main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New member/posting a story question-HELP!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by katz, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katz

katz Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2008
    Hi there. I just joined. I am katz from Michigan. I was alive when the world saw SW for the first time. My favorite charactor is Darth Vader because of his 2 sides...simular to Spock in Star Trek, also my favorite.

I have a story that I want posted but I am confused as to how to use this forum. Its looks complicated. Where do I get it posted? I dont have any programs to make a nice "book cover" as in the archives section..which I really want!..so is there some other way I can get this on the site??

Also...before I post it...I need help.
    #1. What planet/city was not blown up in any of the episodes, that Vader and Luke would feel home too?

Thanks!!

katz

2. Oddball_62

Oddball_62 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    Welcome to the forums, katz! If you're confused, this is definitely the place to go.

If you have a story you want to post, we can help if you know what timeframe it is written in. If it's a story that takes place before the movies, then post it here. If it's during the movies, as in between two episodes, then post it here. If it's after the saga, post it here. Does that help? :)

As for your question, I don't really know what you're talking about. Do you mean you need to know a planet that Vader and Luke would feel 'home' to? Well, they both grew up on Tatooine, but if that doesn't answer your question, sorry. [face_blush]

In the meantime, enjoy your time here on the boards, and don't get lost in the insanity!8-}:p

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Hi, katz. Welcome to the JC! Odd seems to have given you some good information on fanfiction so far. Maybe I can add a little bit here or there.

Your fanfiction can go on one of three boards, based on the timeframe in which it is set. So, just like Odd said, you can find your board and just post there. At the top of each of those boards, you can find suggestions to help get readers and make your story better received, too. Putting specific information in the title and in your first post will help to give other users an idea of what your story is about.

As for a "cover," fanfics that get submitted to theforce.net archives usually get a cover to go with it before archival, but that's not necessary for just the regular fanfic boards. If you're interested in getting a cover made for your story, I'd suggest posting a request in the Open Call thread on the fan art board. There are some great artists there, and even though you can merely make a request, maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who would be willing to help out. :)

I hope this helps a little more. Have fun around here.

Trika

4. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    Welcome, katz! :) Beware: these boards are addictive.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome katz! :)

Odd and Trika have given you some great information already, so there's not much I can add. Just, take a bit time to go through the boards and learn its structure. It's true that it look complicated and overhelming at the first sight, but if you take some minute to understand it, you'll see, it's rather simple. So it's worth to spend some minutes for just surfing through the different boards. :)

And if you have more questions or need further help, just let us know, ok? :)

Enjoy your stay and much luck with your story! [face_good_luck]

6. katz

katz Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2008
    Thanks all!

I have just one thing to fill into my story. I kinda "feel" where the 2 characters should go, but something is holding me back. (The force maybe?)

ok here is the question: I am looking for a planet/city, that has the best medical facility with all the departments. You know such as heart (cardiac), cancer center, robotics center, pulminary..etc...

Other than that, I am pretty much done. Oh, oops, my story is right after ROTJ ends so I had to write a few sentences to give the reader the vision of what happened in the movie, is this ok?

Thanks so much!

katz

7. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Hey, again! Let's see if I can't help you out a little more. You mentioned the story takes place after ROTJ, so you'll post your story on the Beyond the Saga board. Putting a few sentences at the beginning like you did is all right. If the bulk of the story is after the movie, it'll happen in Beyond the Saga. :)

As for your question about the planet/city, the best place to ask would be the Fanfic Writer's Help and Information Thread for that answer and other questions about Star Wars stuff in fanfic. Personally, I've never written a fic that needed something like that, but odds are, there may be other authors who have, and they'd be there to answer your question. Have you tried Wookieepedia yet? I usually browse their planets page and start wandering around the galaxy looking for something that fits if I need something real Star Wars like and I don't feel like just making one up, which is another option. Creating your own is another cool option if you can't find something exact.

I hope that helps a little more. You're always welcome to PM me if you need further help. :)

Trika

EDIT: grammatical skills lacking; please give coffee

8. Blue_Lightsaber42

Blue_Lightsaber42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    *gives [face_coffee] to Trika*
    Welcome, katz! Everyone has gizen you great advice, and I can't really add anything. But enjoy the insanity and have fun!:D

9. katz

katz Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2008
    I wanted to come back and thanks all thoes that helped. I did some research and found my facility. I also wanted to end on an interesting note.

While writing my story, I (I kid you not) felt driven to write the story while driving back and forth from work. I kept being pulled in certain directions. (I guess the force is stong in me)LOL I knew 2 of the 3 charactors I was writing about except one. I swear I did not read anything about him. I just took what I knew from the films. Then when I needed to find a medical facility, I decided to look up this charactor and revise some things in my story. I was shocked what I found!! This actually happened to the charactor!!

Ok, Glad to chat once more. Thanks everyone.

katz

10. Jedi_Allegra

Jedi_Allegra Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 10, 2003

No, no, no. She's needs Mud from the Dark Lord's Council. :p

And the newbie is a Trekkie. [face_talk_hand]

EDIT: I swear I'm really nice when you get to know me. Infact feel free to send me a Personal Message if you have any questions. :) Honestly, I don't bite. (psst. I'm a Trekkie too. [face_shhh])

Welcome to the JC!

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I just wanted to pop in and wish you a warm welcome katz! I have family over in Michigan, so I found that exceptionally cool. Have you ever heard of the small town of Centreville?

I hope you enjoy yourself around these forums. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.