW fan. Creatures, lightsabers, environments, ships, interesting characters, all tied together with a nostalgic thread. Watching it with my 7 year old son also brought a whole new and different level of enjoyment for me. To be able to see SW through his eyes was incredible and we are loving the SW life together right now.

10. wookieebusiness

Mar 30, 2017
    Rogue One:

I went into Rogue One with the expectation that all of the main characters would die, and so I had already prepared myself that the film was really about the journey more than the destination. I adored the way the production team brought me back to the OT era with the sets and the general aesthetic of the film. It blends so well into ANH for me. So many strong characters that I am excited to learn more about, especially Chirrut, K2SO, Baze, and Cassian.

The technology criticisms are foolish in my opinion. Tarkin was absolutely stunning, and I have spoken to multiple people who had no idea he was CG. Leia was more noticeable to me, but I thought it was a nice touch, especially when I found out Carrie Fisher approved and loved it. The creatures, like TFA were brilliantly done and I liked the new settings and vehicles. The easter eggs from Rebels were icing on the cake for me. It had just the right blend of humor and seriousness that I also found in TFA.

My only criticism is with the title treatment at the beginning of the film. No crawl didn't bother me as much as I expected, but the title card type was just bad. The music was solid and Giacchino is the right choice to succeed John Williams if and when he is unavailable. The themes weren't as memorable as traditional JW scores, but I think over time, Giacchino will adapt. His track record speaks for itself.

11. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    I enjoyed both, as well. I just enjoyed Rogue one more than TFA.

TFA:
    I liked that they passed the touch, so to speak from many of the original characters to the new ones (at least the good guys). I'm hoping they take more time to develop Snoke and Kylo Ren, not to mention Phasma. I did like the intro of Luke meeting Rey. in fact, I really liked the beginning of the movie a lot and feel it was strong.

I felt it got a little cheesy with the rest, and very redundant with most of the rest of the plot points...compared with ANH. Cantina/Mass, looking for droid, Han's dealing with other smugglers/riffraff, even bigger death star wanna-be (with an even bigger weakness), almost the same rush to get the plans to the resistance. Funny that neither X-wings or TIE fighters changed that much (though a little was improved). Parts of it made me think of the Ewok movies...

Finn also went from not wanting to kill anyone, to blasting everyone in his former home to escape. Seemed a little odd to me, but once he did escape, thing got more understandable. Like most people, I want to know who dropped Rey off. I do find it funny that Rey AND Finn could hold off Kylo, though Finn wasn't as successful as Rey was. Good for Finn, not so good for Kylo, especially given how strong with the force Kylo/Ben was.

I also, being an EU fan, especially for Timothy Zahn works, did not agree with Kylo's real name being Ben in the first place. In the EU, 'Ben" was Luke and Mara's son... not Leia and Han's son. Why would Leia and Han name their child Ben after Obiwan? She had never met him, and only referred to him as General Kenobi... and he died/sacrificed himself so she and the group could escape and thus never met him after she was broken out of AA23. Han regarded him as an old fossil, at least at the time. So it does not seem logical or likely that either of them would name their children after him. Luke on the other hand, knew and respected Ben Kenobi the entire time he knew him... as his mentor/teacher.

That being said, they had their moments in these minor gripes as well. And in my opinion, even a not-so-good Star Wars movie is still better than most other movies... including the prequels. It is not like George Lucas always had the best dialogue in his time. Also, Episode VIII and IX might also make more of a case for the way things were done.. and might make things that might have looked pointless have deeper meaning as they continue.

Rogue One:

My only criticisms for his film were the opening title crawl and the lack of John Williams music. I didn't mind the new one, but it was odd not having the traditional part. The the only reason I miss them is tradition... and doesn't make the score they actually used wrong or bad.

