main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New (or Old) Republic?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I just can't see ROTJ being the end with a peaceful solution. After the decay of the Republic and oppressiveness of the Empire I can see multiple groups rising up and other planets being neutral with no relation to the Empire or Rebellion. I'm cool with that. Then some new threat in the ST unites them all. Love your idea for the FT. The format is similar to PT-OT-NJO book series-Legacy comics from the EU.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always been a fan of sequels taking place far ahead in the future, where much has happened in the time between, and familiar characters' lives/situations are very different. I will love that even about TFA, as it seems will be the case.

That was one thing I loved about IJ and the Kingdom....Skull. All that time had passed, and we heard brief mentions about him being a double agent and WWII hero. Prince Caspian was similar-the Pevensie children returned to Narnia about 1300 years after they left, and had to figure out what happened in the meantime. Also, The Dark Knight Rises-8 years later, Gotham is held under siege after years of peace.

SW Ep. X-XII could do something similar-but in order to do so, Ep. IX would need to have a peaceful ending with some sense of finality.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    A cold war state would be a perfect setting for a star wars film. I can just picture both sides fighting small fire fights while trying to keep the peace, also showing some grey on both sides, while a mysterious figure trying to cause a total war.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see an OT Character involved ST and a no OT Character involved ST. Your examples are good. I agree.

5. Mojo120

Mojo120 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2014
    I think you have to have some form of New Republic or the hero's of the OT look like they didn't actually acomplish all that much. That said it obviously can't be too powerful because there has to be a big conflict.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    But there's absolutely no reference to wanting a New Republic in the OT.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Exactly, there was an alliance, which to me means a group of independent factions joined for common cause: to destroy an oppressive Empire. The goal afterwards could just as easily be "no empire and then we go our separate ways in freedom".
    It's not like the US and the Allied Powers in WWII formed a government afterward.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking.

9. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Although many of the European powers (including the ones that were defeated) banded together to form the European Community, which became the European Union, which is essentially a supra-national government. Also, the US, its European allies, and others (Canada, Australia...) formed a permanent civil-military Alliance with a governing structure, called NATO. Which was primarily aimed at containing the Soviet Union, a former ally...

In this context, I would have been happy to see the Rebel Alliance remain, and the new enemy be a former ally (perhaps one of the seedier factions of the rebel alliance). This former ally, instead of following up on the Empire's demise with cooperation, decides to grab as much territory and power as possible.

How about The Bothan Union? :)

10. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Double Post

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I hope there is a Bothan politician who is unhappy or in a bad mood so Han can ask "Why the long face?" :D

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I hope the Alliance military gets some action in TFA and the rest of the ST.

I'm all for the "Ewoks taking down t the Galactic Empire" angle, but after the awesome Clones fights in the Prequels and TCW, there is no going back ...[​IMG]

:D

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    This is why I think that a Galactic Alliance would be cool, because It could be a Federation or a loose Confederation.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

Galactic Alliance would be better. I still think it should not be galaxt-wide, though. See my first post in this thread.

15. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I agree with you and I just think Galactic Alliance is a great name for a Star Wars faction.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    One advantage is that Galactic Alliance differentiates itself from the Old Republic and would feel like a continuation of the OT. Plus it might give the impression of new forms of government, since the Old Senate was deadlocked half the time.

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I know it is all secondary to the plot and characters, but I do hope Abrams and Kasdan out a little thought into the new political set up of the GFFA - even if it is just little bit of information or a few details and it is expanded in the VIII, IX, the spinoffs and the books.

I like political skulduggery and it is an important back drop to to the action Star Wars.

A brief few minutes of "Game of Thrones" type power plays and a Bothan Francis Urquhart snaking his way to the big office would be cool. An assassin targeting a major political figure would be a bonus.

Lucas got the balance right in the Prequels, so I hope Abrams does something in that regard, no matter how big or small.

18. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    Whatever form of government steps up to the plate, it needs to be something strong enough to maintain peace and order in the galaxy but I am sure there will be safeguards in place to prevent the executive office from becoming too powerful (as to prevent another Palpatine).

19. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Governments, IMO. Plural.

Hoggsquattle and darklordoftech like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    United Federation of Planets

21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I wonder if there will be another form of government besides Alliance or Empire in TFA. Having three rival governments in the galaxy would give a unique spin to what were used to. We usually just see two opposing sides in star wars, more then two might shake that up a bit.

22. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I would also like to see a more complex galactic governance disintegration, leading to a Dark Age Europe situation (as opposed to a NATO/ Warsaw Pact faceoff). But we're not likely to see something like that in the ST, unfortunately. Perhaps in the 30 years prior?

23. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

If that's the case they might as well just do what the L:EU did and have a smooth transition to a new republic. Any fracturing of the galaxy would take a lot longer than 30 years to fix. After the Roman Empire collapsed, Europe took over a thousand years to bounce back and it's literally NEVER been as unified since.

I remain stuck to a Warring States China/Dark Age Europe configuration for the Galaxy for three reasons...

1) It makes logical sense. As i stated in my first post in this thread, it is highly unlikely that the Galaxy would remain cohesive after the Galaxy-wide government collapsed. Not to mention how it took place in ROTJ. In ROTS there was already infrastructure in place (Same senate, same army, same fleet, etc...), and really it was just a "meet the new boss" situation. However, in ROTJ there was nothing in place. The rebellion would have been IT, literally only the planets involved in the rebel alliance would be bound together. In such a situation Tatooine would suddenly be in the Hutts control, etc... Most non rebel planets would suddenly be on their own, unless the imp presence was strong enough to maintain control of them. In other words, there would be no smooth transition. A smooth one makes no sense at all.

2) It gives the events of the Battle of Endor long lasting ramifications for the Galaxy as a whole, as much as it does for our characters.

3) Stories could be told in such a scenario for decades to come. It would be centuries before any new republic achieved it's Pre-Empire size and influence.

24. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree 100%. The collapse of the government of a mere subcontinent in roughly 476AD (the Western Roman Empire) led to a governance disintegration that, as you suggest, has only just begun to fully reverse itself (with the 28-nation EU) in 2015. The idea that the disintegration of a Galactic Empire would resolve itself in a mere 30 years is preposterous, IMO, unless it is established that one or two powers have superweapons capable of destroying planets/ star systems. Such weapons used by rational and ambitious actors can prevent disintegration, and enforce a relatively stable world order. That, it seems, is the route that JJ and company have gone with. I'm fine with that. But like you, I also wanted to see a Galactic Dark Age! Would have been great to witness the decline of technology, and the rise of superstition, as a Dark Age parallel.

25. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Those Bothans... always trying to setup their own dominion. Heck, even the old EU gave them 'Bothan Space'.

Another thing to consider would be the 'Separatist Holdouts' that the EU mentioned as one of the groups that formed the early Rebel Alliance. We could see a whole lot of worlds trying to be independent from central authority entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.