main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion New Lightsabers ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Was Grievous an apprentice of Dooku?

2. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    The only duel in the PT that had any substance was Vader/Obi Wan in ROTS. And even saying that is stretching it. We didn't care anywhere near as much about Vader/Obi Wan in ROTS as we did in ANH because Vader's character from ROTS suffered from having a crappy script with a wooden actor "saying" the lines.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I want to see a double lightsaber that's flat like a broadsword. Twin blades.

4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    That's because you didn't understand The Matrix. Each and every fight had a specific purpose to make a point in the story. Enter the Dragon was merely a demonstration of Bruce Lee's abilities.

LawJedi likes this.
  5. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    its almost like using the cheats on Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy.

6. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Although its not a new light saber, I would like to see new fighting techniques with the light saber. It may just be me, but I think one of the benefits of a light saber over a normal sword is the fact that you can turn it on and off. I've had a fight in my mind for many years that involved some one that knew how to use a light saber and one who didn't. The common situation is two people are toe to toe with swords crossed so the can taunt each other, only instead of pushing each other away and continuing, one turns the saber off causing the other to loose balance and then the sword is turned back on to slice the other.

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    In slow motion.

8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, 4 of them! ;):D[face_tee_hee]

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree with Vid's post and all those that say "stick with tradition".

Obi-wan said "Your father's light saber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." He didn't add that it could be gimmicked out like some wonder tool you could buy on an infomercial late at night. Keep It Simple Stupid..

gregvader123 likes this.
  10. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I would like to see the light saber back from around 5,000 B.B.Y where they needed an external power pack. They could do that if they ever make a movie of the old republic days.

11. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I'd like to see none of this, single bladed lightsabers in green blue and red. There's no need for ever increasing levels of ridiculousness with jedi/sith weaponry.
    I had a hard time swollowing Mauls double bladed thing, let alone Grevious' ridiuclous display.

12. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have an idea for a new kind of lightsaber...

How about one where the color and shape of the blade remain consistent throughout all the movies? :p

13. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I know right? There were so many different color lightsabers twirling during the Battle of Genosis that I thought I was watching a gay pride parade. Yeah it was kinda cool to see Anakin using 2 sabers at once but they just had to be two different colors, didn't they? Too much flash. Seeing Luke ignite his green saber for the first time in ROTJ was awesome and new and interesting but then Lucas got carried away.

14. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I actually like the combo of blue and green lightsabers, especially against red, like with Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs. Maul or Anakin vs. Dooku. What I was referring to is the fact that they can't seem to keep the color and shape consistent from movie to movie. In Episode III, they have a point at the end; In Episode IV, Luke's Lightsaber alternates between blue, white, and green; In Episodes V and VI, Vader's goes pink and they lose their cores from time to time. You know, the usual complaints... but these I actually agree with.

15. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Why on earth with all the ****ing arround with the SE did he not fix to saber issues....100% agree

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  16. niccalas_cage

niccalas_cage Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2010
    rofl

17. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I wouldn't mind more colors (orange, yellow, and pure white would be interesting). Someone dual-wielding two shorter blades could also be interesting, but only if the choreography and filming were clear. Lightsabers, with the way the animators have them arc with movement, obscure those that wield them. That's one of the reasons why the Vader/Obi-Wan fight on Mustafar was such a mess - between the flair (whee superfluous lightsaber twirls that don't actually do anything!) and the camera angles, it was mostly a mess of blue and white streaks on the screen.

But, like someone said above, it's not about the lightsabers themselves, but a combination of the characters that wield them and the drama of the fight that's most important.

18. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    A lightwhip would b interesting to see. More curved hilt sabers. A short bladed or shoto(?) lightsaber.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Only in the swordfighting sense- he had no ability to use the Force, but Dooku taught him a bit about lightsaber fighting.

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I only want primary & secondary color lightsabers (Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Purple - I don't even like orange!). And only the types that have already been in film.

21. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Light-Boomerang. Definitely. o_O

22. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Just keep them as they are, preferably attached to at least halfway cool Jedi and not crusty D&D playing lookin' one's from the PT!

23. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Are you referring to lightsaber's or is your comment a metaphor?

24. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Impracticable!

25. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Who is this 'we' you are making assumptions on behalf of? I'm sorry, but the duel between Obi/Vader in ROTS was 10000X better than their 'rematch' on the death star. They didn't even use the force! So much for Vader's assumed 'power' in the OT.

The best thing about the PT was the duels, and they should capitalize on them. It is what makes Star Wars unique and stand out from other Sci Fi. Everyone can do cool CGI now, but only Star Wars has Lightsabers, Jedi, Sith and the Force. Focus on your strengths, and all.

The TPM duels were incredibly good as well. In fact, TPM had the best Lightsaber duel in the SAGA. Most of that was due to Ray Park, a real martial artist instead of an actor who just choreographed scripted scenes. There was a reason Sidious vs Jedi Masters sucked rats @ss, it was because of the actors. Sidious vs Windu lightsaber fight was also not that good, these were supposed to be the top dogs and yet they could barely sword fight.

What they should do is hire actors who also have a martial arts and/or stage fighting background. There are plenty on the market. Then have them train in their duel scenes from the beginning, regularly, until the movements are ingrained into their muscle memory. Then ofcourse enhance with CGI.

And yes, Grievous utterly sucked, and duel with Obi Wan was pathetic as well. The only good thing was how easily Obi Wan crushed him. The duel showcased why only Jedi and Sith wield lightsabers, i.e. the Force.