main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq New Members Check in Here! Mos Alba Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by VoidDancer, Nov 1, 2003.

1. hairlesswookie

hairlesswookie Jedi Master star 3

Oct 23, 2001
    We have a very fitting magnet on the fridge that says, "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
    :)

2. propgeek1701

propgeek1701 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    There's also a great Broadway tune that I love:

"I won't grow up. (Echo)
    I will never wear a tie. (Echo)
    Or a serious expression... (echo)
    In the middle of July (echo).
    If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
    I won't grow up , never grow up, I will never groooow up... not me!"

3. fathom33

fathom33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Yeah, I have to admit, I am a very accepting and cool wife... ha ha!!! [face_laugh] Especially related to the Star Wars World... couldnt ask for anything more... tee hee.

4. Morph-Eharl-Khoehng

Morph-Eharl-Khoehng Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    Is the meeting still on for today @ 2?

5. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
  6. Morph-Eharl-Khoehng

Morph-Eharl-Khoehng Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    I was looking forward to going today, but unfortunately I was side tracked by my evil emperor (the wife). I will make a meeting soon.

7. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hola fathom33 and Shaak_vi! Always makes my day when we get some new faces around here!

Dang - now I really wish I didn't miss out on seeing Bruce Campbell! *stupid work*

Anyway, warm welcome to all!

Michelle

8. EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2005
    You say it like there's something wrong with that...

9. propgeek1701

Apr 27, 2005
    See now EP... this is why SW Chicks just rule! Wow, you just understand and accept. For so many of us, our first adolescence just sucked and this is a way to make up for it. At least I think that's what is going on in my melon.

10. fathom33

Jul 14, 2005
    It's just the force calling us all to coolness. That is why SW fans are cooler than anyother people... ROCK ON!!!

11. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Rock On!!!

12. EvilPrincess

Jun 23, 2005
    SW fans ARE cooler! I already knew that, but the idea was reinforced to me at ComicCon [face_laugh]
    And i'd like to know if there's anyone out there who DIDN'T have a crappy adolesence...go back and do high school all over again...NO WAY! [face_shame_on_you]

13. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    No way. [face_not_talking]

14. propgeek1701

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm definitely in the "Go back-no way!" faction here. Mid Hi and High School sucked! But there are plenty of people who should have enjoyed their adolescence to some extent: superstars, jocks, cheerleaders, popular people, and even everyday kids who had a fairly well-adjusted home life. That's not to say that these kids who "had it all" never experienced any pain. Of course not! Even the most 'normal' and 'well-adjusted' adolescence is marked by pain and anxiety and self-comparison and mood swings and self-consciousness. That's all pretty standard stuff. Even for the jocks and cheerleaders. But some of us endured some very tough circumstances on top of that... we came from really sick families, or we had health issues, or we were awkward and socially graceless, or shy and fear-motivated, or we had learning challenges or mental illness that were misunderstood. Things that put us beyond the reach of normal relations with others.

My $.02

-Propgeek, waxing psychological, and not wanting to minimize anyone's adolescent angst.

15. fathom33

Jul 14, 2005
    I am definitely on the "hell no, we wont go" side of this. Dont get me wrong, I am thankful for all the happy memories I have as well as the lessons I have learned from the not so happy ones, but there is no way I would want to go back and do it all over again.

Well, maybe if I could actually make different decisions or change the past, but who knows if that would have helped. ha ha. Probably would have just ended up worse.

I like being an adult child better... ha ha

16. EvilPrincess

Jun 23, 2005
    I had good memories AND bad...and I agree with Propgeek...that time of your life is kinda sucky no matter what. But there are those of us who had crap piled on top of the usual teenage angst, and that just made it worse. So even knowing now what i didn't know then, i'd still not want to go back!

and yeah, being an adult child IS better!! More fun! :D

17. propgeek1701

Apr 27, 2005
    This is why I enjoy retired guys so much. A.) They've been around long enough to find out how to really have fun... B.) Usually have the cash to do whatever they want, and C.) Get a real kick out of enjoying it with younger people. Some of the biggest kids I know are in their 70's. Went shooting with one of those guys the other day. He let me fire his cherry-condition M-1 Carbine, an antique six-shooter, a glock, and a 1911. It was suhweet! Yesterday, I spent the afternoon with another old guy in his shop, making parts for blasters. Another one of my old guys has the sweetest model train sets around. Another one, a retired rocket scientist, makes the coolest RC planes and gliders I've ever seen. I could go on and on.

Adult childhood is the best!

18. fathom33

Jul 14, 2005
    AMEN TO THAT!!! I am having more fun in my adult than I ever try to remember from childhood... ha ha.

19. obi-chris-kenobi

obi-chris-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    There is no way I would go back. I had a great time, but things are better married and with children. Plus kids give an excuse to by cool toys!

Oh yea, welcome all newcomers.

20. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    WELCOME ALL NEW MEMBERS!!! It's gunna be fun I guarantee!

21. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Welcome back Matt!! Glad you made it back safe!!!

22. PurpleMountain88

PurpleMountain88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2005
    Hey everyone, it's Ashley! just got back to jacksonville, fl a few days ago. I miss it over there so much!! I'll be back next year for sure but I have to work on getting my dad to allow her. Hope you all are having fun and we'll defiently be back for Christmas so don't forget about us! I'll try to get on the boards as much as i can so look for me.
    ~ashley~

23. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005
    welcome aboard! It gets pretty crazy around here, but I try too keep everything as serious as possible. ;)

24. Redgek

Redgek Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 1999
    Welcome Ashley! Sonia and I enjoyed meeting you and Tabby. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Maybe we'll get Matt to lighten up and crack a joke for once!

25. Qui-Gon-Matt

Apr 20, 2005