main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books New Novel! Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well this is disappointing. I was expecting something more...
    Anyway as the one that created the thread is it possible for me to edit the title or do one on the mods have to do it?

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Though I've said before that the audiobook's sound effects may have had a lot to do with it, I actually quite enjoyed Schreiber's books in a campy b-rate kind of way. So given Maul's whole return storyline is the stuff of campy b-movie storylines, this could actually prove to be a logical author-topic combination.

Still hardly a story I'm exactly jumping up and down with joy about, but hopefully it'll be okay. Don't understand why they hyped up what is a very minor novel though.
    I did the very same. [face_plain]

Fun a Darth Maul novel might be. Darth Plagueis it certainly is not.

instantdeath likes this.
  3. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Well that was underwhelming

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm out!

Reaper63 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Another Schreiber novel. Not a bad idea and plot sounds somewhat interesting. I am easy going about this so I will read it regardless of my disinterest in it. I guess I got caught up in all of the hype and speculation and expected something insanely incredible.
    BTW if the idea for Kemp's duology is a continuation of Maul's story in the Clone Wars, I will be ticked.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We got your info for you. Whether or not you are excited for it is up to you

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. My only expectation for it is to be a fun action book. Most likely a bit cheesy, but probably not any more than the original TCW episodes.

It's worth noting that, while we may find this book to be somewhat minor, it's one the average person who watches TCW can probably get very excited about.

8. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    It's not an encouraging thing to see that the only book to get a blue light since the Disney buyout is a TCW tie in.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  9. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Wasn't expecting this, but I am excited. Hope it is good overall, and I hope that it is longer than Red Harvest. A little dissaponted too because I was hoping Joe Schreiber, if he did another, would be a sequel to Death Troopers set somewhere from the NJO-post FotJ featuring the zombie shi being found once more. Will give this a read at some point.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A NJO horror story would be amazing

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Actually not a bad idea for a novel. I'd love to see Maul hold nothing back against prisoners and probably guards too. I like Schreiber's work well enough, and I always like horror. We got glimpses of the prison setting in Death Troopers, but now it's the focus of the novel. Tying Plagueis into it is also a plus, even if he doesn't appear much. But if he does, that would be sweet.

12. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Hardcover?

Really?

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Schreiber's other two books have been hardcover. Also, I noticed that though the cover looks cool, it's a bit too similar to the Shadow Hunter re-release. Mostly the fact that it's a straight-on shot of Maul's uncloaked head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    This will be interesting to see a non-horror Schrieber novel. Unless we misunderstand the article, and it's from the viewpoint of some prisoners as Maul slaughters them all.

Also, guys, this isn't TCW tie-in. It's set before TPM. Just FYI.

(Also, that's a lot of abbreviations :p)

15. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    I'm curious, did Red Harvest not break the New York Times Bestsellers list? Just wondering due to the cover saying best selling author of Death Troopers, rather than Red Harvest.

16. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Is there an official position where somebody sits in on every Star Wars planning meeting as just says "You know what we need more of? Darth Maul!"?

17. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    Probably, because people can't seem to get enough of Maul. People keep saying how DC/Marvel comics are copying 90's trends, so Lucasfilms must have just jumped in too and done the whole late 90's Maul trend.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wanted more Maul back in the late 90's, early 2000's

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    When he was dead, you mean.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When the hype was highest about him.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    [That guy]But he never died.[/that guy]

22. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Which was over ten year before he was alive again.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll reserve judgment until I learn more.

I just hope it doesn't mess with Plagueis at all.

I don't see how this is going to be important, plot-wise... unless Maul is going to get locked up in Cog Hive Seven later on?

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I said it in the other thread, but this book is going to be an 80s action movie.

Seriously, read the blurb, it's ridiculous. Maul is going into the worst prison in the galaxy to compete in gladiatorial death matches?

I'm pretty sure I saw that one, Van Damme was in it.

I've already decided to buy it. If Maul does the splits and/or does a bunch of spin kicks I'm going to lose my flipping mind.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was trying to be a bit of a smart-butt with your post since info came out a couple of hours after your post. More info is definitely required. I had hoped a Dooku novel would have been next and not this. It could work but I'm an optimist about books, though I probably shouldn't after everything we have gotten the past couple years. Unless Maul completely destroys the prison before TPM I would expect that it might show up in TWC series.