main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW New Movies thread!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by mauls-menace, Jun 26, 2002.

1. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    WHy Hulk fail? I think it looks alright :)

2. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Don't Forget Sarah Marshall.

Great great great great great movie.

3. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    iron Man next thursday night!

me n Mark are getting a group to go see Thursday night! If anyone is interested we'll get a group booking online for George St Cinemas! Anyone in?

4. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall, liked it like the rest of the Apatow crew flicks. Only wish interviewers and reviewers wouldn't spoil big laughs like the break-up scene.

5. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Watched it and it was a slow road to no where. Already forgotten............

6. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Nov 27, 2000
  7. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Ouch, I kinda feel sorry for you not enjoying that one. Missing out!

8. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I saw the Spiderwick Chronicles and despite it being a kid's film it was really quite decent, though a little light in places.

Also I got out-voted so I ended up seeing Prom Night, just one word - pathetic.

9. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I really like Phil Tippet's design of the Goblin's in that film! Really cool stuff! Reminds me of the kinda creatures we used to see in stuff the gritty 80's fantasy films!

10. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Just watched Richard Donner's cut of Superman 2.

All fine and dandy till the last scene when Donner rolls out Deus Ex Machina again.

Sheesh, sequelitis anyone?

11. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Nov 27, 2000
    Well Donner hadn't figured out how to end the movie before he got fired, so he had to work with what was available - Super-time-machine or Super-kiss. But I'm sure you knew that and your gripe isn't with Donner but with the Salkinds. ;)

12. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Iron Man was a wonderful tech demo devoid of anything remotely resembling a plot or character depth.

13. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    wow. I couldnt disagree with you more.

i loved every frame. It was afun, exciting and interesting flick from beginning to end. The armour was awesome, as Rhodey says "Man, that is the coolest thing i have ever seen"

If you are even REMOTELY a comic fan, stay after the credits.

best Marvel filmsince Spiderman 2, and on par with the first 2 spiderman and xmen films. Bravo to Favurau and Downey Jr.

Cant wait to see it again

14. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    It is very rare for me to go to the movies and see a trailer I haven't already seen via the Internet or whatnot.

I haven't smiled as much as I did last night when I saw the new Indy trailer. One that hasn't been posted online yet. And I geeked out big time. My cheeks were hurting from so much smiling. Brilliance

Oh and I saw Iron Man too.

Fun :D lots of sweet references to the Marvel Universe, and Downey Jr was just fun in the role. Im not normally a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, but she was great in this! Loved the practical effects, and just really had a great time at the cinema with this one.

15. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    just got bak from iron man, loved it from start to finish, it was nice to see they were already setting up a sequel with the first movie, war machine + the mandarin references

16. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    I saw Ironman on friday night and its so shiney :D
    *dances for joy*

17. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Iron Man was good, not great....really just an opener to more adventures..little action at all but a solid start

18. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Iron Man, really surprised me how crisp and clean it was. Great action, top notch acting (I'm a fan of that kind of dialogue, and Rob is the best at it) and some impressive visual effects. Like Scream said, the end credits sequence is worth the admission alone. It won't go down as the best superhero movie of all time, but it's a fantastic start to what could be a really entertaining franchise.

19. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Nov 27, 2000
    JONESEY!

Just got back from Indy - man, I had fun! Excellent dose of action-adventure, something really enjoyable with charismatic characters.

I honestly can't rate it among the first three flicks, only because the character was younger then and capable of so much more physical action that a role like this requires. That's not to say Indy doesn't get rough - he still packs (and cops) a punch! But this flick is more like taking a look at what Dr Jones' life is like at age 60. And while it's certainly still an adventure, I just ain't like the old days.

THUMBS UP: Casting Cate Blanchet as the villain. I thought she'd ham it up; not a chance. I have a massive amount of respect for this woman's ability to adapt to any role, big budget blockbusters through to indie films (no pun intended).
    THUMBS DOWN: John Williams' score needs to blast through those speakers and punch you in the face. I got not much more than a gentle massage.

20. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    i thought it was ok at best. i wont go into details,I dont want to say anythign this early. But I had low expectations going in, and even those weent met.

21. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    A Mutt Williams prequel more than an Indiana Jones sequel, perhaps?

And I do think the CGI was too much for a movie of this style. I like to think of it like Spidey 3: Really good in most places, but poor enough in others to drag it back down. It isn't a bad movie, I still enjoyed it, but it didn't hit the note I was truley hoping for. Last Crusade is still my favourite :p

22. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Nov 27, 2000
    Caught Iron Man Friday night, two movies in two nights, which I haven't done in ages. Again, a very satisfied customer. Favreau and Downey Jr nailed it. Solid entertainment flick with a cast that fit the bill and quality effects that serve the story.

23. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Saw Iron Man a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Just the right mix of action, suspense and humour. Downey Jr nailed it and as for there not being to much action I've seen or read somewhere that they wanted more but really had to introduce the characters, especially for those that don't know the comic.

Going to see Indy IV tomorrow, not expecting too much as long as it entertaining and doesn't take itself to seriously.

Really can't wait to see The Dark Knight as well as these Hancock, Harry Potter 6, Tropic Thunder, Harold & Kumar 2, Wanted, Hellboy 2 and Quantum of Solace.

24. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Saw THE HAPPENING, the new M Night Shyamalan movie. Not his best, not his worst. A bit like Signs on a larger scale, but not as good.

And very, very graphic. Some of it happens just off-camera, but honestly the stuff that isn't shown isn't as bad as the stuff that is, so I'm not sure why they bothered. There is an r-rated trailer for the movie online. If you're thinking about seeing it, watch that trailer first. And believe me when I say there are things in the movie that are worse than what you see in the trailer. Then, if you see it, you can't say you weren't warned ...

Oh, saw the trailer for the new X-Files movie "X-Files: I Want to Believe". That was a bit of unexpected happiness. :)

Also saw the trailer for GET SMART. Looking forward to that, too.

25. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Caught The Incredible Hulk on Thursday! I'm in the minority who really enjoyed Ang Lee's flick, but while I found this one pretty good, it just wasn't spectacular. Sure we see some actual Hulk Smash, but the visuals in Lee's film were much much better. Ed Norton is good, and plays a Banner who seems very scared of his inner secret. That stuff was good. I think the film needed a little more humor. Sam Elliot was a better General Ross; Jennifer Connelly was a better Betty Ross. Also some nice little hints to the TV Show. Generally worth a watch if your looking for something to see, but don't rush for it. The best parts were really the bigger world it was hinting at!

REALLLY looking forward to seeing Speed Racer, and keen to see The Happening, but no rush.

Also saw Indy for the 3rd time. Still brings smiles.