main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KC, MO New name/new image for KC FanForce?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by GsWookie, Jan 18, 2010.

?

New name/new image for KC FanForce?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2010.
  1. Yes, I would like KC Fan Force to have a new name, logo and image.

71.4%
  2. No, HotA is classic and we should stick with it.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GsWookie

GsWookie Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    It has been suggested that in light of the new format of the group, we should look at creating a new name, image, reputation and logo for the Kansas City Fan Force. This thread is for interest, suggestions, and discussions regarding a new "HotA" image.

2. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    I think a joking suggestion by John is actually our best bet... Future Moister Farmers (drop the 'of America'). It fits with KC's image as a 'cow town' and with the fact that we are the home of the big FFA convention. For logos/etc. we could liberally 'borrow' from the FFA's logos, give them a Star Wars twist...

And along these same lines, what about keeping the "FFA" and doing Future Farmer of Alderaan...

3. UzTh4ce

UzTh4ce Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2010
    Sadly, KC doesn't host the national FFA convention anymore. It rotates between Indianapolis(?!?!) and Louisville. In terms of the name, what about Former Farmers of Alderaan? After all, Star Wars happened "a long time ago" and Alderaan does not exist anymore.

4. KC-Jedi

KC-Jedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 18, 2005
    I am not a big fan of our "cow town" image but nothing that goes on around here seems to change that. Should we embrace it? Tough question.

I do think we should some how work KC into the name. FFA of KC for example.

5. SharaWan

SharaWan Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm sorry guys, but, an organization named "Former Farmers of _______ Fan Force Kansas City" is just a little bit ludicrous. My vote is to keep the classic Heart Of The Alliance. It has meaning that climbs many levels and at many angles. The group was well-named from the beginning and should continue.
    A positive inclusive attitude along with your organizatinal skills will carry it to a long term success, I'm sure. I'm just happy the group is staying together.

6. Tantive4

Tantive4 Jedi Master

Jul 18, 2006
    For those not in the online meeting, this was proposed with the pretense of no "disrespect" to the heritage/origin or history of the Name HOTA, it's formation, or it's founders. But, truth be told, this group has survived more major "schisms" of it's members than I care to recall (nor would want to "dig up" such past drama. That said, HOTA, the group, and yes the name has been tarnished though all this drama (if you don't believe me, I challenge you to stop into a "collectors shop(vintage stock) or comic store in town, and ask around if they know of any local SW fan forces... my bet is if they had heard of us, you may at best get a 50/50 good/bad response about us... (last I checked, 50/50 not so great in the polls)
    Not to say we cannot overcome this, but how much easier will it be people to "move on" and start things "anew" with a new name/ image...

(besides that, having alliance in our title always made me feel anti- empire/dark side ;) )

Anyway, I like the Future Moisture Farmers, (of America or not, but not KC) It speaks to real fans (you have to know SW to know what a Moisture Farm is, or what we are referencing!)
    I never really thought of this as a "Cow" town, but then again, I am not from here... ;)

If this name is not LOVED...or you have a better one, that can be determined by election process later, let's just focus this poll to keeping or not keeping the "HOTA" tag...

(Steps off soapbox)

7. SharaWan

SharaWan Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2010
    I guess my use of 'ludicrous' was just a little harsh and I didn't mean to be.[face_blush]
    My concern is that some thought goes in to the new name, if there is one. Perception is truth, so then, the name tells the world who and what you are.

8. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    If anyone's going to apt to cling to the past, I suppose it's me. But even I'm in a place where a 'rebranding' is not such a bad idea (like Doug says ignoreing exaclty WHAT we change it to for the argument of SHOULD we change anything at all). I look at it this way:

This group is supposed to be (and now with the shut-down of the 'external' boards and us having this discusion here) the KC FanForce. The HotA name became ascendant because that's what we called ourselves yes, but also becuase it was the address of where we primarily existed. But in this new, simpler, world, maybe we should just be KCFF for a while. Now, FanForce chapters do frequently tack on a little something extra to their name for local flavor, and we can have that discussion later, but I think for now we at least should focus on being KCFF for a while.

And Doug is right, there's been one too many trips through the mud for the name, and it has ALWAYS caused us problems having 'Alliance' in there (when we first started making a name for ourselves, I'm thinking Planet Comicon '05, we found ourselves in almost immediate 'enemy' position with the 501st; I know it's not the ONLY explanation, but being named 'good guys' to their 'bad guys' didn't help the other reasons any...). I think we need to consider that too.

9. GsWookie

Feb 4, 2005
    Speaking as a former councilor who's been around from the inception of the HotA group, I agree that it's time to move on. Even though I LOVE the HotA name, I think it's time for a new image.. it's been 5 years and a lot has happened and I also think that a new image will only help us and not hinder us.

But, i'm open to other suggestions besides Moisture Farmers (although I do love this b/c of KC being a 'cow town') Get your creative juices flowing!

10. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    I have to admit I am too a little sentimental for the Hota name but a makeover may be what the doctor ordered. I am sure HotA will never go away. I would like to hear any ideas you have for another name, Shara.

11. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I'm gonna pull this one out of the Archives: Bantha Tippers

'nuff said.

12. GsWookie

Feb 4, 2005
    HA! I forgot about that one! I love it!

13. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    Oh man I forgot about that one. That is still funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.