main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Paul S. Kemp Duology

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Over on the Official Site, Sue has just confirmed that they've signed Paul S. Kemp, author of Crosscurrent, Riptide, and TOR: Deceived to ride a brand new duology. She knows no other information at the moment. Let the speculation... BEGIN!

2. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

3. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Eh. I wasn't too impressed with Crosscurrent, so this mostly merits a "meh" from me. Hopefully Riptide and Deceived are improvements over his debut--ditto this new duology. We shall see. :)

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Boy, Del Rey loves this guy.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm intrigued...I really need to check out Crosscurrent since Del Rey is so hot on Kemp these days.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sweet- Crosscurrent was really fantastic, looking forward to more.

7. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Could've chosen worse in my opinion, even if I don't really see myself why Crosscurrent is hold in such high regard. It's not a bad novel, a little above average in my opinion, I don't just see it that high above it's peers as some seem to do.

Perhaps this is the first of the short series DR folks have said that will come after FotJ? So, will Kemp move from Jaden Korr to "heavier" (but to me personally far, far less likeable) character like Ben Skywalker?

8. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Personally, for me, I have a dream that'll never come true. I'm hoping for a duology set during the New Jedi Order starting Jaden Korr. Ahh... I can dream...

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's hard to have much of an opinion without knowing what the books will be about, but Kemp was fairly solid with Crosscurrent, so I'm optimistic at the moment.

10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    This would make me so happy.

I freakin loved Crosscurrent, so this is wonderfull news for me.[face_dancing]

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wow, awesome news! I really enjoyed Crosscurrent and judging by the excerpt Deceived looks promising as well. I'm guessing they won't come out until 2012 or later, since 2011 seems to have a full schedule. Here's hoping they'll be worth the wait.[face_peace]

12. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    Anybody else hoping this duology will be paperbacks rather than hardcover?

13. Cindrollic

Cindrollic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2007
    Oh, great. Any info on which characters he will make dark, angsty, brooding, unlikeable, and unrelateable this time? (since only the two angsty, and dark characters were the only ones in Crosscurrent with any kind of depth while everyone else was a one-dimensional cardboard cut out) Or will it be all original characters? LET THE SPECULATION COMMENCE!

Glad someone dose.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Another Kemp duology?! AWESOME![face_dancing]

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    One of the major reasons Crosscurrent stands out among the current crop is because it doesnt focus on the increasingly tired story of the Big 3 and instead focuses on minor characters and original characters, allowing the author to flesh them out in his own way. It isn't some galaxy-spanning war, it has decent original characters, and it can stand on its own as a novel, unlike the novels of FOTJ. Also, Kemps has a good handle on prose.

So color me optimistic for this duology! If Kemps has learned from the mistakes he made with the plot cohesiveness of Crosscurrent, then this could be pretty awesome :)

16. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    This is a major vote of confidence in Kemp's favour. They must have been really impressed with him at LucasArts. I'm curious to see in what era the duology will be set in.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Loved Crosscurrent, can't wait for Riptide, and I'm hoping this is more LotF/FotJ fare, myself. :D Presumably post-FotJ and involving characters who aren't mentioned in Abyss for kicks robbing Crosscurrent of all tension. ;) [face_laugh]

18. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    x2

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'll take it.

20. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    Although Crosscurrent was far from being perfect, it showed the big potential Kemp had. So I am pretty excited for this nexs :)

21. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Any information on when they would be released?

22. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Sue Rostoni states the following:

"We've signed Paul Kemp up for a duology -- I don't have any other information I can reveal at this time. We're not sure of the pub dates yet....nor the format (hardcover or paperback)... so no questions as I have no answers."

23. samuraix87

samuraix87 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 5, 2010
    i was at the offical forums on starwars.com and kemp confimed it on his twitter it would be hardcover

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Both? Hmmm. Curious. Must be a quite important arc.

25. samuraix87

samuraix87 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 5, 2010
    sue confirmed it on the offical forums that the duology books are hardcovers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.