main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi New member - to me, it's all about the characters

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by lovethedarkside, Oct 10, 2017.

1. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Hello! I’ve been lurking here for years, reading people’s thoughts and opinions and silently agreeing or disagreeing, and enjoying how people view Star Wars so differently from each other. I’ve enjoyed the rumors and interpretations and expectations for what is to come. My excitement for last night’s new TLJ trailer has finally prompted me to officially join. A bit about me…

I’ve been on the SW ride for most of my life, starting in 1977. ANH and ESB were the best moves I had ever seen, and – without the Internet, streaming, DVDs or even VHS tapes to feed my overactive imagination when it came to SW – I made up a lot of SW stories while waiting the 3 long years in between movies. TFA, ROTS, RO, and ESB are my all-time favorite movies (of any kind).

Later, I read the EU books and posted periodically on the now-defunct New Jedi Order Encyclopedia (NJOE) forum. My favorite EU character was Jacen Solo so I particularly enjoyed the LOTF series and the NJO books Traitor and Star by Star.

The Saga movies will forever be my favorites. I just love the characters, the story and the music. (Star Wars isn’t Star Wars without the music!) Han Solo, young Obi Wan, Anakin, and Kylo Ren are my favorite characters (in no particular order). I continue to read the new books and download each one on my Kindle the day it is released. Lost Stars, Thrawn, and Leia are some of my favorite newer books. Rebels rounds out my SW interest, but I’m mostly following it because of Ezra. I’m really curious to know how his story unfolds.

p.s. While being an EU fan who was initially disappointed about the EU being thrown away, I am very much a fan of the new Disney Star Wars. I’m loving the movies, books, and TV so far! However, I do think they are using bits and pieces of the old EU in the new canon. Thrawn is the obvious crossover, but I also think Kylo Ren is a newer version of Jacen. I just hope his arc has a more satisfying ending than Jacen's!

2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Very nice user name!! :D

You’ll find round the clock EU discussion here! Please let me know if you need help finding anything.

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Welcome!

always a pleasure to meet a Jed....I mean uhh a possible dark sider :p

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions feel free to ask.:cool:

Considering your user name I will assume you would not be open to an invitation to join a Jedi faction?:p

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  6. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Welcome to the forums! Lost Stars is one of my several favorites of EU books!

You could always check out the Sith faction here, if you're interested. ;)

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Welcome. @};- You certainly have an ecclectic assortment of likes when it comes to SW Legends merging and paralleling canon that is establishing. I too like Rebels and Thrawn in any version gets my [face_dancing] :) I also gravitate to SW because of the characters. Fanfiction is where they grow and where alternate stories branch off in all kinds of fascinating directions. From your comments, I think your reviews/plots would be well-received. [face_batting]

8. lovethedarkside

Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks, all, for the warm welcome!

Lady Belligerent, thanks for the EU link. Is the EU intended to be just the old EU or do the new non-Film books, etc. count as EU? I had assumed it meant old/original EU, but now I'm not so sure.

ConservativeJedi321, that's a good question. You're making me think about it. I do tend to follow and be most interested in the Dark Side team, but I do also like the Jedi. (Jedi) Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Rey, Luke, Ezra, and Ahsoka are among my favorites, plus a few in the EU like Kyp, Ben Skywalker, and (Jedi) Jacen Solo. But if I step back and think about all the others, probably not so much. I think it's the conflict and motivations of the DS that make me interested in them. Why would someone do something terrible? They must have started with a reason that seems reasonable to themselves, and then it all goes down from there. I also have a bit of faith that they'll eventually do the right thing.

Halle Dray, thanks for the pointer to the Sith faction. I will certainly check it out!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, I haven't gotten into FanFic yet, so thanks for recommending it. You bring up a good point about character development. I did find the Only-Right fan fic and have started to read that. Being that the LOTF conclusion was unsatisfying for me, I'm excited to see how this fanfic portrays it!

9. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    Just came to say ... Hello There =)

10. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    lovethedarkside, both the old EU and canon EU are welcome and heartily discussed on both EU Boards. :)

11. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Well if your interested, I'll point you in the direction of the Guardians of Light.
    We have an Enclave this side of the forum that you might like to observe before you commit yourself to the Sith.

Plus, there is just something about a Jedi called "lovethedarkside" that I simply find hilarious.[face_laugh]

Rules of the clubs require that you can only be a member of one and not the other. But feel free to take your time to decide.:)

Halle Dray likes this.
  12. lovethedarkside

Oct 10, 2017
    Yeah, I'm laughing, too. :) I just love everything SW, I'd hate to limit it to one side or the other!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  13. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    You should definitely check out all options before deciding. :)

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome, you will find die hard EU fans here, I do love the new stuff but to me there are just two time lines............and as a passionate Kyp Durron lover, I cannot let the past go! :p

15. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    You could always join the Grey Jedi club as well!