main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi New Old Fan signing on.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by JohnMcD348, Jan 11, 2015.

1. JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    Hello All.

I've been a Star Wars fan since the first time I saw Star Wars in 1977, before Episode IV, before" A New Hope."

I've kept up with it through the years but haven't been a real die hard fan. I never really got into the books. I always enjoyed a good conversation about the EU and what went on but didn't get too involved with it.

Now that it looks like it's finally reborn and living again, I've been looking high and low for information, material and such.

I can't wait for the next episode to get here. I feel like I'm 6 years old again sometimes. I have a son who's 11 and only seen some of the films on the big screen. He's a fan also and we both look forward to the weekly TV shows and anticipate the Movie later this year.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Always good to see new faces welcome.

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome JohnMcD348! :)

So your son will experience SW almost the same way as you. That's cool, eh?

Just be sure, you don't need to be a die hard fan to have fun here. So take a look around and you'll find some great places for talks and new infos. :D

In case you like to "live" in the SW Galaxy, don't miss the rpg forum. They are always happy to see new players. :)

Enjoy your stay! :)

4. JohnMcD348

Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks.

Yes, He'll "almost" experience it the way I did. Only this time will be Full Digital IMAX, and I might even spring for the motion seats that night.....

When I first saw Star Wars, it was in a 100 year old converted theater that still had a balcony and orchestra pit. It was still the most phenomenal movie I'd sen in my 6 years then. Other than Empire, it still is. Nearly 40 years later and I still remember that night my Dad took me to see it the first time.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Motion seats? Sounds cool! Never heard of that in a normal cinema.

Do you think you remember it because of SW or because of the first time? I never seen the original OT in the cinema but I remember the first movie I've seen there. So I'd guess it's both in the end. ;)

6. JohnMcD348

Jan 11, 2015
    Oh no. That theater was a regular place to go for movies back when I was growing up in the 70's. That was back in the day, before Multiplexes when most movie theaters were usually 1 or 2 screen houses. Some of the "Big Houses" around had 3 screens but were a lot smaller. I saw a lot of movies there back then. Superman, Battle beyond the Stars, Countless Herbie the LoveBug, Apple Dumpling Gang, Smokey and the Bandit........

Star Wars was different. When the Screen went black and the opening came out with John Williams blaring through those Quadraphonic Stereo speakers all through the theater and then the battle scene with the ship flying into scene, everyone in that theater seemed aw struck. I remember, a few years ago, the TV series "That 70's Show" had the Star Wars episode and at the very end, they had the cast in the theater and their expressions when the screen lit up in the beginning took me back to the day I fell in love with that Franchise.

My father, who's a dyed in the wool, old school SciFi fan was speechless. This is a guy who's been reading SciFi since the early 50's and still has every book he's ever bought.

They still show movies there, but mainly Indie films and Artistic stuff.

Motion Seats are kinda a new things in some theaters. They vibrate, and move around to "Make you part of the movie......." I'm still not sold on the idea. I tried them with my Son and I for the last Superman movie and was far from impressed. I describe it best as if you were sitting in a seat and someone stands behind you and randomly grabs it and shakes the crap out of you.