main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New member welcome thread?!

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by gregcarter, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregcarter

gregcarter Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2006
    Hi, I just moved to Milwaukee to start as an assistant professor at UWM. (I lived in Austin, TX, for 6 years and was active with Austin Fan Force.) I tried to post to the "New Member Welcome Thread," but it's locked.

Looking to interact w/ other SW fans in MKE. Do you guys actually meet, or just exchange barbs on the forums?

Later!

Greg Carter

2. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    We get together and hang out, but we're not a "fan club" with meetings or anything. Sitting around and discussing Star Wars isn't really our thing. We prefer to loiter, consume adult beverages, and the likes. And exchange barbs. Welcome to Milwaukee :)

3. gregcarter

Apr 11, 2006
    Great! Well, count me in.

4. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Welcome to MKE, Greg!

5. gregcarter

Apr 11, 2006
    Thanks! All my life I wanted to live somewhere like Naboo a few months of the year and Hoth a few months of the year.

6. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    So what subject are you "teaching"? And some of us do like to sit around and discuss Star Wars. Not sure if you are into playing RPG's, but if you are, there is a regional group that is running 2 different Star Wars continuing campaigns.

Welcome to Milwaukee,

Nancy

7. gregcarter

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm a professor in the History department, focusing on race in the U.S. I live on the east side, just blocks from Cafe Hollander (or Zoolander, as I've been mis-naming it in my head).

Never played RPG. More of a collector--3 3/4 figures, Sideshow 12", and anything Vader--and dabbler in fan films. I'm entertaining going into costuming before the next Celebration. Most likely as a Mandalorian.

Yes, talking abt SW is a good thing, esp when your supply of friends who see your room full of dolls--that is, LICENSED COLLECTIBLES--is back to zero.

8. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Greetings to a fellow east-sider. I live in Shorewood, so I'm familiar with your haunts. It's a great place to live, in my opinion, but of course I'm completely biased. And moving from Austin? You've come to the right side of town to feel at home. The east side is the artsy/eclectic part of town. Will this winter be your first experience with snow?

I'm Catie, a nursing student who works in the evenings doing data entry. I've done a couple of films for my nursing courses, but nothing that would be considered "fan films" (unless you count one as a GI Joe fan film). Have you always wanted to be a prof, and in that specific area?

In the collecting department, thankfully I like some of the more obscure stuff, and never got pulled into collecting the 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures. I do like miniature things though, like the MR mini lightsabers, the Micro Machine mini playsets in the shape of character's heads, and the mini-Titanium series of the vehicles, and I only collect the ones I like, at that. I'm not into costuming myself, but certainly can appreciate a nice looking outfit.

FYI, beginning on October (I think), the Museum of Science and Industry down in Chicago is showing the Star Wars: Magic and the Myth exhibition. I saw it when it was at the Natural History Museum a couple of years ago. Highly recommended. And I have to ammend what Sara (JediRacer8) said in her post... we do talk Star Wars, just not exclusively. The group that hangs out regularly socially consists of people from all backgrounds/beliefs/opinions, and that makes for some very interesting discussions. But SW is never far from our hearts/minds.

And welcome to our fair city.

9. SWCostumer

Jan 31, 2005
    Having attended CII, CIII & CIV, I can definitely say it is really fun to go in costume. As you may have guessed from my posting name and my photobucket handle, I am costumer; I wear and make costumes. While at CIV, I had the inspiration to consider making a Mandolorian after seeing female armour. There is an on-line costuming group for both original and recreation bounty hunters.

Maybe sometime in the near future the local costumers can get together?

10. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    And I have to amend what Catie said, because what I posted was not meant to say we don't ever talk about SW as she implied. We simply don't have the fan club type discussions that some folks prefer. Our conversations are more informal and tend to be in a more social setting.

11. gregcarter

Apr 11, 2006
    Hey, Catie. Yeah, I'm digging the east side [gangsta finger-twisting in the shape of an "E" here], although it's been too many days since my last visit to Hollander. I'd like to develop a bar crawl from here to the 3rd ward (or is that the 5th?) to take future visitors on. So far I've gotten down to Brady, but it needs tweaking.

Always wanted to be a prof? Not necessarily. I wanted to write a great novel, jet-set with celebrities, or help George w/ Episodes 7-9, but this affords me a suitable amt of freedom.

Ahh, so you're a sort of a miniaturist. That's neat. I'm a generalist in re 3.75", but more of a villainist w/ 12". After that, it's all abt Vader. It would be easy for me to say, "Ooh, I want every .45 lightsaber, MicroMachine or Medicom VCD," but focusing on Vader helps me contain that.

I'm not really a costumer at this moment, but I'm curious abt delving into that.

Thanks for the tip on Magic & Myth. I'd like to check that out.

Talking abt SW: Ahh, I get it. I'd hate to talk SW exclusively and formally myself!

12. gregcarter

Apr 11, 2006
    Ahh, I recognize your pic w/ R2 from the official site. I may have noted yr costume at C4, but that seems so long ago now... I was--a dude in a Vader (hockey/football/baseball) jersey).

I'm new w/ costuming, but I'm definitely down w/ getting tips from others. I think I'd go Mandalorian. Or Jedi.

Thanks!

13. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Jet-setting with celebrities sounds like a good ambition to have. That kind of life would be wonderful...go to lots of cons, spend lots of money on toys and costumes...

You're smart to focus on one area of collecting with Vader. It helps keep the budget in line and you end up with a more unique collection than most folks have. I'm trying to venture away from the 3.75" myself but the new McQuarrie line is still on my hunting list.

14. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Greetings from Chicago:)

ref,
    (I lived in Austin, TX, for 6 years and was active with Austin Fan Force.)

wonder if you met

the Co-Founder and past President of Chicago Force

Dave, who has been down in Austin for the past couple years,

Ed......not a new member to MKE by would be a visitor to MKE
    should there be an opportunity:)

15. SWCostumer

Jan 31, 2005
    Jedi costumes are fairly easy plus I think I can now sew them in my sleep as I have made so many. The hardest part is collecting all the little do-dads for the belt.

Vader collecting: My partner's son is an avid Vader collector. At last count he has something in the region of 90 Vaders. But he also collects other SW items. Plus his wife is into R2D2.

16. marajoan64

marajoan64 Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2007
    I don't know whether I am a new member since I am one of the founding members of this city forum way back when. I remember Catie and Sara and am familiar with Nancy. Haven't been around for a while but wanted to check out the old haunts. Had to change my screen name slightly since it wouldn't let me on.

17. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    I can speak for the Third Ward, Greg; I live just outside it in Walker's Point. The Third Ward isn't too bar heavy, but there are some. The Milwuakee Ale House is a nice place with their own brewery and good food. There's also an Irish Pub that's new just down the street from the Ale House. Now Walker's Point, there you've got some nice places. Most of the ones on second are gay bars, but you'll also find Steny's which is a nice bar and has awesome wings and Slim McGinns on first. Slim's is my favorite bar. Great food and excellent, mostly Irish, beers on tap. A pub crawl from Shorewood to the Point is very possible.

18. cilona

cilona Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2007
    Hello, new board member here. :)

To introduce myself... I live on the East side, I'm a UWM student (Theatre/History, going for a BFA in costuming) and I've been a lapsed Star Wars fan for the past couple years, but my Star Wars fandom came roaring back a while ago when I started playing a Star Wars D20 game with some friends, and I'm trying to catch up on as much of what I've missed as I possibly can. I'm a fanfic reader, a costumer (haven't done any Star Wars yet, mostly stuff for Vampire LARPs, Renfaire, and the odd anime con), and a gamer. Not much of a collector, though there are a few minor characters that I go nuts for.

I registered to lurk on the fanfic boards, and just ventured outside of there due to being bored at work, and hey! wow! Milwaukee!

19. gregcarter

Apr 11, 2006
    Well, I've just come through a busy week full of academics with tenure-anxiety. I'd love to meet some of you all here in town. Let's start putting this ball in motion!

20. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi new people.
    I forget about this board sometimes so apologize for seemingly ignoring people.

Welcome from the South! I'm originally from Arkansas but maybe you won't hold that against me? (Woo pig soooie!). There's another guy lurking around here from AR too though.

My name is Lesley and I live near Racine in a small town no one's aware of. It's about 30 minutes away from all the goodness of Milwaukee. I teach at Marquette part time in the college of nursing and also work at some retail clinics. Also in school full-time too. Yet, still manage to find plenty of time to chat online and play several hours worth of spider solitaire daily.

Most of my collecting is centered around the odd SW character who had maybe 10 second screen time - Bariss Offee, Kit Fisko, etc. Nearly all my stuff is boxed up now due to lack of space. Maybe we'll get a bigger place someday.

Catie - I count the GI Joe film as fanfilmage, even if that wasn't it's original purpose. Did it make it to YouTube yet?

SW discussions - good with me. Also LOTR if you are in need of some additional useless but detailed information.

21. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Heck, Lesley, both the cellulitis and the GI Joe videos have been on youtube for a while now... over six months maybe? Here are the links if anyone is interested...

GI JOE VD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvqOyZgvCtM

Cellulitis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBGhmEt8ks

As for actually getting together and meeting newer folks... we tend to get together at various people's homes and at places which provide libations for a price, but those plans aren't decided until the last minute usually, so it's hard to give you a head's up. I know this weekend is not so good for most of us... maybe we can work something out for next weekend?

22. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    Works for me.

23. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    For a bar crawl with a Latin flair, there's a bunch of Mexican/Hispanic/Cuban places down near National and 3rd (right around there anyway). Great food, different atmospheres in each place and pretty much all within walking distance in warm weather.

Another option is the riverwalk downtown.

24. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    We've finally nailed down a date and a thing to do for any new people who want to join us. We just have to work on the time.

This Saturday, October 13th, we're going bowling at Landmark Lanes on Farwell Ave (it's located between the Oriental Theater and Ma Fisher's). Don't exactly know what time yet, but we were shooting for around 3pm. And there's no need to feel self conscious about your bowling abilities... it's nerd bowling, so if we break 100 we're thrilled. Afterwords there was talk of going to Franklin to go see the Brew City Bruisers all-girls roller derby match, but that's still up in the air at this time.

If you have any questions or need directions or anything, feel free to send me a private message. I'll respond as soon as I can, and when we get an actual time nailed down, I'll post that ASAP (I need to find out when they have open bowling on Saturdays).

Hope to see you guys there!

Oh, I did forget to mention that in addition to bowling, Landmark Lanes has a small arcade, usually stocked with a good retro game or two, steel tip darts, pool tables, and air hockey. It's actually a pretty fun place.

25. steelneena

steelneena Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2007
    Lo
    I'm new here as well. I actually live down towards the Sussex area. I haven't done much and I'm wondering what some of the better spots are on the forums. I'm a big SW junkie and I don't collect a whole lot, but I love to costume. I went to a party as a Jedi once but it was a really basic costume. Any tips?

Jenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.