main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA New Member Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by YoungJedi11, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    Welcome! I guess I just now notice there is someone else here!
    I am Melanie, I don't really live in Ventura but these are my homies so I hang here also!
    I'm really a boring Oregonian, bleh.

Again, welcome!

2. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    Welcome, Darkknight! Another classical music fan here. I like the romantics as much as the next person, but my real favorite is Bach (J.S., that is), and love discovering new (to me) gems from even older periods.

I do like the Romanticists, but I have a special place for Baroque music. Claudio Monteverdi is a wonderful choice, and I am looking for his "Hor che'l ciel e la terra" sonnet. Thus far, I've had no fortune in finding it.

JS Bach is a wonderful composer, and I have a recording of his Mass in B Minor. My favorite sections of it is the "Agnus Dei" aria. Bach's The Well Tempered Clavier is a wonderful work, but I prefer Book I over Book II.

Vivaldi is another brilliant Baroque composer, and his The Four Seasons is a masterpiece that should be in every music collection.

As far as Romantic composers are concerned, I personally feel that Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky is the best of the Romantic composers. I say this because he had a tumultuous life, and that it often mirrored in his music. Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer, and I love his music. The Sleeping Beauty, his Symphony No. 6 'Pathetique', Swan Lake, The Queen of Spades, and Concert Fantasy for piano and orchestra are my favorite works of music. In my opinion, Tchaikovsky's music is the epitome of the word romantic.

I like most of the composers who I have heard, but I definitely don't like William Walton.

As a Star Wars fan, I must like John Williams, the great composer of Star Wars, Schiendler's List, and Indiana Jones.

Welcome! I guess I just now notice there is someone else here!
    I am Melanie, I don't really live in Ventura but these are my homies so I hang here also!
    I'm really a boring Oregonian, bleh.

Again, welcome!

Hello!

I'm sure that's not too bad. I've been to Oregon, and it is a beautiful region. I've been throughout the coast, the Willamette Valley, the Cascades, and as far east as the outskirts of The Dalles.

PS-I thank you all of you for your warm welcomes!

3. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, but I have a suggestion. If anyobdy here has the proper authority, can we make this thread a sticky thread so it stays on the first page?

4. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Sorry, darkknight, but last I checked, threads can only be "stickyed" upon creation. That may have changed, I'll have to look into it.

5. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    It probably could be done, somewhere, somehow.

6. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    I was only asking because somebody commented that this fell off the first page, and I wanted to see if it can be kept it place. Just a thought.

If not, GentleBant, then you could create a new Welcome Thread, sticky it, link it to this old thread, and lock this one. If you have the time, you may want to try this. Afterall, I don't think we would want to lose our Welcome Thread again.

7. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    We can alway just bump it occasionally, and keep it on teh first page that way. No need to create an entirely new thread.

8. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    No, we certainly wouldn't.

9. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    Yeah, we can just bump this one. Hey, can the thread name be changed? Maybe this can be an official social thread?

Hey, do any of you listen to the radio? What are your favorite radio stations? I listen to KUSC 91.1 FM, a classical station.

10. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Hehe, the Dead Board thread is our Unofficial Social thread, plus I think down on the second page is an actual thread all about radio stations. Might want to bump that also...

11. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    We have an official social thread...

12. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    I'm sorry, but I must be an annoying newbie. I thank you all for your patience.

13. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Nah man, you're not annoying. :)

14. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    No one is annoying here...well, maybe just me...

Welcome DK!!!

15. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    The soul still burns....

16. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Woo, welcome back Akumz! :D

17. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, in all honesty, I was never really there to begin with ;)

Now I work in Ventura and have a looser school schedule so I should be able to make it to a meeting.

18. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I've seen you around the JCC and stuff.

19. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    Hi, so what do you guys do at these meetings? I live in Thousand Oaks and I might want to go to one of them.

20. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Basically we usually end up sitting around and talking. :)

21. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Hiya Akumz and jediknightleia!

We'd love for you to come to a meeting sometime. :~)

Basically, we're a rather varied and ecclectic group of people who gather once a month to eat and talk about Star Wars stuff and things that are going on in our lives.

We talk about SW literature, movies (SW and otherwise), games (<cough> Galaxies in particular), costuming, Celebration and other conventions, spoilers for Ep III (but with warnings so some can cover their ears), Clone Wars, and anything else that comes up.

Motto: "The Ventura County Fan Force:
    Where the men are young, the women are wise, and half of us don't wake up before noon."

22. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    That's us! [face_love]

23. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    That's awsome. If I were in that, I might actually prove the part wrong about the women being smart, I'd be the odd woman out.
    Then it'd be: Where the men are young, the women are smart (cept for this airhead in the group), ...

But *sniff*, I'm probably not a part of that.

24. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Oh, Larena! You're just as much a member as anyone!!

Yeah, what GB said is pretty dead-on. Excessive amount of Galaxies talk, but usually that's un-avoidable. ;)

25. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    sounds like fun, I might come to one of these meetings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.