main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Members Check in Here!

Discussion in 'Archive: Bakersfield CA' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Hello!

Thanks for dropping in! I LOVE costuming! I'm working on a Scout costume right now. I already have a Jedi costume.

But I don't know if there's much reason to come down here to visit. I can't even get one other person to post regularly. I know a couple of our people don't have internet at home right now, but I have no clue what's up with the other guys.

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Well you are formally hereby invited to come and join us. Crash our meetings anytime you wish!! And Bring Friends.

Check out the Tulare County Fanforce Briefings for all the info. Our next meeting is this Friday @ 6:30 p.m. It's at the Border's in Visalia. The post has all the directions. Bring friends!!

And let us know when your next meetings are..we will probably crash them as well! :)

Besides with your past experience... we can use all the help we can get!

MTFBWY

-Master "K" -

3. TheBespinIceCreamGuy

TheBespinIceCreamGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2003
    James Zimmerman
    Taft CA
    i had no idea this exhisted
    but i guess i cant be apart cause i dont live in bakersfield but i go there everyday

4. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Of course you can be a part of the group! Everyone is welcome, Bakersfield just happens to be where we gather.

Welcome!

5. tvgrluvsw

tvgrluvsw Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2003
    hey james come to borders bookstore on wed night at 6:30 for the meeting, we want all the members we can get!!

6. Amithyst_Blade

Amithyst_Blade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I feel so young here :p

Name: Ashleymarie but I go by "Sey"

SW Related Interests: I used to be an avid fan-fiction writer for the movies and Expanded Universe books. Lately, with graduation looming in a few weeks, I have halted on my writing. I own over 50 of the EU books, some figurines, have subscribed to the Star Wars Insider just recently, own one red lightsaber I got from my boyfriend on my 17th birthday. :) His nickname is Ewok. Oh, speaking of which, this last birthday, he got me a stuffed Wicket ewok from Ebay. I love it! I own SW jewelry too, shirts, and tons of pictures. I'm a very devoted fan. Wore leia buns, b/c I lost a bet with my friends, to the showing of Episode 2 in theatres. My favorite of all the movies is Empire Strikes Back. I own the soundtracks from the movies as well. Can't wait till EP3 comes out too. :)
    *fave characters-
    -Xanatos... *sigh*
    -Kyp Durron
    -Jaina Solo
    -Nom Anor (i know i'm strange)
    -Mara Jade
    -Han Solo
    -Wicket

Non-SW Related Interests: I love to paint and draw. I'm an artist. I write stories and tons of poetry. Movie going, play watching, theatre-nerd major, dressing up for non-holiday-specified reasons (which is no reason at all), dancing, singing. I have three younger brothers... and have converted them very nicely to the ways of the Force. My friends use the word 'corrupted' but I tend to think that is too harsh.

How did you get started on SW: I used to despise Star Wars when I was younger because my brother loved watching the movies over and over. However, I finally gave the movies a chance at 12 when he had his 11th birthday themed Star Wars. I fell in love with it.

7. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    A new member!!! *squeal*

Welcome aboard, Sey! Let us know what days/times during the week are good for you, so we can be sure that you can attend the next meeting!

<I>*fave characters-
    -Xanatos... *sigh*</I>

OOoooh!! Xanatos isn't a favorite character of mine, but the Jedi Apprentice books are favorite books of mine. So I'm glad to see someone else who appreciates them. :)

Don't go disappearing on us!

8. Amithyst_Blade

Nov 14, 2001
    *appears*

lol no no i shant... :) or at least try not too.

some of my friends are really avid Star Wars fans as well, I'm gonna see if they wanna join up too.

I'm still really busy lately, however. With graduation and the One Acts this weekend....

Hey does anyone like The Rocky Horror Picture Show/play? They did it this last weekend at the Candlelight Theatre. I went and it was totally awesome!!! They are making it a monthly thing too! I went and dressed up with my friends. My boyfriend is in it as well, along with a few good chicks I know. It was so much fun!

anyways, lol yea... :p

9. Darth_Terentatek

Darth_Terentatek Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2004
    Hey...it looks like Sey beat me to this place. Oh well.

