main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books New Novel! Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Jan 8, 2013.

1. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    I'm looking forward to this. But, then again, I'm always up for more Maul.

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    So Darth Maul meets Prison Break?

Sitara likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Since a good portion of this should take place before TPM I think I will be fine with this. I don't object with more Maul before TPM but the whole thing after annoys me

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Unless they didn't kill him off and had him return in EP2, which would have been awesome. Have Maul be the Vader for the PT, only to have him die so Vader can take his place.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. They should have had Maul for all three movies and not gone to Dooku as the 2nd in command for AOTC and the beginning of ROTS.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, didn't you hear? Danz has declared this thread no longer relevant. He, of course, being the arbiter of such things.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Ohhh... Can't we just save it for the next new book? All of our ideas will be the same...
    Abrams news... 25 pages in under 12 hours... New book, 15 pages in a couple of weeks....
    Sigh

8. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    I'm glad Joe Schreiber is doing another SW book, but man, I wish it was a sequel to Death Troopers. However, I'm not a Maul fanboy and the blurb doesn't interest me.

TrakNar likes this.
  9. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Trolls FTW.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bah, I say, bah!

I call conjecture on the conclusion that the Maul novel that we didn't know about is the novel that we didn't know about that this thread is about and hence move that is thread continues with its idle speculation about what the novel that we might still not know about is about. :p

Kyris Cavisek and TrakNar like this.
  11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    They hyped it up? I was under the impression we were the ones who did that...

...waiting for Rumsfeld quote...

But yes, I'm still holding out for a post by Jen Heddle saying "no, guys, that's not the book we were talking about either", too.

12. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Couldn't someone... such as a mod :p just merge the two threads? Problem solved :p

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You so know my quote beats Rumsfeld's quote. :p

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm actually not going to be dismissive of this. Yeah, they're overdoing it on Maul and yeah, Red Harvest wasn't any good. But the story's set before Maul's existence got hijacked by idiocy, so TCW is going to be largely irrelevant, and Schreiber isn't a terrible author. He's made one book that was average and one that was poorly conceived but pretty competently executed. And the premise appeals to me precisely because it's pure cheesy pulp. At the moment, with this and Scoundrels and Scourge and Mercy Kill and Shadow Games and Knight Errant and everything else, we're seeing a move to more light standalones that exploit the potential of the setting for fun, pulpy adventures, and I'll take a little more of that trend over another series of Luke Skywalker and the Epic Sith Threat to the Galaxy for now. So if they want to give me a book of SITH PRISON FIGHTS, I'll take it.

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Agreed, but not sure how well Darth Maul lends himself to the cheesy pulp action hero role since he is a depraved murderer who never speaks and has no personality. I'll get on board if Schreiber writes him ridiculously out of character and reinvents him as a goofy Schwarzenegger type, though.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He speaks in TPM- just not much.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Who knows? Maybe Schreiber is a big John Carpenter fan. I think he included a track from The Thing in his unofficial soundtrack for either Death Troopers or Red Harvest. Darth Maul as Snake Plissken? It could work.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Let me guess: Maul killing stuff

Sitara likes this.
  19. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    I'll pass. I still have other Star Wars books which I just bought earlier this month from barnes and noble including Darth Plageous.

This new Darth Maul prison story sounds kind of boring. Plus that Scoundrels novel just came out recently. Too many new stuff coming out its insane.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    As a hardcover this will be a complete pass for me, but I almost pass on them all in that format now.

We really didn't need more Darth Maul.

vong333 likes this.
  21. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    If Maul gets into a fistfight with a Hutt, I might buy the paperback version.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Geeze Maul I thought you was dead.

Sitara likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    pretty good author. I think this will be worth reading

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'll wait for reviews to come in before I bother. Maul has been the best thing on TCW this season, but I really don't care for him that much and never have. He had the "cool" factor from his look, but he never actually did anything on-screen to warrant the kind of following Vader did. I mean, he had one freaking line in TPM and was basically nothing but a kung fu Sith flunkie who somehow managed to kill a Jedi Master AND get lopped in half by said Master's Padawan.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Cool things about Maul: Doesn't talk much, cool look, cult status, dies in a movie, brought back from the dead in the EU, double blades lightsaber, Cool/Scary Spaceship

Cool things about Boba: Doesn't talk much, cool look, cult status, dies in a movie, brought back from the dead in the EU, Jet Pack, Slave 1