main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi New member, first thread/post here, got questions

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by RexTano, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RexTano

RexTano Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2017
    Hi all, joined a week or so ago so I could discuss TLJ and other ST topics that have been on my mind as well as a bunch of other topics pertaining to the whole SW universe in general (strictly canon, never really got into the EU or "Legends"). Nothing earth-shattering or unique, probably the same topics and questions most here have regarding backstories, possible story and character developments, etc.

I've read through a bunch of FAQs and forum guides here so I think I've got the basic gist of things, and have been posting on other forums for several decades now so I know the basic rules of forum posting (e.g. don't troll, spam, insult, get personal, etc.). But there are a few things I'm still a bit confused about, and since this site has been around a long time and has its own unique set of rules and conventions and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here, I thought I'd ask before getting into actual SW discussions.

Meta rules...

First, what constitutes a spoiler? Are we talking allegedly leaked info about an upcoming film or other work (animated, comic, novel, etc.) that if true we're not supposed to know about officially, that came from an anonymous inside source or was inadvertently revealed by an actor (e.g. finding out about Luke's parentage before TESB came out)? Or does this also include theories that one comes across online, or even came up with oneself, especially ones that make sense, that if true would spoil things for some (e.g. Rey's parents are...)?

Second, in Spoilers Allowed forums, are there certain kinds of spoilers that are nevertheless still not allowed (e.g. Daisy Ridley accidentally reveals that...)? And the spoilers that one is allowed to reveal, can they be part of one's post, or do you have to hide them with some special tag or code or button?

I've got a bunch of theories and ideas I'd like to discuss, specifically regarding TLJ & Rebels (usual stuff, Rey's parents, Snoke's backstory, what happens to Kanan and Ezra, etc.), but before doing so I want to make sure of the ground rules so I don't do anything wrong or risk getting banned.

Btw as my profile indicates, been a SW fan since ANH came out in 1977, have seen every film multiple times, read every canon novel and most of the comics, seen every episode of TCW & Rebels, pretty familiar with most of the major theories regarding the ST. Nor a "hard core" fan like some (never been to a convention or done cosplay and own no paraphernalia), but definitely not a casual fan either. It's great escapist entertainment that manages to be more than just great escapist entertainment because of the deeper themes it explores--that whole Joseph Campbell power of myth nature of good vs. evil thing.

Also, can't wait till TLJ comes out, like everyone else here. Already got my tickets for the 15th (but might trade them in for the 14th although the best seats left are in the 4th row).

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome RexTano to the forums. I will try to answer as many of your questions, but please reask them if my responses are not clear of you ahve addditional ones.

(1) Each particular forum has slightly different rules about what is and what is not a spoiler, and those rules are usually pinned on top of each forum. In addition, you can private message (PM) the forum moderators to get specificity on their spoiler rules. In general, a spoiler is any information that could potentially give away the plot, story, character development, character history, or facts about the story of the Star Wars Universe that has not been officially released by Disney or LFL through official chanels, (i.e., trailer, press release, offical web site posting). When in doubt as to whether a particular piece of information qualifies as a spoiler, please include the information within spoiler tags (i.e., "spoiler" and "/spoiler" replacing "" with brackets.)

On the Rules of the JC tab, (found at the top of the board, this is the official rules regarding spoilers.

Spoilers
    1. A spoiler is any piece of information relating to a future Star Wars publication or production that has not been officially released by Lucasfilm, Ltd. or one of its affiliates.
    2. The posting of spoiler materials outside of designated spoiler areas is absolutely prohibited. This policy may vary slightly from forum to forum. Spoilers cannot be included in a post, profile, avatar or signature. Check each individual forum's rules for further details.
    3. In general, when dealing with spoilers, err on the side of courtesy. If you would like to talk about a movie, book, etc. without tags then make a thread for it and clearly mark it as having spoilers. The rest of the time please use tags (see below) even if it's older published material. Blatantly obvious material, e.g. "Rosebud," the Titanic, doesn't require spoiler tags.
    4. To mark material as spoiler: either use
      spoiler text here
      or spoiler text here.
    Of course some forums, i.e., (Spoilers not allowed) prohibit all spoilers including those using the spoiler tags.

(2) Please check individual spoiler rules concerning any specific variations to the general spoiler rules.

(3) Some of the things you want to discuss have been discussed in already created threads. Before starting a new thread, check to see if one had previously been created.

Hope that helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Again, welcome aboard.

Skiara and Lady Belligerent like this.
  3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! Welcome aboard. :)

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  5. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks! I like it too. :)

She's my favorite character in the entire Star Wars canon. Fierce, compassionate, smart, brave, funny--and takes no guff from no one! Who wouldn't want to have her as a friend? Rex was also my favorite clone, and the two made a great friend and warrior pair. Since he never really had a proper family (but TONS of "brothers"), I thought it would be nice if she "adopted" him.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  6. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks, and nice to be a member of this community.

7. Jorgz

Jorgz Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2017
    Welcome to TFN!!!!!!

8. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Bazinga'd,

Thanks for the welcome and detailed response. So, basically, a spoiler is any information about yet to be or still fairly newly released (and thus which not everyone's seen or read yet) Star Wars content, be it a film, TV episode, book, comic, etc., that didn't come from official channels AND was officially approved for release. So, the following are clearly spoilers:
    • A supposedly inside anonymous source who leaked some juicy tidbit about an upcoming work
    • A slip of the tongue by an insider that potentially reveals something that Disney wouldn't want us to know
    • A co-branded product, such as a toy or video game, not meant to be released until the work it's associated with is released, that gives us hints about that work, that was accidentally released or leaked
    I assume that the above are all considered to be spoilers even if they're not necessarily verified as true, and even if they might be intentional misinformation put out by an insider to misdirect or simply toy with us, correct?