Name: Michael Weir...people just call me Mike
    SW Related Interests: The Force and lightsaber combat, as well as Star Wars RPGs. OK, I'll have to admit that I'm probably way too obsessed with this stuff. I read as much as I can about the Light Side, the Dark Side, how they interact with the universe, how they affect individual beings and the galaxy as a whole. Every so often, I just sit there and think about the Force....I just realized how dorky that sounds. Ah well. I also study the several forms of lightsaber combat. Every character has a different kind of lightsaber style (Count Dooku, for interest, is lightsaber combat at its most refined...Obi Wan is primarily defensive...Yoda is blazing speed, using your power within the Force to enhance your abilities). I took fencing for a long time to learn the basics of sword combat, and then finished after 8 years to study samurai fighting. I always fight with two swords, preferring agility and power to defense.
    Favorite Characters: Revan (probably my favorite, though he's so little known...if you know who Revan was, I'm impressed), Jolee Bindo, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Emperor Palpatine
    Non-Star Wars Interests: I'm about as obsessed with sports as I am with the Force. Hockey and college football are my big favorites, but baseball and lacrosse are right up there. I love computers (I was the kid that the neighbors on the block called when they needed help), chess, writing. I have a hamster named Achilles. Sey has met him and she loves him.

How Did I Get Started On SW: You know, I don't even remember. As far back as I remember, I've always been obsessed with it.

That's about it. Keep in touch.

10. Darth_Terentatek

Apr 29, 2004
    Exciting, these forums are...perhaps there was not the Star Wars following in Bakersfield that I had anticipated.

11. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey, Welcome to the both of you. I'm Master Kenobi (also known in other circles as Captn Jack, Han Solo, and a long time ago in a Movie Theater Far Far Away as Indy).

I'm the Chapter Rep from up north in Tulare County and part of the Brethern of Bakersfield! We do costuming, film recreation, live skits, charities, etc. Also, did I mention that we do lightsaber and live steel cutlass fighting. My Anakin and I do quite a bit of saberfighting (both coreographed and free-style). I have studied Kenobi's style (defensive yes...but does let a bit of anger guide him at times..watch his face and actions). And Ani does the two-bladed fighting and has the actions and style down pat. Since we are also part of a Pirates of the Caribbean Recreation Group, we both do live steel cutlass coreographed fighting.

All of us are also involved in RenFaire were I do Horse Games and fighting, Ani is starting to do fighting and the rest do Squiring for the jousters, drebbing, court, pirates and all sorts of stuff. We attend Conventions regularly (and myself and Master Ash-Tohn have been doing this since the ORIGINAL SW film came out in '77). So welcome aboard and hope to get to meet you soon.

Also, for the others..we are now hooked up with Orange County, San Diego, and LA...got down to the BBQ...will fill everyone in on our next meeting.

FBWY

Master -K-

12. Darth_Terentatek

Apr 29, 2004
    Ah ha, there is some life in this forum after all.
    My friend Sam and I used to pad up our weapons and fight free style. He would generally fight with a staff, whereas I fought with two single swords. We could do freestyle that way, and hit each other. The only rule was no blows to the head.
    Pleasure to meet you.

13. Amithyst_Blade

Nov 14, 2001
    ooO! i wanna fight with real lightsabers... *hangs head low* too bad there aren't real blades like that

14. Darth_Terentatek

Apr 29, 2004
    Me too. We'll get together and duel sometime.

15. Amithyst_Blade

Nov 14, 2001
    heck yea...

dudes.... this forum is dead...

*zaps it with dark force power*

16. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Please feel free to start some discussion topics if there's something you'd like to chat about. I tried a couple awhile ago, but failed miserably...

We're also working on figuring out a meeting date, so if you have any preferences, let me know. :)

17. TheBespinIceCreamGuy

TheBespinIceCreamGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2003
    Well I don't have a car yet
    so it isin't easy for me to
    get to Bakersfield and I've
    been really busy lately but
    I am still interested.

18. General_Karrde

General_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    Wow. I just started lookin' around and found that this is as close to me as possible. Santa Maria, CA.

It's been almost 6 months since a reply! Holy cow!

19. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Hello and welcome!

I'm always lurking around, but I can't speak for the others...

If you're ever going to be in town lemme know and I'll see if I can round up some of the troops. :)

20. General_Karrde

General_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    I'll be sure to let you know if I'm ever there!

21. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    And here we are another six months later.

My name is Scott. I am 30 years old and am a fan of Star Wars.

I'm a pastor at Valley Bible fellowship. I oversee all of the video and graphics at the church.

I just found these forums today and am really excited to see what we might all be able to do together. I love making videos and am looking to do a kick-butt lightsaber movie. I can do the visual effects (blue screen, 3D animation, digital sets, compositing and rotoscoping) and videography (Canon XL-1s with progressive scan movie mode) I can also help in the choreography and stunts (I am a black belt in GoJu and have messed with lightsaber sword fighting for a long time) I can draw up costumes and designs but I know nothing of making them. Same goes for lightsaber hilts. I've designed a few but have never built any.

Outside of SW, I used to be a youth pastor and am into God in a big way. Also, you would be hardpressed to find a bigger Apple Macintosh advocate than me.

Jedi-Riibu, I've spent the last hour or so checking out many threads in this Bakersfield forum. Though we've never met, I feel sad that you are no longer here. You seem to have a lot of fun with this.

I'd like to get involved as much as my schedule would let me. I know my brother would like to as well. Our best days to meet are Monday or Friday nights.

I'll keep lurking periodically to see what updates come.

p.s.
    I'm also interested in seeing EPIII at Pacific Theater on midnight the 19th. I'll probably be there all day. does anyone know when tickets go on sale locally at Pacific?

Thanks
    Scott

22. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Hi,

Welcome from the Tulare County FanForce. I am part of a lightsaber fighting group known as "Anakin Skywalker's Jedi Dojo." If you are looking for local saber fighters we may be the ones. My fighting partner and I (our Anakin) took the LucasFilm Award for Outstanding Costume and Performance Achievement at ComicCon last year, and were invited by LFL Reps to compete with our saberfighting routines at CIII this year. (In fact, I should be out practicing right now!). We work according to the individual character styles and work with RenFaires and professional stuntfighting. If you are interested, let us know. I just got through portraying Kenobi in a Make A Wish project, and our Anakin was the SwordMaster. Just PM me and we can discuss things more.

FBWY

Kenobi

23. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Hi Scott!

Welcome to the group!

Hopefully Debbie will show up around here... if you'd like her email and/or phone number I can provide that to you via PM. She actually doesn't have internet at home, so I don't know how fast she'd respond to email. But I'm sure she'd be willing to meet up with you (and others, too) on an arranged weeknight.

Feel free to take charge around here if you're up to it. I'd like to hand off this CR title to someone. :)

24. Admiral-Snackbar-81

Admiral-Snackbar-81 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2004
    Name: Nate
    SW Related Interests: Carded figure collector and occasional seller (only when forced to by other needs, of course). I am a completist, and will be able to work my way backwards really soon.
    Non-SW Related Interests: Member of Fark.com and ****ingparrot.net. My Girlfriend is a major interest of course. I also collect DVD's and other crap. I play basketball occasionally too, and am almost medically clear to continue doing so again.
    How did you get started on SW: When I was around 6, I got stuck waiting in a car for a bit, and my brothers's star wars toys were w/ me. I loved Amanaman, and Death Star Gunner. I hated the Ugnaughts, ugly lil bastages. I then started seeing the movies from time to time, and recently in December of 03, I started my own collection. Now my entire 2nd bedroom's walls are covered in Star Cased figures. And my walk in closet has been invaded as well.
    Favorite Items: Darth Vader ESB Force FX Saber. A 12" Battle Droid made entirely out of metal (ball bearings, screws, bolts, nuts, etc). First Print ESB hardcover. Vintage Slave 1 in box. 12 Back Sand People (on its way to the AFA).

25. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Hi Nate! Welcome to the boards! I hope you've checked out the Lightsaber Practice Meeting thread and that you can hopefully attend, whenever it is decided to be held! Jeff has a MASSIVE collection and as a collector, I think you'd really appreciate seeing it in person. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.