main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[New (Old) Game!] Around the Arena - New Game signups under way!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth McClain, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh] Good. I'm used to dealing with people who might not get that. Yay for ESL training being in the forefront of my mind 24/7. 8-}

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm Australian, I don't know much about European soccer either. :p

3. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Are Inter the favorites to win the Champions League right now?
    I think they are. Barca is the consensus best side in the competition, but Mourinho's tactics and the team's execution shut them down brilliantly. They have a decided advantage against Lyon, but Bayern (and in particular Arjen Robben, who like Wesley Sneijder for Milan has transformed his team this year) are playing very well as well. However, while Barca is 2 goals down they smashed Arsenal 4-1 in their last home Champions League game (and in fact beat Inter 2-0 earlier in the group stage). You can't count them out. The difference is that Arsenal had to score, leaving their defense exposed...Milan have no such problem, and have conceded less than 1 goal per game on average this season. Inter should deservedly be the favourites from here.

Did the Italian side benefit from Barca's travel complications regarding the volcanic ash?
    Travelling 10 hours by chartered luxury bus over 2 days should not be the decisive factor in any game. However, did it benefit Milan at all? Undeniably so. Barca play a freeflowing brand of attacking football, and any lethargy is going to impact heavily on them. Being off by 10% leaves them vulnerable, especially at the back. Since their defense is so good at pressing forward a missed pass or ball giveaway can mean trouble. While I didn't see the game, Barcelona's 63% of possession but loss of the game indicates that this was a problem. So I believe they did benefit, but the main reason for the victory was superior tactics and execution.

Will José Mourinho still be the Inter coach next season?
    While Serie A is well known for a coaching roundabout (25 managerial changes so far this year) Mourinho leaving requires a high profile job to go to. If he delivers a second consecutive Serie A title and Champions League victory (they're only 1 point behind the leaders right now) he'll be a god in Milan and they'll be desperate to keep him. Where would he go instead? Real Madrid? I doubt after his trouble with Abramovich he'd want to move to a club with an equally interfering president who will want to direct the signing of players. Liverpool and Manchester United are embroiled in ownership problems and debt issues, and Abramovich is still at Chelsea. I think Mourinho is too intelligent to leave a stable and successful situation for one fraught with difficulties, and too arrogant to risk his reputation like that. So yes, he'll still be at Inter next season.

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_talk_hand]

:p

I actually did know that. Not quite sure what I was thinking. 8-}

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Since Marcus is the only one who posted an answer, and it is the weekend, I'll extend the deadline until Sunday at midnight PST.

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    C'mon people, you think I knew much about ice hockey before I had to write that?

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_thinking] This is slightly problematic. I don't think that Jedi_Johnson's logged on since I sent out the announcement for the new topic. The questions are fairly straight forward, for the rest of you.

Our next topic is related to the upcoming Kentucky Derby. I need to confer with 'sey before posting the next topic. So, get those answers in really quickly!

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    How we looking on this now eh? :p

9. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I'm totally sorry for falling off the face of the earth the last few days... I got busy with some mess with my work. They do still own my soul despite just getting back from a deployment with them. I'm stopping in briefly to say hello, but I'm due to be busy through the week.

I suck, I know. :( Just mute me with the spirit with which Reali mutes Mariotti. :p

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Not my fault the Caps loose two in a row. :p

Well, Trikes is muted. That still leaves Trimaj. Do you want to accept a mute and move on?

11. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, i'll hit on one of them just a little bit. durned liver needs to stop acting up.

anyway, the question about scheduling and delay in traveling: there's two ways to look at this.

firstly: it can completely throw a team off. they get used to things being on time, on a schedule, and then all of a sudden it's not. in someways, yes that would give the home team a slight advantage. getting thrown out of a rhythm matters in sports, no matter what one it is. maybe not quite so much as something like football or baseball, but it's still there.

secondly: it gives both teams more time to prepare and practice, which in some ways can kind of negate the first part of this.

so basically... i think it really doesn't make that big of a difference. the extra practice and prep should pretty much cancel out any advantage from having the teams schedule/rhythm thrown off.

that's really about all i have to say, honestly.

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Fair enough, Trimaj. Because our next topic is time sensitive (Kentucky Derby), Jedi_Johnson and Trikes are both violently muted. Use your imagination to find out how. :p

Marcus: I agree. Before Wesley Sneijder's injury (after your post), Milan were definitely the favorites. (+ 1). I wouldn't count Barca out - they still have a lot of talent on their team (+ 1). I agree, the travel difficulties shouldn't be used to create sympathy for Barca. It was certainly an inconvenience, but you have to give credit where credit is due (+ 1). Ronaldo has mentioned wanting Mourinho at Madrid, but, you're right, he'll probably stay at Inter (+1).

Trimaj: I agree, travel difficulties that don't involve jet lag really shouldn't be used as excuses. Yep, extra prep time is good. (+2)

Scores for this round...
    Marcus: 4
    Trimaj: 2
    Trikes: -1
    J_J: -1

Total scores...
    Marcus: 14
    Trimaj: 11
    J_J: 9
    Trikes: 8

Next topic will be up very quickly.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [image=http://blog.silive.com/weather/2009/05/gal_derby2.jpg]

Well, it's time to start the big name horse races that will capture America's attention this summer. The Kentucky Derby is coming up on May 1, and that's our next topic.

