main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW New Movies thread!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by mauls-menace, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I believe they don't know what is fun anymore... I mean come on, it's a blend of Aladdin, Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean and is fun. It's the closest we have to a Disney live action Aladdin-eque film :p ... that's one way at looking at it.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Childhood, too many let it go....gotta learn to hang on to the best bits of it, the bits where you know how to laugh at the world and yourself, where you know how ot have fun without drugs or alcohol.....best bits!

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I agree. I've got a lot of fond memories from childhood and it's still carries over to today.

With some exciting news, there is a new trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey that was released last night.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    According to our friends overseas, 007 Skyfall is pretty amazing though time will tell how it will rank amongst the other films in the series.

More Hobbit news with the Rolling Stones giving an exclusive chance to listen to the end credits song for the Unexpected Journey and also Prince Charles had visited the Weta Workshop and was shown around. If only the film was coming out soon here than Boxing Day.

5. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I can't believe we've had to wait this long for Skyfall to come out (it came out 3 weeks ago in the UK - even the US got it last week). Aren't we a loyal member of the Empire Commonwealth? :(

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I agree! As part of the British Empire, we should be allowed to get it around the same time as them.

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Heck as part of the 21st Century we should......who cares about he Empire/Commonwealth!!!!???

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Universal release dates is not impossible, we had it during a lot of films during the winter...

9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Well, on a technical sense we really are our own Republic now anyway!.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I have to say Skyfall was the best Daniel Craig Bond film made though Sean Connery will always be my favourite. I also loved the certain moments which gave a nod to the previous films. Really worth checking out, even if you aren't a fan of the series.

Wreck-it Ralph was great, they really did that film well and I am hopeful that they are able to make a sequel (I heard they want to bring Mario in and got a great role for him). So many nods to other games, from cameo appearances to sound effects and motions.

The Hobbit... I'll let you know tomorrow what I think of it and the much talked about Higher Frame Rate/48 Frames Per Second format.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yeah... I didn't quite get to leave my impressions of the HFR version of The Hobbit as promised :p Well, here we go:

I have seen the film 3 times now, twice in the HFR and once in 2D. The obvious difference is the clarity of the picture... textures stand out better and everything was quite smooth and richer. There were times when it felt like it was being performed live on stage. Overall, I love the format and thought it was a shame that quite a few places didn't show it though.

What about the film? Without going into spoilers, I loved the film too. Seeing it three times might have been a dead giveaway. I personally find the complaints about 'stretching' one book into three is ill-founded. If they had read the book, it is dense in some places but light in others and all of it was told through Bilbo's perspective... not to mention Tolkien had skipped over certain sections and details . By using the appendices and using material that fit in with that time of Middle-Earth, PJ and co were able to give a more fleshed out story. I cannot wait to see the Desolation of Smaug.

12. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I found The Hobbit rather weird to watch for the first half hour or so. Everything was so fluid, it was almost like watching a CGI film. I liked the movie though.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Which format did you watch it in? They had several things working at once... the RED Cameras, filming in 4k, 48 FPS and in 3D.

In other news, Jurassic Park IV has been given a June 2014 release date... however they haven't announced a director yet. Spielberg and Marshall are producing the film and hopefully Spielberg will return to the director's chair for it. The script is being penned by the duo that worked on Rise of the Planet of the Apes and if that film is anything to go by, it sounds like they will balance the science and adventure which is something JPIII sorely lacked (amongst other things). Hopefully we will have some solid official news soon.

14. TheProtocol

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm not sure to be honest, we watched it in 3D? Lol.

15. TheProtocol

Nov 2, 2012
    *double post*

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There were two versions in 3D. The standard 3D (24FPS) and the other was the Higher Frame Rate (48FPS).

Personally, I love the HFR version though it was in limited sessions and cinemas. Hopefully they will have a larger number of sessions and places for it when the Desolation of Smaug comes out.

On another note, is anyone going to see the 20th Anniversary screening of Jurassic Park?

17. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Saw JP3D at Imax last night.

Blew my freaking mind.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    How great was it!?! I saw it the Thursday night!

It still holds up brilliantly after all these years, had such a great experience.

19. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm keen to see Oblivion at Imax, not sure if or when I will get a chance to get down to Sydney though.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm curious to see Oblivion but I am not too keen on Tom Cruise. Might wait till later.

Iron Man 3 though, there will be a double screening of Avengers and Iron Man at select theatres on the 23rd.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Some news floating about regarding Jurassic Park 4... we know of the June 2014 release period but finally we have more information.

Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) shall be directing it and had been involved since last June. Spielberg had been mentoring him and shall produce it along with Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley.​

Jack Horner is back as a dinosaur consultant and we are expected to see a new animal in the series.​

The original production designer, Rick Carter, is apparently returning, along with JP ///'s one, Ed Verreaux. ​

Set to film this July at Kauai, Hawaii and Baton Rouge.​

I am feeling positive about all this though I hope it won't be rushed given how soon the deadline is.

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Jurassic Park 3D was brilliant......so good to see it again on the big screen and in 3D!!

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  23. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I went to the Sydney Premiere of Star Trek Into Darkness. Was amazing.

Iron Man 3 wasn't too shabby either

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I so want to see Into Darkness! Love a good Trek movie...actually don't mind the bad ones either :p

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I went to the double-feature screening of Avengers / Iron Man 3 and had a great evening. I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and I am looking forward to seeing Thor, The Wolverine and Man of Steel.

I'm glad to hear Into Darkness was great, I've been wondering how that would go following the first film.