But, what about theories and speculation, that one comes across here or there or even thinks up oneself, based entirely on what is currently officially known, but which could "spoil" things for some?

E.g. before TESB originally came out (and assuming that the internet existed then), correctly speculating on who Luke's dad really was (I assume that I'm not putting out a spoiler here as anyone who doesn't know who he is is probably not a good fit for this site, but I suppose that there are young people who are just getting into SW who still don't know).

So, if I have this really cool theory on who Snoke really is, I can't post it in forums where spoilers aren't allowed, whether or not it's true? Or is that technically not a spoiler and just speculation?

Finally, in forums where spoilers are allowed, do I still need to hide a potential spoiler with spoiler tags and such, or are there places here where one can openly discuss spoilers without hiding them?

I'll just add that, while I'm new here, I'm a veteran of other, completely unrelated forums and blogs, and fully realize that they all have their own unique and complex "culture" and norms, and fully intend to tread carefully until I learn the ropes here. So vast, complex, long-lived and rich is the SW world, both in the actual works and in the people who follow them, that joining and taking part in a site like this is sort of like moving to a new country.

Like, where does one discuss favorite characters across the entire canon, where does one debate flaws in various SW works, to what extent is one allowed to discuss real-world events that might relate to SW (so as to not let things devolve into political pie fights and such), where do people discuss ships and gear and blasters and armor and all that, and so on. I'll figure out most of that over time, by observing and gingerly participating. Should be fun!

9. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks, my fellow Newbling!

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Its a soiler UNLESS Disney/LFL approved the information for release. So a rogue LFL employee who claims he read the script would be considered a spoiler. We have had people claim they had that information before only for that information to be subsequently discredited, so we generally take that type of information with a grain a salt. In some cases that information wouldnt even be allowed. We have had habitual fabricators post on here before, and they have been prohibited from posting their same falsehoods.

In most cases those would constitute spoilers.

Not usually. We have a ton of threads that discuss speculation. Generally, they are allowed in the appropriate forum.

Check individual forum rules.

One other thing, we strongly discourage a user posting consecutively (also known as double posting). Please use the edit function at the bottom of a previous post to add more content. (Usually you can only edit within 30 mins of original post).

11. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Got it (I think!). So basically, info we're officially not supposed to know about, per Disney, however it came out, and whether or not actually true, is a spoiler. Theories and speculation, however astute, that are based on officially known information, are generally not spoilers.

So that thing that Adam Driver said a couple of weeks ago that generated a lot of speculation about you know what, whether it was a slip of the tongue or playful trolling, that would be a spoiler, right?

But if I come up with this amazing theory that appears to prove that Snoke is Dr. Aphra's father's evil twin brother that everyone agrees finally solves the mystery (hey if I'm hypothesizing then I might as well make myself look good), that's not a spoiler, unless a forum indicates otherwise?

Also, is there a certain amount of time one has to wait after a given work comes out before one can discuss its contents openly, and if so does each forum have its own rules on that? I mean, I assume that everything from the 8 films already released is fair game at this point, but it wouldn't have been cool to discuss details of Rogue One while it was still in its second run or even early in its video release, right?

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by consecutive posting? Do you mean cross-posting, i.e. posting basically if not literally the same post in more than one place here? Or do you mean something else, and have I inadvertently violated this rule here?

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats generally the parameters, but its slightly broader than that. Also remember, for some people who dont want to remain spoiler free untoil the movie, information from the released trailers can be considered spoilers as well. So in many cases it is contextual. Again, I would review the individual forum rules concerning spoilers and ask the forum mods for any clarifications.

Everything from the seven released saga movies and Rogue one are no longer considerd spoilers.

13. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks again. I do realize that there are going to be exceptions to and nuances with such general rules. In the end I suppose it'll come down to spending some time here and getting the feel of things. So, I'll try to tread lightly at first.

Btw, still not sure what consecutive posting is, and whether I've done it here.

14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Making consecutive (back-to back) posts is what constitutes consecutive or double posting.

15. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Ah, I see. I think I actually just did that in a different forum. I'd just made a post and wanted to add something to it, but when I hit edit it brought up a popup editor that was blank and I wasn't sure what to do. So I did in fact make a second post. Is there something you need to do to edit a just-posted post? Shouldn't hitting the edit button do it? Do I have to wait a few minutes before it works?

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Nothing you can do now. Just in the future, use the edit feature to add additional content to the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    But that's the thing, I did try to use it, and nothing happened. Nothing to "edit", just a blank field. What was I doing wrong?

Ok, I posted the above, then immediately hit edit. It VERY briefly showed the original post, which then disappeared. On a hunch, I hit "More Options", and it brought up the original post, which I'm now editing. Not sure why the initial edit function isn't working on my machine. I'm using Firefox on Windows 7, if that matters.

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    the edit feature won’t work on posts that have previously posted more than 30 mins in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. RexTano

Nov 1, 2017
    Actually, I hit the edit button literally seconds after the initial post, and it did work, but only after hitting the More Options button. So this isn't why Edit initially didn't show my original post so I could edit it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.