Our resident Arena horse-living moddess, s65horsey, has kindly given me her favorite (Mission Impazible) and longshot (American Lion). You're job is to explain why these are good choices, or why another horse should be chosen. 'sey will be grading this round, and make sure to get your answers in by the Kentucky Derby, or else you'll be muted.

Let's hear your takes, commentators!

14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    How you like my prediction now, Darth McReali?! It was even due to lights-out goaltending. :p

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    If you are tied and facing elimination, I just might remember that. :p

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Just a reminder, the Kentucky Derby is tomorrow! Get those comments in quick!

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I guess they don't like your topics :p

I don't know why, I like this one :) Even if I'd have trouble knowing what to say [face_laugh]

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It doesn't help when half of my panelists are incommunicado. :p Jedi_Johnson hasn't checked in for about a week, and the Government still owns Trika's soul. :p

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Struggling for motivation when nobody seems to be able to get into a debate. Plus horse racing is one of the few sports I have absolutely no interest in or knowledge about. :p

Anyways...

Mission Impazible...decent odds, in the third line it seems. Looked good over his last few starts, and I like the increasing length, even without a race of the same distance. But American Lion has a couple of impressive runs over similar distances (even if they are only G3 races) so I like that pick as an outsider more. Good value on the bet, and with the form on the board I'm loving American Lion for an each-way.

Is there another horse I'd pick for a win? With so many contenders having few races, hard to get a clear line and I have no knowledge of how any horse likes track conditions or their barrier. So I'll take a wild shot based on my usual method- coolest name. Unfortunately the field is lacking in form in that area, so I'm picking the still-lackluster Sidney's Candy. And 3 consecutive wins in G2s, and what I would guess is favourable barrier, I like his chances. As an outsider, definitely Homeboykris, particularly if it rains...big odds but he's well rated on a wet track, supposedly.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks, Marcus! Next topic will be NBA, I promise. Although, I don't know if it helps you. :p

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Alright, I've given Trimaj all the time he's going to get or I'm gonna be writing this up as the gates open. He's been online and posting in another game.

Marcus - showed knowledge of prep races for the Derby and the increasing length leading up to is (+1), likes American Lion (+1) Picked Sidney's Candy who is going off at an excellent chance in the Derby with an upstart Joe Talamo in the saddle (+2).

I'm sorry people didn't want to debate with you.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks 'sey, for pinch-judging for me! As promised the next topic will be about the NBA playoffs. It'll be posted later today.

23. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sorry sey, i just don't know ANYTHING about horse racing. at all.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sorry about the delay in posting our next topic.

But here we go!

[image=http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0503/nba_g_lebron1_200.jpg]

The King is MVP Again! LeBron James won his second consecutive MVP award a few days ago. Does this change anything about his chances of staying in Cleveland this summer? If the Cavs don't win the NBA title this year, will LeBron's MVPs be devalued?

Let's go Around the Arena!

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    Does this change anything about his chances of staying in Cleveland this summer?

i don't really see why it would. if you look at the article that about james that ian thomasen wrote, it's reasonably obvious that james understands that keeping all of this up in the air only benefits him in terms of marketing. the more questions there are, the more his name's out there. there is no reason for him to end them. however, based one the way he's acted, and what he said in akron, i would personally be very surprised if james were to leave. he keeps going back, and tries to make sure he doesn't forget where he came from, and that others know it, and if he left it would make him appear to be nothing but a manipulator. and i don't think he wants that. while yes, there are other places that could potentially offer him a better position to win, he made it a point to bring the entire team up onto the stage with him. this shows that he realizes that while he may be the best in the league, that he can't do it alone. this is his team, and he knows how to play with all these guys. if he leaves he'll just have to learn how to play with new people, instead of someone else integrating into the system he's used to. for the reasons i've outlined, i don't believe he's leaving and i don't think this second MVP changes that in the slightest.

If the Cavs don't win the NBA title this year, will LeBron's MVPs be devalued?

i have one question to ask about this: are the MVPs of those who haven't won a championship devalued by them not winning? no. steve nash has won it twice, and hasn't one. that doesn't devalue what he did those years in the least. what's more nash did the exact same thing, winning it two years in a row. what he did those years stands on it's own, and while it would have been nice to have won a championship, he was the most valuable player for his team those two years, and by extension the most valuable player in the league during the regular season. you have the same situation with lebron, he was unquestionably the most valuable player in the league this year. there can be no debate of this, and the intrinsic value of that is not lessened by not winning a championship. he is still young, and has many years ahead of him to win championships. were he to win one this year it would increase the value of it, but not winning one does not decrease it. think about peyton manning. he's won the MVP several times, and during the season he was unquestionably the most valuable player to his team, and made the biggest difference. people argued with him winning it the year that he came back from a knee injury, but if you look at how bad the colts were when he was out of synch (and we all know sorgi wouldn't have done any better than the out of synch manning) and then how he led them into the playoffs despite the rest of the injuries that they had that year, and there were a lot even to the point that he was throwing to people off the practice squad by the end of the year, that his value was unquestionably established. when your team makes it to the playoffs because of you, and without you it's obvious they wouldn't, then you are the most valuable player in the league. lebron is that to the cavs, without him they go nowhere. because of that his value, and the value of his MVPs, is unquestionable and can only go up the farther they go into the playoffs. i would also point out that the lack of championships didn't effect the value of michael jordan, and we all know what ended up happening with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.