*NEW LIVE ACTION SW DETAILS!!!* (MINOR SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    ANH and TESB maybe?
  2. Cid Jedi Knight

star 1
    Maybe TESB, but ANH still has some very hokey dialogue.

Obi-Wan: Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

3. Icebreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    The dialogue in the original trilogy was just as stuffy as the dialogue in the prequels. But I think there are two things that helped the original trilogy. The dialogue was hoakey, but it wasn't as political detailed or descriptive, so it didn't become bogged down. Also, I think the OT just had better acting. Somehow the original cast knew when to throw away lines and how to just play loose and fast with it, so it seemed a bit natural as compared to the wooden acting in the PT (which was Lucas's attempt at a more formal enviornment IMO, with the Jedi and Senators and such).

-matthew
  4. Cid Jedi Knight

star 1
    I said it was Hokey and wooden, i didn't say it was bad. It was perfect for the subject matter, but that doesn't stop it from being cheesy.
  5. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Cid, I appreciate all of your points. I suppose what I'm really trying to get at is that Star Wars is such a wide-open, creative universe that they could conceivably make a TV show about *anything*. They could have a dark show about the criminal underworld, or they could have a Rebels vs. Empire war drama, or heck, they could even have a light hearted sitcom about a four-armed buffoon who owns a diner on Coruscant and his robot waitress who insists that her grits are regularly kissed. There are so many options, here.

If we bring jedi into the mix, then we have one of two options. Either we'll get multiple jedi, protecting the universe like a team of superheroes ala the PT, or we'll get a single jedi on the run with his rogue friends, ala the OT.

I do want to point out that it's not a deal-breaker for me. If they can make a good show with force-using characters, then hey, no complaints here. I just don't understand how people think a lack of jedi is an automatic death blow to the show. I am fine with a TV show focusing on lesser-explored aspects of the SW galaxy.

Now that I think about it, an anthology series would really rock. That way they could do an even mix of non-jedi and jedi stories, satisfying both crowds. They could even adapt some of the more popular EU stories out there.
  6. Cid Jedi Knight

star 1
  7. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Man I can't Wait for the T.V. show.
  8. Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    Today's Sunday Times' Culture section had an interview with Lucas. Among other things, he talked about the new LA show. This is what he had to say:

"It's completely separate from the Star Wars films. The Clone Wars has all of the characters everybody knows - from Yoda to Anakin to Mace Windu to Ob-Wan - they're all there. The live-action series, meanwhile, has nobody there, because it's after Episode III, so everybody's dead, basically, or hiding somewhere. You hear about the emperor, just like you do in Episode IV, but it's mostly about a whole different world. I mean, there are a million stories in the big city - you've only seen one of them."

I'm guessing some people might be disappointed with the above but it's got me pretty excited. It sounds like exactly what I wanted.
  9. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Sounds good.
    And I do wonder what happens to the clones after the war. Do they just merge into the new Empire's army?
  10. blow_up_the_outside Jedi Knight

star 1
    In the Dark Lord book it says new clones are grown after ROTS and people sign up, so im hoping we see some stuff about this in the tv show. Would be cool to see some Full Metal Jacket style Imperial training camp. Very excited for this show.
  11. smudger9 Force Ghost

star 2
    Yeah, I'm a bit dissapointed. I want to see new characters and stories but I don't want to have it completely seperate from the films. Surely the general theme should be the opression of the empire and the rise of the rebellion, with a few bounty hunter, hutt and jedi-in-hiding related storylines. The way in which GL cast the PT and the fact that a lot of the main villains are just people in masks made it ideal to carry on using some of the main characters. Vader, clones/stormies, Boba Fett, Tarkin, Bail Organa, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Mon Mothma should all be in there IMO with the odd end of season cameo by Ian McDiarmid. Add to that some new bounty hunters, a couple of Jedi (maybe including Quinlan Vos) and some new imperials and this series could be stellar. Dont get me wrong I dont want stories about the young Skywalkers or Han Solo, just something more familiar...... more Star Wars.