Sure, there were a few cheesy lines or call backs in this one as well, but I don't think I thought they were as noticeable. The tie-ins with Rebels and Clone Wars cartoons were great, and as close to ANH as this movie could be (days, hours, maybe a week or two?) were almost essential. And with this being a darker film, might have kept it light-hearted enough for us to keep the crowds upbeat. After all, I don't think anyone expected the Rebels to win the war... I would have preferred the stormtroopers in general were better as a whole, but what can you do? :)

I completely agree with you on the CGI Tarkin and Leia. Tarkin was excellent, and since Peter Cushing is dead, how else could you show such an important character...and antagonist for Krennic. It was better than the way they showed him at the end of RotS... Given that Carrie Fisher supported it, and the fact that you can only age-progess backwards so far, I didn't have a problem with her's either. You only saw Leia a short time, so it couldn't be that bad.

Lots of good parts as well, even the tragic, but expected ending. Accomplishing the mission doesn't always mean you live. :( Space battle was wonderful, as was the reason for Luke's Red 5 opening, mixed motivations for Rebels, etc. Sure, it had some common features to RotJ, but as an anthology and quasi-prequel, I thought it was excellent.

12. wookieebusiness

Mar 30, 2017
    On the Ben name issue...I would say that once Leia found out that Obi Wan was responsible for rescuing her and Luke and taking them to live with their respective adopted families, Obi-Wan's role became much more meaningful to her. Han wouldn't have cared what his son was named in my opinion. He's not what I would call a fatherly kind of guy, so he would have gone with whatever Leia wanted. There's also the chance that Leia asked Luke to name her son, or at least give input. Considering Obi Wan saved their lives arguably 3 times (birth, Death Star, and helping Luke on the trench run) I would say that it fits. I also think that she would have been aware of the great respect that her adopted father (Bail Organa) had for Obi Wan as well, and perhaps saw it as a fitting tribute to him in that way as well.

I can't really comment on the EU, having only dabbled a little bit. I read the first Thrawn book and really enjoyed it, but at the time, the EU was daunting to me, and very inaccessible to new fans IMO, so I just never really dove in. I have, however, read all but one of the new canon books, and I am currently reading that one, so I will be totally informed on the new canon.

In regards to Rogue One's music, you should check out this video:

Rogue One's Music Connections

After watching this, it gave me great perspective on the score and the work that Giacchino did in only 4 weeks! I already admired his previous work (LOST, Up, Ratatouille, Inside Out, etc.), but this gave a great glimpse at the work that went into crafting music for such an iconic franchise. His attempts to pay homage to John Williams' score, while also crafting something different to set this film apart from the saga are incredible.

13. wookieebusiness

Mar 30, 2017
    Also, I hadn't heard Rogue One compared to RotJ. That's interesting, considering RotJ is widely considered the most "kid friendly" of the OT and Rogue One, I would argue is the most "adult." I suppose there are some slight connections in that a small force is attempting to infiltrate an imperial base in a stolen imperial craft while a battle rages in space, but beyond that, I don't really see it.

Those things don't bother me though. I see the real world as cyclical, so I expect things in movies to be as well. It's nature.

14. Lord_Kosh

Oct 20, 2005
    I take a look at the link... Thanks. :)

I watched Rogue One again at home Saturday. I took a special look at Tarkin, and I just don't see a problem. Leia wasn't bad either. Far better than the re-released original trilogy scenes added, in my opinion. I really think it holds up to the original trilogy quite well. :)

Darth Maul, and watching Palpatine "work the crowd" were the only things that saved Episode I, but I didn't think TFA was bad at all. The naming thing for Ben Solo was kind of odd for me, but his name really didn't "change the story" or anything to disrupt he movie. Maas was a nice character to add...almost Yoda-esk, and I liked the humor in it. Sure, a little cheesy at times, but it is a family film. A bad Star Wars film is still better than many other films, so even if it was far worse, I'd probably still give it a chance.

Episode VIII, TLJ, shows promise and I'll certainly see it a time or two in the theater (maybe more). :)