main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI New Member Intro

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Terrell78, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrell78

Terrell78 Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2005
    Hi gang,

I've been lurking around the boards for a while and finally decided to say hi. I've been a huge star wars fan ever since I was four and got the Millennium Falcon for Christmas. I still have most of my vintage stuff and some of the newer figures. I'm also into the miniatures games (WEG and Wizards). At the moment I don't have a costume, everything I've seen points to them being very expensive.

I must say that I'm really impressed with your charity work. Make-A-Wish and Scamp are both special to me. A friend of the family has a kid in the Clarkston SCAP program, and MAW made a huge difference my brother-in-laws life before he passed. If you need a non-costumer for any of the events please let me know.

Just a couple quick questions.
    1. Does you book club have a reading list to discuss each month or is it general discussion?
    2. Do you ever meet on the east side?

Thanks,
    Terrell

2. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Welcome to the boards and the group! To answer your first question, the book club does have a monthly schedule that we go through for discussions. You can see the thread here, the upcoming book for September is Legacy of the Force: Betrayal.

As for the second question, it just depends on how far east you're talking about. We've held meetings on Woodward, in between Maple and Lincoln Streets. That's about as east as we've gotten.

3. CTATigger

CTATigger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    Sometimes we have Game/Movie nights in Warren:)
    We'd love to host another one sometime..hint, hint:)

4. BlastyTrooper

BlastyTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2003
    Greetings Terrell!

If you ever want to be non-costume support at an event, just let us know. We'll find something for you to do.

5. Terrell78

Terrell78 Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2005
    CTATigger: Glad to hear about the movie and game nights. I hold SW mini game nights at my place about every other month, they have been put on hold as my wife and I do a major cleaning/rearranging on the basement. The more the merrier once they get going again.

BlastyTrooper: Yes, please use and abuse me at your events. Anything for a great cause.

I know that costuming=expensive, but what are the less expensive costume options. Unfortunately my wife and I can't sew at all so I know getting it done will cost alot.

6. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Welcome!

We do need a game night soon. I was watching the World Series of Pop Culture and realized that the group of us would have won easily! The prize was some insane amount of money, I think it was $250,000 split between 3 people.

Since I have discovered that no costume is really done, they are all expensive. I think the cloth costumes (with the exception of Padme) are generally less expensive than armor. Really, it has to be what you will be comfortable in. :)

7. Terrell78

Terrell78 Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2005
    If I can be fairly comfortable in a fist suit for multiple hours, I'll be comfortable in anything :).

I guess I'm a bit amazed that even an imperial officers uniform will run $500 without the accessories. While I do spend some cash on plastic crack (SW Miniatures), costuming is crazy expensive.

8. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    That's why I decided to just buy a sewing machine and fight with it until it I could make something. :D

9. TI1800

TI1800 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    All told, my officer uniform cost around $550 (after including the boots and the cost to get them cut down to the right height, my new belt, and the code cylinders & rank badge -- those, together, were probably $10 in materials and hours of blood, sweat, and cursing :D). I'm not even going to try to tally the running total on my Stormie or TIE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.