I'll still watch it whatever because its Star Wars. I just have a feeling this series isnt as good as it could have been.
  12. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    I would welcome a show without Jedi. IMO aside from their saber fights, they are some of the most bland characters in the SW universe. The Clone Wars (toward the end of AOTC and in ROTS) made them out to be a bit better, seeing as their role in the military is expanded upon, but listening to them go on and on about the force leads to some of the most tiring dialogue.

I do not despise them altogether, and their Sith counterparts are FAR more interesting IMO. I could tolerate a Jedi in hiding in the LAS, perhaps as a mentor in the way Obi-Wan was in the OT. I would not like him (or the force) to be central to the story however. And I wouldn't upset in the least if the Jedi were absent from the LAS all together. There are plenty of other aspects to the SW universe that attract me to it, it's not just the Jedi. The aliens, the vehicles, the ships, Bounty Hunters, gangsters, the Empire, etc. If Lucas did a 180 and decided to incoporate Jedi into the LAS after all, I would be a bit disappointed. The Sith are a different story, but for obvious reasons, Lucas can't really focus the LAS on them.
  13. skoota Jedi Knight

star 1

woo. oh god, i hope they don't touch shadows of the empire. don't want to see that not "beowulf technology."

14. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, I have seen that interview before. It was a bit disappointing at first, but I get why they aren't going to put the main characters from the films in it. I've said it before, but there is much more to the Star Wars galaxy than the Skywalkers.

I actually have a bit of a storyline that I think they could explore (and will probably start writing a fan fic about it). I think it could be interesting and have a chance to bring in plenty of new characters. I want to see a crime lord of sorts trying to make his way into the top spot of a major crime business (like the Hutts or Black Sun or something). I think that would be really interesting.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wouldn't be surprised if we see a SOTE adaptation of some kind in the future. Sansweet and Mccallum have dropped multiple hints over the years that it's something we might see one day after being asked about it constantly by fans. At the very least, I'd almost expect we'll see a Xizor cameo in the LAS series if it's going to deal heavily with the underworld.

There's a degree of that going on in Jabba's plotlines in the Han Solo Trilogy with Jabba dealing with issues within his own clan, and Durga trying to sell them out to Xizor's advances from Black Sun.

It's actually a bit more interesting in light of TCW movie's plotline- as Jabba despises his aunt's offspring. I suspect events surrounding his son during the CW will eventually be linked to the source of his hatred of Huttlets in those books. There's a certain catchphrase from CW I'd love to have retroactively inserted into the 3rd book after Jabba kills his aunt and squishes her offspring... *SQUISH!* "stinky puffy muffin..." ;)
  16. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Hm...I will have to read those.

See, the thing I am thinking we could get with the LA is a little mini-ANH every week. What I mean was, ANH had these people we barely knew anything about fighting the so-called Empire, etc, etc. However, it will introduce brand new characters, sort of like the way we were introduced to Luke, Han and Leia.

A quick question: When this is finally released, what month do you think it will be? I had initially assumed that it would be the Fall for some reason, but that could interfere with the CW. So, what do you think?

17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I doubt CW and the LAS will be on the same channel, and they certainly target different audiences just given the animated/LA difference. Even so, the show would have to debut either in the fall (Sept/Oct usually, unless issues like Fox delaying premeires so as not to be interupted by baseball games come into play) or January-ish as a mid-season launch ala Terminator or 24.
  18. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Knight

star 1
    According to last week's Sunday Times Online UK, production is going to start next year [face_dancing]

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article4386319.ece
  19. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    "I am gunnery sgt. Veers your senior drill instructor"

"You are the lowest form of life on Carida"

"What planet are you from anyway private?"

"You owe me for one Jawa Juice!"
  20. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, I didn't think they'd be on the same channel. I was just wondering when they would be aired.

That was an interesting interview. Long, but interesting. I was hoping that the series would be made in 2010 so I could make a trip out there and audition. :(
  21. SuperPersch Force Ghost

star 4
    I know theories and predictions are the way of life on message boards and with Star Wars in general. I just don't think we should start "expecting" this and that - because as soon as you do, you have The Phantom Menace all over again. People will be dissappointed if they expect a certain something from this series. For now I'm just sitting back, excited but not expecting anything detailed. All I expect is Star Wars.

(That was a bit off the subject but yea...)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.