new ob1/vader duel scene!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 800-pound-ewok, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coligeon Jedi Knight

star 3
    If memory serves me correct, Obi Wan himself states that he is no longer a Jedi. "I was once a Jedi Knight like your father." If I have the qoute correct he basically says he is no longer as powerful hence his lack of power.
  2. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah, he's no longer a jedi knight. now he's a jedi master.
    knights deal more in flashy swordplay. masters spend their time pondering (and in yoda's case, kicking massive ass when necessary)

i still await details on what needs to be done to 'fix' the duel scene.

*snap-hisss* :eek:
  3. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

whoa! this debate has gotten pretty deep. farce and the fat ewok have both made good arguments here. i know absolutly nothing about kendo or whatever, but i know for sure that i'm of the majority. people like me(who know nothing about swordsmanship mastery and all those words i never knew existed) are suckers for things that make me go ooh and ahh. the ben/vader duel did not make me go ooh and ahh, even before the prequels. i'm leaning towards fat ewok's standpoint because he is correct in that the choreography was just plain boring. the acting and dialogue between ben an vader was great, but not enough for me to be satisfied with this scene.

i know nothing about sworplay efficiency and i don't care. i simply want to be blown away by watching things that make me go ooh and ahh. "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" is a movie that was filled with swordmasters and there was nothing efficient about their moves. in fact, this movie got praise for all it's flash and finesse. many people will argue that the yoda/dooku fight was the best they've ever seen and they are of the majority who know nothing of swordmanship mastery.

this scene needs to be modified just a little because it simply doesn't fit in the saga, now that lucas had dooku and yoda fighting like rabid ninjas. and i also agree with the argumant made earlier in that this feat can be done without hurting the scene.

if people want efficiency in movies, tell jackie chan and jet li to stop showing off and stop moving around all flashy. movies are made to make people go ooh and ahh.

all they have to do with this scene is make it look like they know what the hell they are doing with those lighsabres. this can be done without the use of cgi. all they need are true swordsmen(one wearing the hood and the other wearing the dark armor so that neither can be truly identified) to double in for the wide angle shots. it's as simple as that. i trust george lucas in accomplishing this without sending his saga to hell.

4. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "movies are made to make people go ooh and ahh. "

that's just, like, your opinion, man
    (that's from the big lebowski, for all you action film lovers out there who haven't seen it)
  5. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

of course it's my opinion...and i'm confident that a lot of people feel the same. how do you feel or believe on matters concerning the ways in which movies affect people? i just want to hear out from someone who feels differently thatn i do. ;)
  6. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1) read my previous posts on the matter - technical mumbo-jumbo free

2) a good movie is entertaining, enlightening, affects our emotions in more than one way, and uses visuals to better tell the story (as opposed to writing a story to explain the visuals)

i don't think anyone can argue that a movie with all these elements is good. that's what makes star wars good.
  7. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

my "ooh and ahh" = your #2

my way is, of course, the lazy way to explain it. thanks for your thoughts!

and you're right on the mark: SW is a damn good movie(s).
  8. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well in that case, you forgot the ever-contemplative - oh...
  9. 800-pound-ewok Jedi Youngling

star 1
    hey zeek...!

in the past 12 months, i have spent about $700 on SW alone. i saw aotc 9 times and my girlfriend is about to kill me. heh heh. just out of curiosity, how much $ have you spent on SW alone in the past 12 months?

cheers!
  10. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

11. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    $175 since may. *ouch!*
    that's just so far.

none since the tpm hype before that.
    i never really had a job until about a year ago.
  12. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    oi - does spending money on SW movie trips and toys etc make you more of a fan than anyone else ?

This conversation on who spends the most sounds like it should be in a school playground.

Leave the Vader Obi duel as is stands. When the PT is completed, this duel will signify the last time Anakin and Obi meet. Obi knows he is going to get defeated, but he goes ahead with the duel to cause a neat diversion so Luke et al can escape.

This is probably a sacrifice he makes to attone for his role in the creation of Vader.

It wasn't supposed to be an all singing, all dancing duel - just a short burst between Master and Pupil.

Leave the OT alone !

M
  13. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    thanks, malkie, we were just continuing a conversation that started on page 1 of this thread, ewok and i.
  14. JarethK Jedi Padawan

It mU$7 8e f!><0rd!!!
  15. markdil Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, he's no longer a jedi knight. now he's a jedi master.
    knights deal more in flashy swordplay. masters spend their time pondering (and in yoda's case, kicking massive ass when necessary)

No, he is not a Jedi Master because he has never successfully trained a Padawan.

When he says "I was once a Jedi Knight..." in ANH, this just means he's been living as a hermit on Tatooine for the last 20 years, it does not mean he was expelled from the Jedi order or any such nonsense. ~~grumbling about fanboys and their stupid theories~~

The simplest solution is usually the right one!
  16. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "No, he is not a Jedi Master because he has never successfully trained a Padawan. "

??????????????????????

when did this become a rule?
    a master is one who has *gasp* mastered the art.

the simplest answer is usually the right one.
  17. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

i have to agree with zeek, here. a master is, simply, one who has mastered an art/technique. that whole "training padawan to become master" bull$#!+ only applies to EU.

hey, fat ewok and zeek! i've spent nearly $2000 on SW alone since the TPM hype early 1999. SW totally ate the $#!+ out of me. you're lucky to still have a girlfriend, fat ewok. i, for one, lack one of those. why are women so afraid of SW geeks?
  18. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    having a girlfriend is overrated.
    how in the **** did you spend 2000 on star wars? did you buy every toy and master replica saber on the market?

maybe we should open a poll on this discussion.
    new scene vs. old scene.
  19. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

a poll sounds like a great idea. what the hell happened to ewok and farce? they disappeared without a trace. i couldn't find them in the other recent threads. hmm... work is probably getting in the way again. my job is great. i just sit here and type like crazy to make them think i'm actually doing something productive. i love it!
  20. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    me too. i usually only post at work. 12 hrs at a liquor store in texas, and i'm the manager!
    heh heh.
    suckers.
    that's it, i'm posting a poll.
  21. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

damn! i already posted one. sorry.
  22. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i guess this discussion's back on.
    no actual numbers need apply, according to mr. moranis.
  23. rabid_midget_ninja Jedi Knight

i came back to the forums just to find out that both our polls were shut down. oh well... i guess this thread will have to suffice.
  24. Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Obi-Wan never achives the official rank of Jedi Master. Do they honestly have the tech to do the duel better with Sir Alec dead?
  25. Captain_America Jedi Padawan

Lucas is not as inept as you people seem to think.

If you go and take a look at the Episode II Visual Dictionary, you will see an extensive treatment of the various Jedi lightsaber forms or fighting techniques. There are, I think, seven of these, and each form is employed in different circumstances and to achieve different ends by using different levels of power and control, etc.

It's made VERY clear in the EII dictionary that the Sith use a more classical yet more powerful and offensive form than the Jedi do. It's also stated that Dooku and Vader both use this form. It's this form that Vader uses against Ben, and it's this form that Yoda teaches Luke on Dagobah, thus ensuring that he's skilled in the same form as that of Vader.

So, in light of this, which I think will be touched on in EIII, there is no need to change the duel in EIV.

Cap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.